Why Geelong will overtake Hawthorn and become the on field AFL powerhouse

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why care? Precisely because I love the Cats and want them to do well and be the best team in the league, I am proud of our long history as a foundation club and our past achievements. You might be happy watching Hawthorn stroll around winning three in a row but I'm proud to say I bloody hate it! I want that success for Geelong, and it's faux supporters like you with your weak expectations and impotent critical thought when it comes to the GFC that have in the past and will continue in the future to hold the club back.

I don't like it either , but I know we will overtake them soon .

Bottom line is that the reason Hawthorn have won 4 premierships and we have won 3 is that they took 2008 from us .

During the great Geelong V Hawthorn rivalry Geelong always had an older list meaning our champion players were always going to retire before theirs .

Between 2010-2015 Geelong lost 9 All Australians, Hawthorn only lost 2.

It's embarrassing the lack of respect Scott gets for 2011.

He did an amazing job with that group that was aging and had just lost it's coach, it's best player and had an epic finals hiding.

Nobody and I mean nobody tipped us to finish top 4 let alone win the thing.

Ppl also don't take into account the ridiculous run of injuries we have had since 2010.
Nobody tipped us to finish top four a year after we finished second? What a dumb comment.

Jubs has post of the thread.

Firstly I'm not sold in the slightest that we will become the on field powerhouse. Making finals would be a nice start.

Secondly, didn't take long for the same Scott bashing to rear its head once more.

Hope the OP proves me wrong however and we do become the of field powerhouse once more.
If we don't think we will become an on field powerhouse with the draft picks we have given up this year and the previous two to get older players then our coaching team should be sacked today for trading away our future for no point. It's flag or bust now.

If we don't think we will become an on field powerhouse with the draft picks we have given up this year and the previous two to get older players then our coaching team should be sacked today for trading away our future for no point. It's flag or bust now.
If you say so. Not worth the argument :)

Yep, I think there's been a deliberate play for a premiership in the next couple of years, and if it doesn't eventuate, I think heads will roll.

I agree with Seeds in that I think the club has targeted, and recruited for, a premiership in the next 2-3 years, and there'll be a backlash if it doesn't eventuate.
Which is fair. Doesn't discredit my comment about being an on-field powerhouse as that takes more than just winning a flag imo.

What the **** is going on in this thread. I say lock it and hope nothing similar ever eventuates.

What a sad sack of posters some of you are. I'd be mistaken for thinking we're on a 60 yr premiership drought.

this is an issue with some of our supporters, not you in particular Nakia, but this whole ungrateful line that gets thrown around. In sports, you don't rest on your laurels. You keep on achieving the ultimate success. Just because we have witnessed three flags this decade, do we now accept it and just hope this team can make finals again or should we be ruthless like Hawthorn and accept that four premierships is great but that was yesterdays news?

Every year 1 in 5 Australians suffer from a mental health issue .Clark would not be the only player at Geelong with a case of depression or anxiety.

Lets wait another year before we right him off , if he comes of good than we have come out as huge winners having traded only Varcoe for him.

Very offensive to me GC 26!
You know how long it's taken me to remove his awesome avatar?!
On a slightly serious side, the timing of some of our departees has me bemused .
Hamling/Jansen- no games at all.
THunt/ TVarcoe/MBrown- all completely over their injuries, finally.
Chappy/SJ-another year or 2 at the Cattery?- these two I def agreed with, could see the signs before they were gone that they "were gone", but the first 5 listed above, I could easily see a case for their retention, each one of them, specially the way we have recruited since.

Which is fair. Doesn't discredit my comment about being an on-field powerhouse as that takes more than just winning a flag imo.

Agreed.

We're respected off-field but need to earn that same respect on-field. We've earned some of it, but lost a little bit in the last year or two, so we have some work to do.

Yep, I think there's been a deliberate play for a premiership in the next couple of years, and if it doesn't eventuate, I think heads will roll.
Contract up 2017 anyway, what will it take to keep CS on, and get an extension like Brad just got?
A flag and nothing less? Harsh.

this is an issue with some of our supporters, not you in particular Nakia, but this whole ungrateful line that gets thrown around. In sports, you don't rest on your laurels. You keep on achieving the ultimate success. Just because we have witnessed three flags this decade, do we now accept it and just hope this team can make finals again or should we be ruthless like Hawthorn and accept that four premierships is great but that was yesterdays news?
I'm not particularly worried what happens from here, I'm content either way, and grateful to have seen just one.

Look at the way our arrogant, entitled comrades across the road are portraying themselves. If that's the kind of person continual success turns you into, then I'll tread wearily in hoping for more.

I agree with Seeds in that I think the club has targeted, and recruited for, a premiership in the next 2-3 years, and there'll be a backlash if it doesn't eventuate.
I think there'll be a 'backlash' if we don't make the 8 and even if we do but don't win a final in 2016. Scott and co really have impossible expectations upon them next season brought about by both Cook and Scott's own November announcements of 'top 4 next year.' Most Geelong supporters I speak to think we'll kill it next year...Poor sods.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Contract up 2017 anyway, what will it take to keep CS on, and get an extension like Brad just got?
A flag and nothing less? Harsh.

Wouldn't say a flag or nothing, but big questions will be asked if it doesn't eventuate. If there's no flag, those that matter will need evidence that the club is definitively heading in the right direction.

I think there'll be a 'backlash' if we don't make the 8 and even if we do but don't win a final in 2016. Scott and co really have impossible expectations upon them next season brought about by both Cook and Scott's own November announcements of 'top 4 next year.' Most Geelong supporters I speak to think we'll kill it next year...Poor sods.
If Geelong don't make the 8 next year, I feel for the mods.

This place will explode into a mad frenzy.

I'm not particularly worried what happens from here, I'm content either way, and grateful to have seen just one.

Look at the way our arrogant, entitled comrades across the road are portraying themselves. If that's the kind of person continual success turns you into, then I'll tread wearily in hoping for more.
I agree, I'd rather be a humble supporter of an unsuccessful club than the arrogant supporter of a continuously successful club?!? This is the kind of rubbish echoed by far too many GFC supporters for too many years now. The AFL comp is about winning flags not being nice supporters of a 'nice' little country AFL club.

I agree, I'd rather be a humble supporter of an unsuccessful club than the arrogant supporter of a continuously successful club?!? This is the kind of rubbish echoed by far too many GFC supporters for too many years now. The AFL comp is about winning flags not being nice supporters of a 'nice' little country AFL club.
What's wrong with being a humble supporter of your own team, successful or not?

You can be ambitious, aggressive, driven and successful, yet be humble and gracious.

Success doesn't have to breed arrogance and contempt.

Chappy/SJ-another year or 2 at the Cattery?- these two I def agreed with, could see the signs before they were gone that they "were gone", but the first 5 listed above, I could easily see a case for their retention, each one of them, specially the way we have recruited since.

You have better eyesight then me Dubs if you could see that they were gone.

Thought Chappy was excellent when he managed to get on the field in 2013, and I would gladly have taken his average of twenty disposals and twenty two goals that he achieved for the Bombers in 2014.
As for SJ can only repeat what I've already said on numerous occasions already, absurd decision to let him go given his performances this year.

You can be ambitious, aggressive, driven and successful, yet be humble and gracious.

You need to separate supporters from teams here.

You're right but if I had the choice of one or the other I know which I'd choose. Nakia's post was saying he's just happy with the flags we've won and that our supporters aren't arrogant like the Hawks because that's what constant success breeds, well frankly I'd prefer the constant success of my footy team to being content with past glories.

You have better eyesight then me Dubs if you could see that they were gone.

Thought Chappy was excellent when he managed to get on the field in 2013, and I would gladly have taken his average of twenty disposals and twenty two goals that he achieved for the Bombers in 2014.
As for SJ can only repeat what I've already said on numerous occasions already, absurd decision to let him go given his performances this year.
Chappy was gone the moment he was suspended. Last straw. We needed him on the ground, and he'd already missed a lot of the season, not his own fault. He knew it, and was not happy with a conditional one year offer. I love him, but too proud and arrogant.

SJ- recurrent indiscretions, and getting caught lairising, gone, and he knew it.

Last edited:
If Geelong don't make the 8 next year, I feel for the mods.

This place will explode into a mad frenzy.
I'll be putting a few on ignore if that happens. You know to make it more tolerable and all that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back