Why do I bother supporting Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Mighty Hawk said:
Ah the pain is longer than i imagined :)

it is only relevant to when priority picks have been in existence. last year was our very 1st priority pick. and yes, stkilda have done the same - and they sold out too. everyone knows it, everyone says it. if they dont win a flag, they will be ridiculed for a very long time to come, because i tell you what - nothing funnier than seeing a cheat STILL lose

astro_toby said:
and the following year we improved dramatically by making producitve improvements to the team, which lead to an immediate improvement, with a very firm eye on the future. sure you will get better, and when you have 6-8 top 4picks running around the side in a few years, you will surely be better. but you sold out to do it
astro toby (Sorry for calling you astro boy :eek: ) you make alot of very valid points. I agree especially regarding supporter loyalty but lets keep the good terms going. We dont want a fight about a stupid matter like that. Yes we have made some mistakes in the past 10 years, we are trying our very hardest to rectify it.

astro_toby said:
look at the proof?

1)hired a completely untried coach, who is persisting with a gameplan which everyone in the football media believes is unproductive for the side you have

So other clubs have never done this, Danny Frawly? you remmeber him?

astro_toby said:
2) it is widely spoken terry did not want to coach hawthorn based on they strategy to building a flag capable side i.e he HAS a reputation as a winning coach, he wishes to keep.

HAHAHA very funny. A winning coach, how many flags has he won?

astro_toby said:
3) you CONTINUE to have a complete exodus off ALL senior players, and this season even a brownlow winning/ captain has been said to be leaving(despite it not happening - NO ONE was particulary shocked or suprised if it was true) and now even the talk is spida, an AA player for the club - could become trading fodder, along with Hay. blind freddy can see what your club is trying to achieve. you may not be deliberately losing, but you are making sure you limit your chances of success.

I disagree and cant be bothered explaining the reasons to you
becuase you would just twist them to suit your own argument.

I am all for getting rid of older players if we get a better deal for the club and it benefits us in the future and long term sucess.

astro_toby said:
the club though relies on your $$$$ to survive, and the fact the expect ppl to pay up and be a "real supporter" and support the team when its down, is especting its supporters to sit through 3-4 seasons i.e 66-88 games of this extremely long and extremely dramtic rebuilding stage. i don't mind sticking by my side when the chips are down, but what you are doing is similar to ppl exploiting welfare - a system put in to help those in need, and bleeding it for self gain and greed.

Not even worth responding too, absolutly ludicrous statement.
We are rebuilding it takes time and im prepared to wait.

You havent followed our club ao you wouldnt understand that last year was the first year in a proper rebuilding phase.

I hope your club tries to top up with mr wallet belieiving he has got a successful team on his hands and lets see it where it gets you.

astro_toby said:
name ONE thing, despite draft picks, that your club has done in the past two years to improve this side

I dont understand what your asking.

In todays league thats all you can do to mprove your side.

You have your hands tied, all you have is the draft system to
get players.

If you mean off the field then we have done so much more than your
pathetic excuse of a club.

Re: Why do I bother supporting Hawthorn?

MFHawks said:
Man, where to start?

I'm not going to get into drafting our stars (or coulda-beens), or the home-and-away split for next year, or the Melbourne Dorks schemozzle, or losing for draft picks (which we didn't do so it's a non-issue in my book)...

I bother supporting Hawthorn because I was given an old Wangaratta juniors jumper when I was 5.

Because I was beaten up in primary school more than once for wearing a brown'n'gold scarf.

Because I thought about changing teams back in '81 (hey, I was 11) and decided to stick with the Hawks.

Because while everyone else idolised Matthews and Knights, I thought Tuck was God.

Because I was a teenager in the 80's.

Because I learned about pain in the 90's.

Because the team I support almost ceased to exist.

Because I lived in Sydney for several years and hung on every scrap of news I could get about the Hawks.

Because I converted my Sydneysider wife to AFL and brought her back to Melbourne with me (you can imagine the screams at my place last weekend!).

Because my eldest daughter follows the Swans (her mum's team) and my youngest daughter follows the "Horforn Hawks."

Because, when it's all said and done... why wouldn't I?

They're my team.

;)
I uderstand and well done :)

All im saying is that we already have the base, we dont need to isolate what we already have got. The tradition and culture as well as history of our great club is long and very rich. I just dont want us to become the prositute of the AFL.

I think it is great that many other people share this blind faith in the Hawks. I remember a bet I made as a grade 9'er in 2001 that we would win the premiership...It was 300 bucks, as you can see I have always had a gambling problem, but the weird thing is every time I place a bet they lose, but when I dont they win!

Ive learnt my lesson :)

Re: Why do I bother supporting Hawthorn?

Hawkk said:
I just dont want us to become the prositute of the AFL.

I think you are letting the COmmonwealth Games cloud your
reasoning.

We are doing this for our country! wre is your loyalty :D

Mighty Hawk said:
So other clubs have never done this, Danny Frawly? you remmeber him?

HAHAHA very funny. A winning coach, how many flags has he won?

3)I disagree and cant be bothered explaining the reasons to you
becuase you would just twist them to suit your own argument.

I am all for getting rid of older players if we get a better deal for the club and it benefits us in the future and long term sucess.

Not even worth responding too, absolutly ludicrous statement.
We are rebuilding it takes time and im prepared to wait.

4)You havent followed our club ao you wouldnt understand that last year was the first year in a proper rebuilding phase.

I hope your club tries to top up with mr wallet belieiving he has got a successful team on his hands and lets see it where it gets you.

I dont understand what your asking.

5)In todays league thats all you can do to mprove your side.

You have your hands tied, all you have is the draft system to
get players.

6)If you mean off the field then we have done so much more than your
pathetic excuse of a club.

1)danny's gameplan only became crap in its final year, with the list disenchanted and over it. Clarkson has everyone passing it to each other until either eventually you turn it over, or the opposition lose interest. and yes Danny was a poor coach - is clarko too?

2) Wallace was a winning coach, took that team to spoon to finals in his 1st year at doggies and almost did the same at tigers. never won a spoon at the doggies and had a team which always fought and was capable of winning of any given day

3) since you can't be bothered explaining it, i have no idea of what you response is?

4) there is a difference between rebuilding and milking an exploitable system

5) no its not - again look at sydney, essendon, even geelong. They all had low(er) periods but didnt have to lose so much to gain PRIORITY picks to rebuild They have maintainted a steady flow of flags and/or impressive finals without bottoming out. its called being competent at your job. your failing to be spoon fed talent. Your doing it the stkilda way. one priority pick isnt a big deal, but once you are earning them in multiple years and still - find it "reasonable" to TRADE your BEST BLOODY players only for Picks is shameful. all that great respect you earnt durring the 80's will NOT be there when you finally do start winning with this team. graham quite obviously had another year left in him, performed extremely well for us, and still, he was shown the door by a side which he OBVIOUSLY still capable of making the starting 22 of??

6) i dont mean off field. i mean in terms of gaining and developing a stronger onfield

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawkk said:
I think it is great that many other people share this blind faith in the Hawks. I remember a bet I made as a grade 9'er in 2001 that we would win the premiership...It was 300 bucks, as you can see I have always had a gambling problem, but the weird thing is every time I place a bet they lose, but when I dont they win!

Ive learnt my lesson :)
Please don't bet on us next year if thats the case lol

Hawkk said:

Ive learnt my lesson

YOu are not the only one. ;)

MFHawks said:
It was the only way he could get a pair of spoons.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, thanks for the laugh, Fantastic! :D

MFHawks said:
It was the only way he could get a pair of spoons. :cool:

maybe not

just occured to me that the term winning the spoon finally has some relevance in the modern age i.e being spoon fed

Mighty Hawk said:
YOu are not the only one.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, thanks for the laugh, Fantastic! :D
Mighty Hawk whats your story :)

MBFHawk for you...
spfsal02.jpg

A question for you, astro_toby.

You seem to be saying that the Hawks played for priority draft picks in 2005.

Does that mean that we threw our last match against Richmond? The one your team (no, not Carlton... I wish you'd pick a team and stick with it) won in the dying seconds?

If we DID throw it... then your boys weren't good enough to win fairly.
If we DIDN'T throw it... then we went down fighting, and obviously weren't playing for draft picks.

Now turn it around. If draft picks are the be-all-and-end-all of the modern game, then why didn't Richmond throw that match? You had no realistic chance of making the finals, and by losing you'd deny us the priority picks and get earlier picks yourself as a result.

And in case you're wondering, this is exactly what my Richmond buddy at work was hoping would happen. He wanted to lose.

Hawkk said:
Mighty Hawk whats your story

I have a Richmond mate that infuriates me, we have always finished above the ferals and i have the last laugh at the end of the year.

He taunted me so much over the summer and said so many stupid comments (like so many feral supporters) that i bet him we would finish above them
this year)

But at least they didnt make it in the 8 again (i had a good time calling them
Ninthmond for a few weeks) :D

Hawkk said:
MBFHawk for you...
spfsal02.jpg

HAHAHA :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Why do I bother supporting Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Back