Why is Haw v Carl not played more? (this is the 9th year in a row they’ve met once and the 7th match in a row played during the day)

Remove this Banner Ad

Dan26

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 23, 2000
Werribee
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
These two clubs are historical rivals. There were few bigger matches played during the 80’s. Big rivals from the 70’s through to the early 90’s. Both big prominent clubs.

Yet there seems to be a reluctance to give this fixture any prominence. They’ve played only once a year for nearly a decade now, and hardly ever play at night. Their match-up in a couple of weeks will be their 7th meeting in a row played during the daytime. It’s one of the more weirdly fixtured games every year.

These two clubs are historical rivals. There were few bigger matches played during the 80’s. Big rivals from the 70’s through to the early 90’s. Both big prominent clubs.

Yet there seems to be a reluctance to give this fixture any prominence. They’ve played only once a year for nearly a decade now, and hardly ever play at night. Their match-up in a couple of weeks will be their 7th meeting in a row played during the daytime. It’s one of the more weirdly fixtured games every year.
100%. But to be fair, at least it’s now at the MCG and not Marvel in winter. So we’ll take the small wins :)

I'm sure every club would love to play the #1 attendance team in the business twice.

Unfortunately for Hawthorn the small clubs don't get the marquee fixtures.

If they wanted to be relevant they should have supported the merger with Melbourne in 1996.

Bed made, now go down to Launceston and sleep in it.

We get our big crowd in finals. We dont celebrate H & A attendances as things which matter.

There are fixture quirks everywhere, Melbourne and Essendon haven't played each other twice since 2005.

There are fixture quirks everywhere, Melbourne and Essendon haven't played each other twice since 2005.
The 'fixture' is not a 'quirk', far from it because quirk implies that the schedule is random which most definitely isn't. These are deliberate decisions by the AFL administration to appease the network right holders along with some other reasons. Financial reasons primarily but could be the biases of the clubs these individuals support seeping in when they come up with the schedule every year. For example for the life of me I don't know why Richmond has been scheduled to play Geelong at Kardinia every few years or so while Collingwood (similar supporter base numbers wise to Richmond) hasn't for decades.

Because you only play 5 teams twice (Six now with Gather Round)
2-3 of those have to be against interstate teams.
AFL prioritise Carlton vs Collingwood/Essendon/Richmond & Hawthorn vs Geelong/Essendon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would say both teams would be looking forward to that game if we get to that match winning the next 2 and so does Carlton. 80 thousand plus will pack the G. Id argue we are the one team The Blues are not sure about how they measure up against right now seeing it will be the 1st meeting for the year.

Not trying to sound like a w***er but genuinely couldn't give 2 shites about the Hawks. Enjoy watching them play, don't have any sort of animosity towards them since they got rid of Clarkson and J.Lewis and really don't look to check when we're playing them when the fixtures released each year, they just aren't a club that takes up much thought.

As a 90s baby I wouldn't even know we had a rivalry back in the day if I didn't hear about it from the older generation.

Not trying to sound like a w***er but genuinely couldn't give 2 shites about the Hawks. Enjoy watching them play, don't have any sort of animosity towards them since they got rid of Clarkson and J.Lewis and really don't look to check when we're playing them when the fixtures released each year, they just aren't a club that takes up much thought.

As a 90s baby I wouldn't even know we had a rivalry back in the day if I didn't hear about it from the older generation.
Kinda happens when Carlton didn't defeat Hawthorn for almost 2 decades.

Remove this Banner Ad

Why is Haw v Carl not played more? (this is the 9th year in a row they’ve met once and the 7th match in a row played during the day)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back