Why do you support the club you follow?

Remove this Banner Ad

Started supporting Saints when I was old enough to be aware of AFL. Tony Lockett was the big thing at the time.

20 odd years now and never looked back. Have a soft spot for the Dons as Dad is a big bombers fan.

No one in my family supports the same team though aha.

Would be interesting to find out how many people became Saints supporters because of Tony Lockett, a fair few I'd say.

People always wonder how St Kilda has such a strong following with their lack of premiership success but they have had some great players which helps attract supporters. In my time supporting the Saints we haven't won any premierships but there has never been any shortage of stars.

I had a choice between Carlton(dad) and Geelong(mum)

my older brother supported Carlton as well and seeing as he was my role model I followed suite!!

I am 19 but I do remember sitting in the shed with dad and me bro watching the 1999 GF , didn't really understand to much back then though!!!

My older brother got me. He supported the Cats, while Dad followed Carlton. Dad loves his footy, so I reckon before I was old enough to get to games by myself, I'd probably been to three times as many Carlton games as Geelong.

I support the eagles through little choice. My life growing up was West Perth and that was all that mattered.

The AFL with the way it formed did not include West Perth so as a football follower and wanting to have an interest in the highest level of football it was easy to pick the WA side which was the Eagles.

but still to this day i get more pleasure from West perth winning a flag than I do from the Eagles winning one even though now i have been a member of the Eagles for 21 years.

I grew up in the 60's with a dad who was a passionate Tigers supporter and a mum who grew up in Geelong and was a passionate Cats supporter.

My younger brother knew where his meals came from and supported the Cats. I supported the Demons so pleased no one.

Why? Largely Barassi because he was Captain of the Demons and I got to see him as a kid on TV when he spoke directly to kids on a kids show about how to play football.

I still follow Melbourne but living in Brisbane I just can't bring myself to follow the Lions even though when they can't use the Gabba they train at my son's team's ground. We are members at the Suns.

I really like their culture and the way they have engaged with their communities and supporters. Having sat behind the bench when McKenna has been coaching I have also really enjoyed the way he has encouraged and moulded the young kids he has.

Will continue on as a member next year too.

Pretty much followed the football club that my old man took me to

In the early 80's the only football club I followed was Carey Park. As a kid running around the changerooms and the oval it was awesome.

We moved to Perth in '84 and my old man dragged me to West Perth games and I was a fairly avid Falcons supporter - still remembering the lemon squash at the Leederville hotel afterwards.

In '87 the old man bought memberships to WCE and basically started going to Eagles games. There was nothing better than the hotdog and choc milk watching Kempy, Matera, Jako and Suma do their thing.

Both of my sons have had WC scarves adorn their bassinets upon leaving the maternity hospital. They will have a choice as to who they support though. They can support WC or they can live on the streets and support who they like. Luckily for me Nic Naitanui seems to be doing a fairly good job of locking in my eldest's support at this stage.

My parents were imigrants and I was brought up in West Footscray so I always sort of subconsciously supported the dogs but never really paid attention to footy because my family (and subsequently I) regarded it as a primitive and aggressive sport.

Then I was taught football in PE class in year 10 (2009) and my teacher was saying how Geelong would smash the bulldogs in one of the matches during the season so I decided to tune in. They caught up after trailing by 40 or so points only to lose by 2 points (I think?) after Johnno missing the shot after the siren. First full match of AFL I had ever watched and I've been supporting them every since :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Born into it, both parents are St Kilda. There was never any thought of doing anything different.

Grew up going to Moorabbin and Waverley Park, watching Burke, Harvey, Loewe, Winmar and Plugger.

Would never dream of supporting anyone else, love St Kilda through thick and thin.

Watching 'The Winners' on ABC TV when I was 8 when they showed the infamous game between Geelong and Hawthorn when Lethal belted Bruns behind the play. I thought that was a little uncalled for and with Jacko kicked off I went for Geelong and have done ever since with the Eagles and Dockers coming in.

With a gun to my head I would always be a Cardies fan first and foremost though.

One parent is an immigrant and the other one an out of stater, so we had no direction for AFL.
When we moved to Melbourne and the older brothers started school, one picked Carlton and the other Hawthorn (80s LOL) I was too young to be interested. Mum brought us AFL team placemats, the boys got their team and I got a Melbourne one. But the Hawthorn placemat was soo much cooler, so I threw a wobbly, immediately becoming a Hawthorn supporter. :eek:
And I have remained that way ever since.
86, 88, 89 and 91 probably helped that dedication, :eek:

My old man was an eagles supporter so I had no choice :D

But also being born in '89, I was watching the eagles dominate and I loved the blue and yellow combo.

Above all else I absolutely loved Chris MainwaringI watched the news because he was on it and I had number 3 on everything! The couple of times I got to meet Mainy as a kid were truely special for me.

Interesting to see so many not based on location, kudos to those who support interstate teams and stick with it :thumbsu: As you can imagine interstate Freo fans have never had it easy so I've a huge respect for those that turn out to cheer them on, for many years knowing full well what they were going to get.

For me I remember watching a bit of the Eagles as a kid but never really followed footy all that closely and ended up playing League as a teenager. I'm south of Freo and so when they came in they were the team for me and I've been a die hard Freo and AFL fan since then.

Its a family tradition to follow East Fremantle. My dad, grandad and before him all were strong East Fremantle supporters and every now and again we sign up as members.

I waited until a team came out of Fremantle as I knew it would. Jumped on board from day 1 and won't ever change my mind.

All my family are Carlton fans. I have a brother who is 10 years older than me and when he was about 15 he decided to piss my old man off by changing teams, he picked the roos and brainwashed me (I was 5 at the time). I have stuck with the roos ever since and my old man is still dirty on it 26 years later :p.

Remove this Banner Ad

Why do you support the club you follow?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back