Society/Culture Why I blame Islam for the fact it's raining today.... part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Reminder: This isn't the Israel/Hamas thread. Go to the Israel/Hamas thread if you want to talk about that. Thanks.

Last edited:
All of those things are part of Australia culture… the burqa isn’t and should never be
Interesting................

What about Pizza or Pasta?, part of Australian culture.

What about late night kebab stands in St Kilda (or anywhere)? part of Aussie culture.

What about fireworks? part of every culture in western society.

What about cricket, the english game? Def part of aussie culture.

All of these things never used to be strayan culture, now they are, can't wait for you to melt when the burqa becomes strayan accepted head gear.

Your fear of the burqa and ME culture in general is amusing.

I don't know any atheists that push state atheism either. They all push secularism.

I think we do need to get past the idea that religious beliefs deserve respect, and that they're all equal. We can see across the globe that Islam is not benign.
Any religion has the potential to cause violently unstable idiots to become extremist, but the abrahmaic faiths are particularly bad because they all have an exceptionalism narrative that breeds an unearned entitlement mindset.

Thinking your superior because of your faith is just ****ing pathetic, anyone arguing against that is an absolute idiot...period.

What about late night kebab stands in St Kilda (or anywhere)? part of Aussie culture.

All of these things never used to be strayan culture, now they are, can't wait for you to melt when the burqa becomes strayan accepted head gear.

So if we accept some parts of other cultures we have to accept all?

Should we bring in honour killings then?

So if we accept some parts of other cultures we have to accept all?

Should we bring in honour killings then?
Not what I said, the point is our strayan cultures evolves over time, perpetually.

So the burqa may become part of it over time.

Like all those other things have become, even though at their inception to Australia would have seemed completely alien.

Oh and the burqa doesn't represent honour killings.

But sleep under your bed in fear if it makes feel Better.

Not what I said, the point is our strayan cultures evolves over time, perpetually.

Like all those other things have become, even though at their inception to Australia would have seemed completely alien.

Keeps the flys and mozzies off ya face when ya up the bush mate.
Those dangling corks weren't really up to it.

We have freedom of religion in our constitution don't we?
I completely respect the right of people to believe in any religion they desire.

I do not respect the actual religions though. The Abrahamic religions are unscientific, have bad morals, and are dangerous when people believe them to be the literal word of god.

It's socially unacceptable to criticise religion in the vein that conspiracy theories are criticised and mocked, yet both are just as crazy to me. Religion is more dangerous since it's found a home in politics.

They improve the culture of australia. A burqa doesn’t and just separates the 2 groups even further.

The burqa halts any chance off assimilation into Australian culture and life.

It’s completely misogynistic and shouldn’t be supported.

Most parts of Middle Eastern culture are fine. Burqas are a tool of oppression that have been adopted by parts of a patriarchal religion.

It's not quite the same as pizza or cricket.

They improve the culture of australia. A burqa doesn’t and just separates the 2 groups even further.

I don't know for sure if burqas make it impossible for people to assimilate, they do make it harder though.

I've served a woman in burqa when I worked at a higher end shop in Chadstone but haven't talked to anyone wearing one before or since.

It's not healthy for anyone to enter a new country and be completely shut off from the culture and people. Banning burqas could make it harder for some Muslims to assimilate - the women who routinely wear them could be further shut off from the rest of us.

Attending a "congregation" of atheists would be a riveting affair.

"Hello, everyone. What are we discussing?"

"About the non-existence of gods."

"Fantastic, how is it going?”

"Well, we all agree we don’t believe in gods…"

[Awkward silence…]

"That's great. See you at the next meeting."

So, atheists wouldn't congregate but if they did, they would talk about gods?

Interesting.

Every congregation of people I attend is a congregation of people who do not collect stamps.

We don't talk about not collecting stamps.

* There might be one or two philatelists sneak in, but they never talk about collecting stamps.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't know for sure if burqas make it impossible for people to assimilate, they do make it harder though.

I've served a woman in burqa when I worked at a higher end shop in Chadstone but haven't talked to anyone wearing one before or since.

It's not healthy for anyone to enter a new country and be completely shut off from the culture and people. Banning burqas could make it harder for some Muslims to assimilate - the women who routinely wear them could be further shut off from the rest of us.

A guy who was ethnically a Sikh Indian was telling me about his early experiences when his family moved to England. In the tradition of the Sikh, his hair would have been something like below.
When his father found out the hard time the other kids were giving him at School , dad promptly sat him down and cut it all off.
The guy is still a Sikh ( he was telling me about a hard time he had taking a ceremonial knife on a plane ), but he had a hell of a lot of respect, and was grateful to his father being able to get his priorities right.

hqdefault.jpg

Has it ever occurred to you that everybody has an opinion?
Look at the spread of primary votes from the last federal election and tell me whether you think the SRP is representative of Australian voters.

I'm aware that my opposition to organised religion is an outlier that will not be adopted into policy by any major political party - that includes the Greens.

You're safe from us evil atheists for now!

Last edited:
Every congregation of people I attend is a congregation of people who do not collect stamps.

We don't talk about not collecting stamps.

* There might be one or two philatelists sneak in, but they never talk about collecting stamps.
Imagine how popular a bigfooty forum for people who don't support Collingwood would be. We could all discuss how and why we don't support Collingwood.

I think we do need to get past the idea that religious beliefs deserve respect, and that they're all equal.
I'd say that we should take each practice on its own merits.

"Hello, everyone. What are we discussing?"

"About the non-existence of gods."

"Fantastic, how is it going?”

"Well, we all agree we don’t believe in gods…"

[Awkward silence…]

"That's great. See you at the next meeting."
I reckon after agreeing that there's no gods there would be the satisfying sounds of pressurised air escaping from bottles and cans instead of an awkward silence. Any old excuse for a piss-up after all.

450x450.jpg

Cheers!!

That's like saying any past introduced abnorm, that is now the australian culture, halts any chance of assimilation. Or in your words 'improve' our culture.

So do tell, what is our 'culture'? And how does the burqa threaten whatever you think our culture is?

Most parts of Middle Eastern culture are fine. Burqas are a tool of oppression that have been adopted by parts of a patriarchal religion.

It's not quite the same as pizza or cricket.
I really detest the misuse of the word 'patriarchy' as a pejorative, it's the same as saying 'woke' is irrational lefty.

1723713689586.png

They aren't the same, 'hierarchy', patriarchy is a subset of that, being a 'father' is not designed as a tool of oppression. All of which is besides the point and is a topic for another thread.

Aholes are a tool of oppression, not patriarchs, whose role is to protect, guide and love their immediate s.

Yes we all know that burqas are a symbol of oppression, that doesn't equate to every Australian muslim woman being oppressed because they wear a burqa though.

If we wanna go down the oppression of females route, we could pick apart the many 'symbols of oppression' of our own strayan culture.

That's like saying any past introduced abnorm, that is now the australian culture, halts any chance of assimilation. Or in your words 'improve' our culture.

So do tell, what is our 'culture'? And how does the burqa threaten whatever you think our culture is?
We can clearly make sensible decisions about what cultural things can be allowed in our country. Claiming “Chinese food” is similar to people wearing a Burqa is laughable

So, atheists wouldn't congregate but if they did, they would talk about gods?

Interesting.
I guess it would come up in passing. A group of non-believers talking about gods would be like members of a book club talking about the contents of fiction books. Both figments of the imagination. Interesting, perhaps but not taken as actual truth.

We can clearly make sensible decisions about what cultural things can be allowed in our country. Claiming “Chinese food” is similar to people wearing a Burqa is laughable
Maybe we need morality police to go around checking people for culturally acceptable attire?

Sunnies and thongs from a servo? Approved!

Havaianas and linen sun shirt? Out!

I really detest the misuse of the word 'patriarchy' as a pejorative, it's the same as saying 'woke' is irrational lefty.

View attachment 2080207

They aren't the same, 'hierarchy', patriarchy is a subset of that, being a 'father' is not designed as a tool of oppression. All of which is besides the point and is a topic for another thread.
You're using a very narrow definition of patriarchy - look at the second and third definitions below.

The entire works of the main Abrahamic books, including the Qur'an, were written by men in the 7th century or earlier. There is no input by women in the Qur'an.

Definition of patriarchy:
1. A social system in which the father is the head of the family.
2. A family, community, or society based on this system or governed by men.
3. Dominance of a society by men, or the values that uphold such dominance.
The American Heritage® Dictionary
Aholes are a tool of oppression, not patriarchs, whose role is to protect, guide and love their immediate s.

Yes we all know that burqas are a symbol of oppression, that doesn't equate to every Australian muslim woman being oppressed because they wear a burqa though.
I would say they are oppressed by patriarchal society, whether they know it or not. Is any non-Muslim choosing to wear a burqa?

The Taliban imposed clothing, work, and educational limitations on women, including the burqa.

To say the burqa is merely cultural clothing is similar to saying that limiting education for girls is a cultural rule. I'm surprised you'd equate the burqa to pizza or cricket; it's just not cricket!
If we wanna go down the oppression of females route, we could pick apart the many 'symbols of oppression' of our own strayan culture.
With due respect, we're discussing Islam in this thread.

Last edited:
I guess it would come up in passing. A group of non-believers talking about gods would be like members of a book club talking about the contents of fiction books. Both figments of the imagination. Interesting, perhaps but not taken as actual truth.
I'm more interested in the actions of people who believe in fictional characters than the fictional characters themselves. That's discussion worthy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Society/Culture Why I blame Islam for the fact it's raining today.... part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back