Why Geelong will overtake Hawthorn and become the on field AFL powerhouse

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey I love the Cats but what a delusional thread. Hawthorn has far greater membership numbers and capital flow than we will ever have or could ever hope to have and on top of that they've already had more success in the last 7 years than we'll ever achieve.

You say you love the club but then infer that the GFC has been, and will continue to be, a massive disappointment to you?

Not sure how and why you love the club.......

infer that the GFC has been, and will continue to be, a massive disappointment to you?
How or when have I inferred the Cats have been a massive disappointment to me? I thought we were great in our 3 flags in 5 years period but the simple fact is Hawthorn have been better. I'm not disappointed in seeing those three flags at all, I'm just disappointed Hawthorn has done so much better than us since.

How or when have I inferred the Cats have been a massive disappointment to me? I thought we were great in our 3 flags in 5 years period but the simple fact is Hawthorn have been better. I'm not disappointed in seeing those three flags at all, I'm just disappointed Hawthorn has done so much better than us since.

I get that, but why care?

Take pride in our club's history, its standing as a founding member, the history of VFA / VFL / AFL premierships, and its survival on and off field sometimes against the odds.

Hawthorn took 35 years to win a premiership, and have received far more wooden spoons than us. Yep, take a snap shot of their recent history and it looks spectacular, but then stand back and look at their history overall.

Better still, why bother worrying about what they have done? You're a Cats supporter.

And who's to say that the next 30 years doesn't see a period of sustained success for the GFC whilst the HFC languish? Maybe in time the argument will be reversed.

Here's hoping!

and on top of that they've already had more success in the last 7 years than we'll ever achieve.

If we want to pick and choose periods of time we could have said exactly the same thing about us at the end of 2011, four Grand Finals and Three flags, exactly the same as the Hawks in the last seven years.

Do agree the thread is a tad delusional though.

Take pride in our club's history, its standing as a founding member, the history of VFA / VFL / AFL premierships, and its survival on and off field sometimes against the odds.
Why care? Precisely because I love the Cats and want them to do well and be the best team in the league, I am proud of our long history as a foundation club and our past achievements. You might be happy watching Hawthorn stroll around winning three in a row but I'm proud to say I bloody hate it! I want that success for Geelong, and it's faux supporters like you with your weak expectations and impotent critical thought when it comes to the GFC that have in the past and will continue in the future to hold the club back.

How were we the best side in 91 when we finished equal second with Hawthorn and three games behind West Coast?

OK, I stand corrected. But While West Coast was the best team, my point stands, as the Hawks beat Geelong in the semi final and then went on to win the premiership by defeating WCE..

If we want to pick and choose periods of time we could have said exactly the same thing about us at the end of 2011, four Grand Finals and Three flags, exactly the same as the Hawks in the last seven years.

2008 was 7 years ago. They've won 4 flags in the last 7 years.

Hawthorn took 35 years to win a premiership, and have received far more wooden spoons than us. Yep, take a snap shot of their recent history and it looks spectacular, but then stand back and look at their history overall.

Better still, why bother worrying about what they have done? You're a Cats supporter.

Excellent post, can't understand all the whining about what Hawthorn have done, as if it somehow detracts from our achievements between 2007/2011.

And who's to say that the next 30 years doesn't see a period of sustained success for the GFC whilst the HFC languish? Maybe in time the argument will be reversed.

Here's hoping!

Was just five years after the most sustained period of success in their history that they came within a whisker of folding, so things can turn pretty quickly.

OK, I stand corrected. But While West Coast was the best team, my point stands, as the Hawks beat Geelong in the semi final and then went on to win the premiership by defeating WCE..
I agree '91' was one that got away, had we had a fit Brownless, Stoneham, and had Ablett not been suspended in the finals I think we would've given it a hell of a shake.

How very convenient.
Of course since the Hawks premiership win over us in 2008 their record is 4 premierships in 8 years.
It is almost like they win the premiership every second year.

Just a tad.

I agree '91' was one that got away, had we had a fit Brownless, Stoneham, and had Ablett not been suspended in the finals I think we would've given it a hell of a shake.

Yep, I forgot about that. Did he miss the prelim final that we narrowly lost?

Why care? Precisely because I love the Cats and want them to do well and be the best team in the league, I am proud of our long history as a foundation club and our past achievements. You might be happy watching Hawthorn stroll around winning three in a row but I'm proud to say I bloody hate it! I want that success for Geelong, and it's faux supporters like you with your weak expectations and impotent critical thought when it comes to the GFC that have in the past and will continue in the future to hold the club back.

Don't dare cast aspersions on my support of the club, or the strength of that support. I resent your assumption of superiority in that aspect.

I love the club every bit as much as fiercely as anyone here. Yes, I hate Hawthorn and its recent success, but I choose to dwell on how and what the GFC is doing to improve itself, rather than be preoccupied with the opposition.

Provide constructive criticism where and when required by all means, but how about also contributing some positive recognition, where and when warranted, of what the club is doing occasionally? A few here would like that I reckon.

Oh, and play the ball, not the man ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

can't understand all the whining about what Hawthorn have done
When you have a thread title saying 'Geelong will overtake Hawthorn and become the on field AFL powerhouse,' you find it strange that posters are mentioning what Hawthorn have done? Really?!? I don't think anyone on here pointing out Hawthorns great success does think it takes anything away from our '07, 09, 11' Premiership glory...

When you have a thread title saying 'Geelong will overtake Hawthorn and become the on field AFL powerhouse,' you find it strange that posters are mentioning what Hawthorn have done? Really?!? I don't think anyone on here pointing out Hawthorns great success does think it takes anything away from our '07, 09, 11' Premiership glory...

Maybe the focus of discussion could be on how the GFC could achieve that, rather than just saying 'woe is us'.....

Don't dare cast aspersions on my support of the club, or the strength of that support. I resent your assumption of superiority in that aspect.
Well then you might understand how incensed I felt when you posted this to me before
You say you love the club but then infer that the GFC has been, and will continue to be, a massive disappointment to you?
Not sure how and why you love the club.......

Cataholic = Hypocrite.

Excellent post, can't understand all the whining about what Hawthorn have done, as if it somehow detracts from our achievements between 2007/2011.

It is the deliberate downplaying of Hawthorn's achievements to make Geelong's recent history look better than Hawthorn's that annoys me.

I hate Hawthorn with a passion, but I refuse to enter into some delusional state and pretend to, or actually believe, that Geelong has achieved more than the Hawks in the recent past.

Was just five years after the most sustained period of success in their history that they came within a whisker of folding, so things can turn pretty quickly.

Our financial situation was not so flash in 1999 either. But look what happened.

"FOUR-TIME premiership coach Allan Jeans has often ventured that a club cannot win a premiership without players and money. In 1999, when what became known as Geelong's "troika" of president Frank Costa, chief executive Brian Cook and coach Mark Thompson began their journey together, the Cats had neither of those essentials.

The club had liabilities of more than $9 million, some $5.5 million of which was owed to the bank. The captain, Leigh Colbert, a young man of character in whom the club had invested so much, had walked out, believing that the selfish culture among the players would not change.
"

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/news/afl/geelongs-nineyear-journey/2007/09/26/1190486430575.html

Well then you might understand how incensed I felt when you posted this to me before

Cataholic = Hypocrite.

In that same post you more or less said that the GFC hadn't, nor could ever hope to, achieve all that the HFC had achieved. In fact, you clarified that by saying the HFC had achieved more in the last 7 years 'than we'll ever achieve'.

That sounded extremely pessimistic to me.

Again, play the ball here, not the man BC. No need to resort to insults and names to carry the conversation.

It is the deliberate downplaying of Hawthorn's achievements to make Geelong's recent history look better then Hawthorn's that annoys me.

It's exactly the opposite with me, all the bleating about Hawthorn's success as if it somehow detracts from what we achieved.

I hate Hawthorn with a passion, but I refuse to enter into some delusional state and pretend to, or actually believe, that Geelong has achieved more than the Hawks in the recent past.

Speaking for myself I'm under no delusions, we had a fantastic period of success and now they're having theirs, why we have to somehow compare the two bewilders me.

Yes, we know your position on the current coach.

What other areas need improvement?

What is the club getting right?
Well the coach is central to the clubs game plan, list management, and overall philosophy, so it's difficult to talk about what the club is getting right when from my perspective we have the wrong guy at the top controlling a lot of this stuff. Obviously the recruitment of Dangerfield has been great and I'm finally happy we recruited a recognised ruckman as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back