Why Geelong will overtake Hawthorn and become the on field AFL powerhouse

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You keep going on with the mumbo jumbo.

Sydney needed the COLA to get players there as the life style is much more expensive, sydney just used a loop hole and the afl did a typical knee jerk reaction, which will end up hurting the swans. Sydney are now not in the top 3 best run clubs. Collingwood is easily top 3.

I don't know what your thing about hawthorn needing picks 10 years ago will affect them in the future, yes it helped us in the past or present at that time because it was meant to, know knew that one of the players would become one of the best bigman in the league, even when he wasn't meant to go that high (roughead).

Also having a 'well run' club like hawthorn will get the players in no matter what the situation of the playing group is or ladder position.......sarcasm. Every team has low points, some just in different ways

Reality is players will most likely choose success and then move if they want that lifestyle after footy especially if that team is struggling (geelong). Who says that carlton and essendon will get back up? They have a young list of talent, thought you didn't pay much attention young talented teams because is usually doesn't work out.....

Also if Geelong is such a good club with finance and stuff why all the pay outs from the government?

Think GC26 is trying to say that the success of the HFC in recent decades has been partially achieved through the privilege of zoning and priority picks.

Whether he / she is right or wrong is a debate for another time, but I think that's the gist of their statement.

Think GC26 is trying to say that the success of the HFC in recent decades has been partially achieved through the privilege of zoning and priority picks.

Whether he / she is right or wrong is a debate for another time, but I think that's the gist of their statement.

Look every clubs gets their own way a bit. hawks got the two picks and so did geelong for ablett, no other team has got two picks for a player leaving, so theres just one point.

Going off seasons end i would call it a struggle. Look theres no doubt improvement will come, none what so ever, but maybe just not as much as the cats supporters hope.

Missed the finals for the first time in what, 10 years?

It was bound to happen given the inevitable struggle with the injuries, equalisation and sometimes bad decisions that every club makes from time to time.

We've attracted some talent, our destiny is our own. How our club progresses remains to be seen, but riding the highs and lows is part of the ride.

Meanwhile, your battle to resist the inevitable is just beginning.

No matter though, I think the games between our clubs will remain as competitive as any no matter what.

Look every clubs gets their own way a bit. hawks got the two picks and so did geelong for ablett, no other team has got two picks for a player leaving, so theres just one point.

As I said, I wasn't saying GC26's opinion was right or wrong.

You got 2 picks because your club was in a poor state, we got 2 players as compensation in recognition of the game's best player being lost to the club.

Swings and roundabouts.

As I said, I wasn't saying GC26's opinion was right or wrong.

You got 2 picks because your club was in a poor state, we got 2 players as compensation in recognition of the game's best player being lost to the club.

Swings and roundabouts.

yeah i know that. I was just saying every clubs gets a little bit more some point in time. Crazycat just seems to be oblivious

You keep going on with the mumbo jumbo.

Sydney needed the COLA to get players there as the life style is much more expensive, sydney just used a loop hole and the afl did a typical knee jerk reaction, which will end up hurting the swans. Sydney are now not in the top 3 best run clubs. Collingwood is easily top 3.

I don't know what your thing about hawthorn needing picks 10 years ago will affect them in the future, yes it helped us in the past or present at that time because it was meant to, know knew that one of the players would become one of the best bigman in the league, even when he wasn't meant to go that high (roughead).

Also having a 'well run' club like hawthorn will get the players in no matter what the situation of the playing group is or ladder position.......sarcasm. Every team has low points, some just in different ways

Reality is players will most likely choose success and then move if they want that lifestyle after footy especially if that team is struggling (geelong). Who says that carlton and essendon will get back up? They have a young list of talent, thought you didn't pay much attention young talented teams because is usually doesn't work out.....

Also if Geelong is such a good club with finance and stuff why all the pay outs from the government?

Hawthorn didn't win their premierships from great list management like Geelong did , the won them largely due to receiving early draft picks .We are talking about picks 1,2,3,5 and 6.

Some players will wait until the end of their careers , but most will want to enjoy the period of their lives from the age of 18 too early 30's and move to were they want to live .This never changes for Geelong , no matter were we are on the ladder .

As Hawthorn decline down the ladder your recent premierships become irrelevant , players will not find Hawthorn as attractive.

Carlton and Essendon will be back without a doubt , its just a question of when .Essendon just have a massive supporter base which gives them the potential to generate a massive amount of revenue that they will utilize at some point in the future.Carlton have a large supporter base that's loaded up with cash that they will also utilize at some point in the future .

With regards to Geelong getting money of the government for Skilled stadium ,Geelong has spent millions of dollars on skilled stadium ,how much money have Hawthorn spent on the MCG ?

Missed the finals for the first time in what, 10 years?

It was bound to happen given the inevitable struggle with the injuries, equalisation and sometimes bad decisions that every club makes from time to time.

We've attracted some talent, our destiny is our own. How our club progresses remains to be seen, but riding the highs and lows is part of the ride.

Meanwhile, your battle to resist the inevitable is just beginning.

No matter though, I think the games between our clubs will remain as competitive as any no matter what.

You can go off the season, not the past. this year geelong struggled, so they were a struggling club. Will happen to the hawks. don't take offence

yeah i know that. I was just saying every clubs gets a little bit more some point in time. Crazycat just seems to be oblivious

Every club has it's optimistic and pessimistic supporters, with extremes in both camps.

We have our share, and some will tell you that we're a shoe-in to win the premiership next year, while others will adamantly tell you that our club, coaching and playing list is a trainwreck, and so the club should be dissolved to avoid embarrassment.

I love my club, and ride the highs and lows with them, in the belief that one day we will win the premiership again. Above all, I try to remain humble in victory, gracious in defeat. Blame my grandad for that.

Hawthorn didn't win their premierships from great list management like Geelong did , the won them largely due to receiving early draft picks .We are talking about picks 1,2,3,5 and 6.

Some players will wait until the end of their careers , but most will want to enjoy the period of their lives from the age of 18 too early 30's and move to were they want to live .This never changes for Geelong , no matter were we are on the ladder .

As Hawthorn decline down the ladder your recent premierships become irrelevant , players will not find Hawthorn as attractive.

Carlton and Essendon will be back without a doubt , its just a question of when .Essendon just have a massive supporter base which gives them the potential to generate a massive amount of revenue that they will utilize at some point in the future.Carlton have a large supporter base that's loaded up with cash that they will also utilize at some point in the future .

With regards to Geelong getting money of the government for Skilled stadium ,Geelong has spent millions of dollars on skilled stadium ,how much money have Hawthorn spent on the MCG ?

Where do you gets picks 1,5 and 6 from? I'm pretty sure we traded? thats fair?

why will essendon and carlton be back. just saying without a doubt doesn't make your point a valid one. large supporter base and money doesn't mean a thing if your club is at the bottom, thats not attractive to players.

thats the benefit of not owning your own ground. haha

You can go off the season, not the past. this year geelong struggled, so they were a struggling club. Will happen to the hawks. don't take offence

No offence taken.

Yes, 'in the moment' Geelong struggled this year, as a variety of reasons colluded to ensure it was so. For the same reasons the HFC will struggle soon too.

I'm quietly optimistic about our future though, but it remains to be seen. Been wrong before, will be so again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No offence taken.

Yes, 'in the moment' Geelong struggled this year, as a variety of reasons colluded to ensure it was so. For the same reasons the HFC will struggle soon too.

I'm quietly optimistic about our future though, but it remains to be seen. Been wrong before, will be so again.

Look it goes two ways imho.
1. geelong get 1 premiership with dangerfield and selwood and all the fans are happy
2. No success and heads are called for, and geelong crazy will be leading the way

Look it goes two ways imho.
1. geelong get 1 premiership with dangerfield and selwood and all the fans are happy
2. No success and heads are called for

Yep, no doubt the GFC have made a calculated play for a GF in the next couple of years. It pays off and the supporters will laud the clubs hierarchy.

It doesn't, heads will roll.

But I think the HFC will be in the same predicament in the not too distant future. Will be just as interesting to see how they cope and adjust.

Yep, no doubt the GFC have made a calculated play for a GF in the next couple of years. It pays off and the supporters will laud the clubs hierarchy.

It doesn't, heads will roll.

But I think the HFC will be in the same predicament in the not too distant future. Will be just as interesting to see how they cope and adjust.

I think if hawks supporters aren't happy with the era, then they are just plain and simple bandwagoners. Every team goes through the rebuild or slow slump

I think that it is doubtful that any players would buy a home near Corio.
Only Peter Riccardi. I lived in the same court about 20 years ago. Kicked the footy on more than one occasion and even frequented inside his abode.

*could be anywhere between 10 and 20 years ago.

We've traded in thru fa what the injuries have done to that very age group weve lost. And now that lost group are back of soughts...big ??? Cowan n menz but i think it creates depth.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Just thought I'd drop in and share a little fact with you guys. Before the Grand Final in '07, you guys were on 6 flags and we were on 9. Three flags ahead (despite affording you an almost 3 decade head start, and being the laughing stock of the VFL for 30 years). 8 years later, you guys have had the greatest period of success in your club's entire century-plus history, and yet we have still extended our lead over you. 13-9. Maybe it's just me, but I would find that rather daunting if the situation was reversed. Especially since you have delusions of grandeur regarding 'overtaking' us...
Must feel good to get told off on your own board for posting in this thread:rainbow:

You are aware nearly all in this thread aren't posting delusionally.

Oh and leave that flag chest puffing over at Maybloom central :thumbsu:

I'd call it a risky decision that didn't pay off.

He clearly had the ability, and if they could've kept him on the park, as they believed, it might've been an inspired selection.

Alas, they couldn't, and it wasn't.

Win some, lose some. Worth the shot, though hindsight says we should've kept our powder dry.

mate, it was an absurd decision, one in which I was totally against at the time. I reckon our supporter base was split in half on that decision. Some were jumping with joy and thought McIntosh was the missing piece of the puzzle whilst the other half felt he was far too fragile to take a punt on.
I don't care what term you wish to use, McIntosh was simply a ridiculous choice. One we never should have taken. Just remember, he cost Geelong pick 38. Stephen Wells has recruited Motlop, Vardy, Christensen, Horlin-Smith, Kersten, Jansen & Kolodjashnij with picks 38-41 over the last six years. That is a good bunch of players right there.

Why did we get Mitch Clark for?
The guy is the very epitome of injury riddled. Even worse than McIntosh. I struggle to understand why our recruiters picked him.
I know it was part of a complex trade deal but why couldn't we have just tried to off load Varcoe for a third rounder instead. Quite a lot of clubs would have jumped at the chance to snag Varcoe. Outside running types who can kick goals are always handy. We could have used that pick to draft in a young key forward and began the development phase.

Some of these decisions are really hurting us now.

mate, it was an absurd decision, one in which I was totally against at the time. I reckon our supporter base was split in half on that decision. Some were jumping with joy and thought McIntosh was the missing piece of the puzzle whilst the other half felt he was far too fragile to take a punt on.
I don't care what term you wish to use, McIntosh was simply a ridiculous choice. One we never should have taken. Just remember, he cost Geelong pick 38. Stephen Wells has recruited Motlop, Vardy, Christensen, Horlin-Smith, Kersten, Jansen & Kolodjashnij with picks 38-41 over the last six years. That is a good bunch of players right there.

Why did we get Mitch Clark for?
The guy is the very epitome of injury riddled. Even worse than McIntosh. I struggle to understand why our recruiters picked him.
I know it was part of a complex trade deal but why couldn't we have just tried to off load Varcoe for a third rounder instead. Quite a lot of clubs would have jumped at the chance to snag Varcoe. Outside running types who can kick goals are always handy. We could have used that pick to draft in a young key forward and began the development phase.

It was risky, in that it could go either way. By your own admission, 50% of the GFC supporters thought it worth the risk.

Hindsight proved it to be a bad call. But if things had've gone right we would've had a worthy player and the club would've been applauded for its call.

Clark is the same kind of call. Yes, he has issues, but if he rises above them, and early 2016 reports are good, then we'll have a decent player.

Drafting and player selection is a numbers game. You play safe on some calls, you take risks on others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back