Why Geelong will overtake Hawthorn and become the on field AFL powerhouse

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
it's not about that. We are talking about the player Jordan Murdoch. He's everything that is wrong with Geelong today. A soft uncontested sea gull and it is because of players like this that other teams now match us in many areas during a game.
Until Murdoch changes his ways and can use that explosive speed of his to hit in hard and win the footy, we have much better options available. At least gift games to a young bloke who enjoys winning contested footy for starters. Look at Gregson, 3ft'2 and took on Aaron Sandilands without thinking twice! This is the type of footballer that will take Geelong places.
We have had a few of late that play that wide they would benefit from having lolly pop ladies to get them across the road in Latrobe tce,I didn't have Murdoch among them. I will watch him closer next season.

Just thought I'd drop in and share a little fact with you guys. Before the Grand Final in '07, you guys were on 6 flags and we were on 9. Three flags ahead (despite affording you an almost 3 decade head start, and being the laughing stock of the VFL for 30 years). 8 years later, you guys have had the greatest period of success in your club's entire century-plus history, and yet we have still extended our lead over you. 13-9. Maybe it's just me, but I would find that rather daunting if the situation was reversed. Especially since you have delusions of grandeur regarding 'overtaking' us...

Hawthorn are a well run club ,so are Sydney but when you factor in that Sydney have COLA and Hawthorn had so many early draft picks , the chocolates go to Geelong .

Hawthorn have already lost their appeal to attract mature age players from other clubs ,why Geelong because of Geographical location will always be a club that players want to come too.

Clearly Melbourne have not been a well run club .

The best 3 clubs on the field are Geelong,Hawthorn and Sydney . Only hawthorn had draft picks below 7.

Imagine if Geelong or Syndey had picks 1,2,3,5 and 6 ?

In reality every draft pick has its gamble. Just because your a well run club doesn't mean your picks will become good. Geelong and the Swans could have liked other players and botched the draft. If is a big If and will never happen.

2001 geelong had pick 8 and got bartel. 2002 geelong had pick 7 took mackie. 2006 geelong pick 7 took selwood 2014 geelong had pick 10 and took cockatoo. so geelong has had early picks not as many but still had early picks. this isn't included the mid to late first rounders.

Also half of those picks never made an afl career or helped get players over for the hawks

Hawthorn are a well run club ,so are Sydney but when you factor in that Sydney have COLA and Hawthorn had so many early draft picks , the chocolates go to Geelong .

Hawthorn have already lost their appeal to attract mature age players from other clubs ,why Geelong because of Geographical location will always be a club that players want to come too.

How have the hawks lost the appeal to attract players? One year we don't get a f/a and all of a sudden no one wants to come? I don't think you realise many players choose either the 'home factor', which state they want to playing in or facilities of the club. The hawks you could say tick all these if the dingley facility goes ahead (which i personally think could challenge the pies).

Also Geelong will not always have players wanting to come to their club. Because of its location is surely a joke........

The sooner the OP follows Hawthorn's strategy of opening a new book every new season, and doesn't let past glories, (Premierships) distract the player's focus (to make the top 4) the sooner he/she will open their eyes and see both are great clubs, but at this stage Hawthorn are in front.

Also Geelong will not always have players wanting to come to their club. Because of its location is surely a joke........

your thinking where the ground (Kardinia Park) is situated. No offense to anyone that lives near the ground but it's a concrete dump.
The players buy homes around Corio, Newtown, Grovedale etc.

How have the hawks lost the appeal to attract players? One year we don't get a f/a and all of a sudden no one wants to come? I don't think you realise many players choose either the 'home factor', which state they want to playing in or facilities of the club. The hawks you could say tick all these if the dingley facility goes ahead (which i personally think could challenge the pies).

The AFL moves at a very fast pace and the focus is always on the present not the past . Hawthorn premierships will always be special to Hawthorn supporters but they will soon be irrelevant to supporters of other clubs ,Geelong premierships are no different. In other words once your slide down the ladder you will lose your appeal to attract players from other clubs , your recent premierships will have no pull at all.

Clubs will always be upgrading their training facilities and Hawthorns not the only club that can move to an area were land is cheap to build a large facility , in fact its just about at a point were all clubs have facilities that are good enough facilities for it to be of little relevance.

Bottom line is that there are 9 clubs located in Melbourne , If a player wants to live in Victoria and live a regional lifestyle which in todays high pressure and highly scrutinised game appeals to many , than Geelong is the only choice.

I would also add that Currently Hawthorn are the second richest club in the AFL , this is certain to change Essendon will recover ,Carlton will recover and both will overtake Hawthorn at some point in the future .

The sooner the OP follows Hawthorn's strategy of opening a new book every new season, and doesn't let past glories, (Premierships) distract the player's focus (to make the top 4) the sooner he/she will open their eyes and see both are great clubs, but at this stage Hawthorn are in front.

I said earlier Hawthorn have won 4 , Geelong have won 3.

But when making a predictions about who is going to be on the on field powerhouse for the next 20+ years Geelong are logical favourites for the fact that we won our premierships with no picks below 7 ,while Hawthorn had picks 1,2,3,5 and 6.

Question guys who was the last club to receive back to back Concession draft picks ? yeahp Hawthorn

I said earlier Hawthorn have won 4 , Geelong have won 3.

But when making a predictions about who is going to be on the on field powerhouse for the next 20+ years Geelong are logical favourites for the fact that we won our premierships with no picks below 7 ,while Hawthorn had picks 1,2,3,5 and 6.

Question guys who was the last club to receive back to back Concession draft picks ? yeahp Hawthorn

Hawthorn would be logical favourites, I would think. Since the 1960s, they've won at least one flag in every decade, and in 3 of those decades, they've won multiple flags. In comparison, Geelong went through a long drought of 44 years before having a burst of success that saw them win three flags. Modern history would suggest that success for Geelong is more of an abnormality than the norm and that the club isn't inherently well-run. During the mid-00s, we happened upon a set of very good administrative and coaching staff and an excellent playing group. The club may be able to replicate it, but history doesn't suggest Geelong has a habit of doing so. History does, however, suggest that the Hawks will continue to be well-run and make the right choices in regards to staffing and the like. Already, four years after the last flag, the GFC is making some dubious decisions, both off-field and on-field. Slipping out of the finals and hemorrhaging millions of dollars seems more like evidence of the club losing ground than gaining it.

We have no greater reason to stake a claim to being a future powerhouse than any other club in the competition that's chasing Hawthorn's tail.

Hawthorn would be logical favourites, I would think. Since the 1960s, they've won at least won flag in every decade, and in 3 of those decades, they've won multiple flags. In comparison, Geelong went through a long drought of 44 years before having a burst of success that saw them win three flags. Modern history would suggest that success for Geelong is more of an abnormality than the norm and that the club isn't inherently well-run. During the mid-00s, we happened upon a set of very good administrative and coaching staff and an excellent playing group. The club may be able to replicate it, but history doesn't suggest Geelong has a habit of doing so. History does, however, suggest that the Hawks will continue to be well-run and make the right choices in regards to staffing and the like. Already, four years after the last flag, the GFC is making some dubious decisions, both off-field and on-field. Slipping out of the finals and hemorrhaging millions of dollars seems more like evidence of the club losing ground than gaining it.

We have no greater reason to stake a claim to being a future powerhouse than any other club in the competition that's chasing Hawthorn's tail.

I know you have mentioned what history has shown us but what does your instinct tell you about our future Biggy? Do you believe we are going to see some more success any time soon?

(terrific post by the way)

I don't really care whether we're THE powerhouse, but I enjoy the fact that Geelong IS now a powerhouse after lagging behind others for so many years.

Like everyone, I want the club to be dominant, but I also understand that it represents a collection of human endeavour, which is never perfect. There'll be highs, and there'll be lows. But you know what, that makes the highs sweeter, and strengthens my admiration of the club as I observe its battles with the lows.

And I couldn't care less about Hawthorn. We're making our own history, and our legacy as a founding member of the VFL / AFL, and the achievements against greater odds, make me far prouder than what they've done.
Absolutely.

Hawthorn would be logical favourites, I would think. Since the 1960s, they've won at least one flag in every decade, and in 3 of those decades, they've won multiple flags. In comparison, Geelong went through a long drought of 44 years before having a burst of success that saw them win three flags. Modern history would suggest that success for Geelong is more of an abnormality than the norm and that the club isn't inherently well-run. During the mid-00s, we happened upon a set of very good administrative and coaching staff and an excellent playing group. The club may be able to replicate it, but history doesn't suggest Geelong has a habit of doing so. History does, however, suggest that the Hawks will continue to be well-run and make the right choices in regards to staffing and the like. Already, four years after the last flag, the GFC is making some dubious decisions, both off-field and on-field. Slipping out of the finals and hemorrhaging millions of dollars seems more like evidence of the club losing ground than gaining it.

Hawthorns success in the 70's and 80's has no connection with their recent success at all .They had a very lean 17 years in between .Their success in the 70's and 80's was due to the zone they were given , once the zone was removed they struggled until they received so many early draft picks .

The only place that the Geelong is making dubious decisions is in the heads of a few posters on bigfooty ,who lets be honest get a high out of sticking the boots into the club.

I wouldn't worry too much about the loss this year , its largely due to skilled stadium redevelopments which in the long run will benefit the club. Short term pain for long term gain.

Since its inception, the GFC has won 16 premierships.

Since its inception, Hawthorn has won 13.

And it doesn't matter what the competition was. You can't win premierships in the AFL when only the VFA exists. We should all be proud of the club's history.

Yes, we went through a 44 year drought. So what? The Hawks went 35 years before they won their first. And how many times have they 'won' the wooden spoon? How convenient is it that they 'forget' the advantage they received through zoning?

Anyhow, as I said before, I don't give a flying seagull about what the Hawks have / haven't achieved, and care even less for their smug arrogance and their thuggish behaviour on-field.

I'm proud that the GFC was a founding member of the the now AFL and has fought it's way through all sorts of difficulties to become a powerhouse in the AFL and even challenge the supposedly 'untouchable' Hawks.

I couldn't care less what Hawk supporters think, but I'm disappointed and ashamed that some GFC 'supporters' delight in denigrating our club, its efforts and achievements. I'm all for constructive criticism, but seeing derogatory comments that are simply made to allow one to gloat about the 'superiority' of their opinion like kids in a school yard is just embarrassing, and far more disappointing than anything a Hawks supporter could post.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

can really only go by the following years result. The very fact they beat us in our prime in the 08 grand final, and we battled out a thriller a few months earlier when we were obliterating sides (Cats by 11 points), throw in the loss the year beforehand, Hawthorn simply had our measure.

You have had achange of heart Bobby

Hawthorn wernt allways well run mate - administratively and financially

They had a president - or someone high up on the committee - they did all these building upgrades ( i think it was in the vicinity of a million dollars - when that was a hell of alot of money) at Glenferrie oval - some would say later say totally unneccessary upgrades . The Hawthorn official who "won " the tender had his own building company - it was a clear conflict of interest - it nearly sent them to the wall

The AFL moves at a very fast pace and the focus is always on the present not the past . Hawthorn premierships will always be special to Hawthorn supporters but they will soon be irrelevant to supporters of other clubs ,Geelong premierships are no different. In other words once your slide down the ladder you will lose your appeal to attract players from other clubs , your recent premierships will have no pull at all.

Clubs will always be upgrading their training facilities and Hawthorns not the only club that can move to an area were land is cheap to build a large facility , in fact its just about at a point were all clubs have facilities that are good enough facilities for it to be of little relevance.

Bottom line is that there are 9 clubs located in Melbourne , If a player wants to live in Victoria and live a regional lifestyle which in todays high pressure and highly scrutinised game appeals to many , than Geelong is the only choice.

I would also add that Currently Hawthorn are the second richest club in the AFL , this is certain to change Essendon will recover ,Carlton will recover and both will overtake Hawthorn at some point in the future .

Well facilities have more than little relevance. I would say facilities has a pretty big part of a player choosing a club. Look at Collingwood average team, But heaps of great young players and they also have great facilities and this gets the players in and also being able to play in-front of big crowds is also a factor for players.

I just don't understand why you think Geelong will be the powerhouse team under the point that you didn't have a top 7 pick.......thats irrelevant. it doesn't matter how your team comes together whether it be f/a, trade or draft. I see geelong coming up against teams who have heaps of talent who are chasing the hawks. Teams like GWS when healthy last season looked great, Bulldogs play an exciting brand of footy, Port will be back up there again, Collingwood are building a team of young guns and even when the hawks have retirements we still have a good bunch of vfl players to come in which hopefully keeps us top 8 and still a destination club.

your thinking where the ground (Kardinia Park) is situated. No offense to anyone that lives near the ground but it's a concrete dump.
The players buy homes around Corio, Newtown, Grovedale etc.

I think that it is doubtful that any players would buy a home near Corio.
It seems to me that they tend to live close to the city i.e Newtown, West, Highton or down near the coast at Torquay.
Why any footballer would choose to live in Corio, with the money that they earn, is beyond my comprehension. Unless you live in the part of Corio that Corioites refer to as "Lower Lovely Banks".But Norlane/Corio is a shit hole, even if some really good people, including some of my mates, live in that shit hole.

Well facilities have more than little relevance. I would say facilities has a pretty big part of a player choosing a club. Look at Collingwood average team, But heaps of great young players and they also have great facilities and this gets the players in and also being able to play in-front of big crowds is also a factor for players.

I just don't understand why you think Geelong will be the powerhouse team under the point that you didn't have a top 7 pick.......thats irrelevant. it doesn't matter how your team comes together whether it be f/a, trade or draft. I see geelong coming up against teams who have heaps of talent who are chasing the hawks. Teams like GWS when healthy last season looked great, Bulldogs play an exciting brand of footy, Port will be back up there again, Collingwood are building a team of young guns and even when the hawks have retirements we still have a good bunch of vfl players to come in which hopefully keeps us top 8 and still a destination club.

Good points, we have our work cut out just like every other club......including yours.

Things are rosy for you guys right now, but have no doubt, your battle to stay on top will be just as taxing as that of every other club trying to reach the summit. Even moreso.

Just as people couldn't foresee the demise of Brisbane, and even that of ours just a short few years ago, it seems everyone is predicting the HFC will rule the roost for the forseeable future. But there's nothing surer than the fact that the AFL's equalisation strategy WILL pull the HFC back to the pack, just like its done with every other team.

I look forward to the on-going RESPECTFUL rivalry between our clubs, and the continuing see-saw in our respective fortunes. I like to think we're on the upswing while you guys are on the slide - no doubt you'll differ.

Therein is the rivalry. Long may it live.

I don't pay much attention to who supposedly has a really good young list because we have seen so many teams over the past 15 years who have supposedly had great young lists and gone on to do nothing .

Clearly the best 3 run clubs on the field are Geelong,Hawthorn and Sydney .

Both Hawthorn and Sydney received massive assistance from the AFL , while Geelong did not .

Hawthorn required a stack of early draft picks ,which they will not get again.
Sydney required COLA which is gone.
Geelong was just brilliant management and a great culture .

Facilities were once relevant when some clubs had awesome facilities and others had terrible facilities .Today every club has good facilities , players wouldn't walk into any club and say I cant train here .

If you want to live in Melbourne you have 9 clubs to choose from , If you want to live regional lifestyle your only choice is Geelong.

Something that will no doubt hurt Hawthorn down the track is the inevitable recovery of Essendon and Carlton.They will take money and players away from Hawthorn .

Really? Would you call recruiting Hamish McIntosh a dubious decision? Because that didn't occur in anyone's head.

I'd call it a risky decision that didn't pay off.

He clearly had the ability, and if they could've kept him on the park, as they believed, it might've been an inspired selection.

Alas, they couldn't, and it wasn't.

Win some, lose some. Worth the shot, though hindsight says we should've kept our powder dry.

Really? Would you call recruiting Hamish McIntosh a dubious decision? Because that didn't occur in anyone's head.

When you put it into its proper context , no it was made on sound reason and logic .

Had Geelong had a fit Hawkins and good ruckman in 2013 we would of gone extremely close to winning the premiership which we did not have on our list .The only ruckman available was Mcintosh , so the club gave away a 2nd round pick for him and took a risk .

The club took a risk by giving away a 2nd round draft pick for a player who could win us a premiership.Would do it again for sure.

I don't pay much attention to who supposedly has a really good young list because we have seen so many teams over the past 15 years who have supposedly had great young lists and gone on to do nothing .

Clearly the best 3 run clubs on the field are Geelong,Hawthorn and Sydney .

Both Hawthorn and Sydney received massive assistance from the AFL , while Geelong did not .

Hawthorn required a stack of early draft picks ,which they will not get again.
Sydney required COLA which is gone.
Geelong was just brilliant management and a great culture .

Facilities were once relevant when some clubs had awesome facilities and others had terrible facilities .Today every club has good facilities , players wouldn't walk into any club and say I cant train here .

If you want to live in Melbourne you have 9 clubs to choose from , If you want to live regional lifestyle your only choice is Geelong.

Something that will no doubt hurt Hawthorn down the track is the inevitable recovery of Essendon and Carlton.They will take money and players away from Hawthorn .

You keep going on with the mumbo jumbo.

Sydney needed the COLA to get players there as the life style is much more expensive, sydney just used a loop hole and the afl did a typical knee jerk reaction, which will end up hurting the swans. Sydney are now not in the top 3 best run clubs. Collingwood is easily top 3.

I don't know what your thing about hawthorn needing picks 10 years ago will affect them in the future, yes it helped us in the past or present at that time because it was meant to, know knew that one of the players would become one of the best bigman in the league, even when he wasn't meant to go that high (roughead).

Also having a 'well run' club like hawthorn will get the players in no matter what the situation of the playing group is or ladder position.......sarcasm. Every team has low points, some just in different ways

Reality is players will most likely choose success and then move if they want that lifestyle after footy especially if that team is struggling (geelong). Who says that carlton and essendon will get back up? They have a young list of talent, thought you didn't pay much attention young talented teams because is usually doesn't work out.....

Also if Geelong is such a good club with finance and stuff why all the pay outs from the government?

You keep going on with the mumbo jumbo.

Sydney needed the COLA to get players there as the life style is much more expensive, sydney just used a loop hole and the afl did a typical knee jerk reaction, which will end up hurting the swans. Sydney are now not in the top 3 best run clubs. Collingwood is easily top 3.

I don't know what your thing about hawthorn needing picks 10 years ago will affect them in the future, yes it helped us in the past or present at that time because it was meant to, know knew that one of the players would become one of the best bigman in the league, even when he wasn't meant to go that high (roughead).

Also having a 'well run' club like hawthorn will get the players in no matter what the situation of the playing group is or ladder position.......sarcasm. Every team has low points, some just in different ways

Reality is players will most likely choose success and then move if they want that lifestyle after footy especially if that team is struggling (geelong). Who says that carlton and essendon will get back up? They have a young list of talent, thought you didn't pay much attention young talented teams because is usually doesn't work out.....

Also if Geelong is such a good club with finance and stuff why all the pay outs from the government?

I wouldn't say Geelong is 'struggling'.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back