Why Geelong will overtake Hawthorn and become the on field AFL powerhouse

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So it's pessimistic to say we'll never win a threepeat when less than 5 teams in the entire history of the AFL have? It's not pessimistic it's just realistic.

'Never' is very definitive.

'Highly unlikely' is realistic.

Subtle, but a big difference. Not sure you or I will live long enough to see the GFC achieve it, but to say never?

I hope you're wrong one day :)

Well the coach is central to the clubs game plan, list management, and overall philosophy, so it's difficult to talk about what the club is getting right when from my perspective we have the wrong guy at the top controlling a lot of this stuff. Obviously the recruitment of Dangerfield has been great and I'm finally happy we recruited a recognised ruckman as well.

Well, that's a start.

But you believe the club can make no further useful improvement without replacing the coach? ie....all futher improvement flows from that action?

Hey I love the Cats but what a delusional thread. Hawthorn has far greater membership numbers and capital flow than we will ever have or could ever hope to have and on top of that they've already had more success in the last 7 years than we'll ever achieve.
Chortle. Hawthorn and membership numbers.

Chortle... as if they're accurate :oops:

Wrong player. Ablett was suspended after the final versus St.Kilda; Brownless was suspended after the 2nd Semi. He'd pinged his hamstring anyway, and Ablett wasn't fit.

I was at that final against St.Kilda but the memory has faded in my old age.
It almost sees to me like it was an event that happened in the previous century. Nay previous Millennium.

Excellent post, can't understand all the whining about what Hawthorn have done, as if it somehow detracts from our achievements between 2007/2011.

Was just five years after the most sustained period of success in their history that they came within a whisker of folding, so things can turn pretty quickly.
This.

But you believe the club can make no further useful improvement without replacing the coach? ie....all futher improvement flows from that action?
Yeah, hence why Port went from a laughing stock to a prelim final in one year under Hinkley, and the Bulldogs did so well this year under Beveridge, and conversely Essendon did so poorly under Hird as opposed to Bomber. The coach matters and IMO we don't have one that will bring us the success we all crave.

Well you have that part correct, but what that heck does it have to do with this statement ..................

2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, that's seven years by my calculations, and I can only see three flags there.
That's seven seasons, not seven years.

As I said in post #294. It has nothing to do with whining about what the Hawks have done but..

It is the deliberate downplaying of Hawthorn's achievements to make Geelong's recent history look better than Hawthorn's that annoys me.

Well you have that part correct, but what that heck does it have to do with this statement ..................

2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, that's seven years by my calculations, and I can only see three flags there.
You are kind of right, I should've said 7 years and 3 months.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The really interesting questions for me - Is, one, how good will the Hawks be next season - and how much we close the gap on the best team in the league ?

I think for sure we will close the gap, and probably by a reasonable margin. But not so sure we can match them - particularly early in the season.

We only play them once and that is Round 1 - so the only definitive assessment we will get will be at the wrong end of the season for us.

I still think that it might be a decent game but Geelong will need significant more games as a unit to be at our best.

Where do you gets picks 1,5 and 6 from? I'm pretty sure we traded? thats fair?

why will essendon and carlton be back. just saying without a doubt doesn't make your point a valid one. large supporter base and money doesn't mean a thing if your club is at the bottom, thats not attractive to players.

thats the benefit of not owning your own ground. haha

Nope you received picks 5 and 6 because you won less than 5 games of football .You might of traded for pick 1 but that would never be done again .

Lets keep it simple and factual

Have Geelong proved they can win a premiership without early draft picks ? the lowest pick being 7 says yes

Have Hawthorn proved they can win a premiership without early draft picks ? having picks 1,2,3,5 and 6 says no

As I said in post #294. It has nothing to do with whining about what the Hawks have done but..
Í'm not trying to downplay their success I don't care ultimately.

That doesn't mean I won't be happy to see them fail though, I'd be ecstatic :)

The really interesting questions for me - Is, one, how good will the Hawks be next season - and how much we close the gap on the best team in the league ?

I think for sure we will close the gap, and probably by a reasonable margin. But not so sure we can match them - particularly early in the season.

We only play them once and that is Round 1 - so the only definitive assessment we will get will be at the wrong end of the season for us.

I still think that it might be a decent game but Geelong will need significant more games as a unit to be at our best.
Round 1 we'll lose by 30 plus. No Selwood bros, and no team cohesion. Really we'll be doing well not to get smashed by the reigning premiers. I hope/somewhat expect things to get better from there but we're no chance in hell in round 1.

What the **** is going on in this thread. I say lock it and hope nothing similar ever eventuates.

What a sad sack of posters some of you are. I'd be mistaken for thinking we're on a 60 yr premiership drought.

Absolutely, and that's an entirely reasonable point. But some decisions I think were too far removed from reality. McIntosh was already 28 and had played 8 games in the previous 2 years. It was obvious to (almost) everyone that he was an exorbitant risk. He typifies what worries me the most about our present list management philosophies. We seem to recruit or retain way too many players with serious injuries (or issues), and somehow believe that all of them will come good. It's just not going to happen.

Again this idea about Geelong making poor list management decisions exists only in the heads of a few posters who enjoy bagging the clubs .I have never once heard anyone in the media talk about Geelong making poor list management decisions , its always the opposite .

Your argument that the club has a preference for injury prone players is just foolish .The clubs gets the best players that are available and when its a player with a history of injuries they pay unders for

With the exception of Mcintosh none of them have a cross next to their name yet , your just jumping the gun .With some good physical conditioning and medical support these players will come good.

At his best, he can definitely play. But personally I wouldn't recruit anyone who has mental health issues. It's too big a risk. He deserves the best treatment available, but it may mean some jobs simply aren't suitable.

Every year 1 in 5 Australians suffer from a mental health issue .Clark would not be the only player at Geelong with a case of depression or anxiety.

Lets wait another year before we right him off , if he comes of good than we have come out as huge winners having traded only Varcoe for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back