Analysis Why pick 4 is the most important selection the club will have in the next decade.

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 6, 2010
Viana do Castelo (Portugal)
AFL Club
Adelaide
Top 5 picks dont come along regularly and they seldom come along with a draft of this quality. Our need is a midfield general who can lead a next generation midfield and can control a game and stand up and go clutch. This is the draft to do it. I can not over estimate the need to not screw this pick up. Our squad will naturally progress away from bottom 5 finishes probably as soon as next year. So the player we draft will be our highest selection we will get for quite a long time.

It's just on par with the McAsey, Thilthorpe and Rachele draft picks. They were equally as important.
Nah the fact that 1 was a complete bust and the other 2 are in the forward line means the pressure is on this one.

This pick needs to be our next Brownlow medallist.

Nah the fact that 1 was a complete bust and the other 2 are in the forward line means the pressure is on this one.

This pick needs to be our next Brownlow medallist.
If you keep missing every top 5 pick you have then of course the next one is more important into perpetuity. If we miss this one you will be saying the same thing in a few years time.

If you keep missing every top 5 pick you have then of course the next one is more important into perpetuity. If we miss this one you will be saying the same thing in a few years time.
If we miss this one, then we miss getting good service from this selection when Dawson and Rankine are at their peak, which is the next 3 years, before they start to tail off.

My dream play would be that we split it on draft night - still get the guy we think is the outstanding mid like Langford / Smillie that end up being amazing - get Dodson with the latter split pick - tell Burgess the bad news.

Reality version of that would be that we get the one mid that doesn’t pan out - someone else steals Dodson before us and we end up having to move the new pick to 2025.

Actually what will happen - we pick the most obvious player at pick 4.

My dream play would be that we split it on draft night - still get the guy we think is the outstanding mid like Langford / Smillie that end up being amazing - get Dodson with the latter split pick - tell Burgess the bad news.

Reality version of that would be that we get the one mid that doesn’t pan out - someone else steals Dodson before us and we end up having to move the new pick to 2025.

We don’t have list spots to split

Only thing there is, I don't think we can delist / create another list spot after 31 October? Correct me if I'm wrong but thought that was the deadline.

So say an offer came in on draft night for Picks 6 and 10 for our Pick 4, it'd be our list spot for Pick 64 that we'd be giving up - we couldn't delist somebody on the spot.

It's just on par with the McAsey, Thilthorpe and Rachele draft picks. They were equally as important.

True. But this is the only one of those beside the McAsey disaster that has had gun mids available at our pick.

Thilthorpe draft - Phillips and Hollands

Rachele draft - Ward and Hobbs

And we will take Draper! Which is great to hear

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Only thing there is, I don't think we can delist / create another list spot after 31 October? Correct me if I'm wrong but thought that was the deadline.

So say an offer came in on draft night for Picks 6 and 10 for our Pick 4, it'd be our list spot for Pick 64 that we'd be giving up - we couldn't delist somebody on the spot.
I think we are delisting two players before Draft night anyway - with the intention of moving them to the Rookie list?

Top 5 picks dont come along regularly and they seldom come along with a draft of this quality. Our need is a midfield general who can lead a next generation midfield and can control a game and stand up and go clutch. This is the draft to do it. I can not over estimate the need to not screw this pick up. Our squad will naturally progress away from bottom 5 finishes probably as soon as next year. So the player we draft will be our highest selection we will get for quite a long time.
Yeah but I also feel that it’s just as important to look at the landscape, because a contract no longer means you can’t decide to leave. How many players who were traded just now still had multiple years on their contracts? So this pick becomes extra important because we need our midfield star to want to stay with us the long haul. It can’t be a Houston, Dangerfield, Ablett, Judd to name a few. It needs to be a Hird, McLeod, Voss who stuck with their clubs. I wonder if those sorts of players actually still exist?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have already been approached and killed off any pick split with Richmond. We are going to the draft with it

[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji6][emoji[emoji6]]" data-quote="baldandbroke" data-source="post: 0" class="bbCodeBlock bbCodeBlock--expandable bbCodeBlock--quote js-expandWatch">
And on draft night when we see something materialise that we can't turn away from?

We won’t. We will take Draper and shut up shop
Richmond every chance to get pick 2 - they have asked us for pick 4

And we said not interested

[emoji6][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]]" data-quote="TBM" data-source="post: 0" class="bbCodeBlock bbCodeBlock--expandable bbCodeBlock--quote js-expandWatch">
What had they offered? [emoji6] and [emoji[emoji6][emoji6]]?

Didn’t hear the offer - just that we have no interest in dropping back from .

We won’t. We will take Draper and shut up shop
Richmond every chance to get pick 2 - they have asked us for pick 4

And we said not interested

Weren't you adamant for weeks and weeks Josh Smillie was our target according to a club "source" or am I mistaken?

*Edit

Just checked numerous posts that Smillie was our target?

Last edited:
I'm thinking we go a McHenry type.

Ideally also victorian, and with mummy issues.
Vic metro private schooler (or from the Geelong area)....with a long-term gf who has a grown up as a die hard [insert club here] supporter....

Jokes aside, was interesting that the Lions have adopted a Vic Country recruiting approach ~ to me makes total sense (although a sad indictment on the "national comp").

True. But this is the only one of those beside the McAsey disaster that has had gun mids available at our pick.

Thilthorpe draft - Phillips and Hollands

Rachele draft - Ward and Hobbs

And we will take Draper! Which is great to hear

If only we had taken Serong instead of McAsey, Hey :'(

Weren't you adamant for weeks and weeks Josh Smillie was our target according to a club "source" or am I mistaken?

*Edit

Just checked numerous posts that Smillie was our target?

Yes I was - and that was a couple of months ago, things change

And I think I told you I was disappointed to hear that.

I have no doubt we will do fine with the pick.

The bigger issue is, we need to actually develop the kid properly. None of this messing him around for years on end, playing him mostly as a high forward, or making him the sub constantly, or playing him out of position in the SANFL. Get him in with a very clear eye towards locking him in our starting midfield as soon as possible.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis Why pick 4 is the most important selection the club will have in the next decade.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back