Analysis Why pick 4 is the most important selection the club will have in the next decade.

Remove this Banner Ad

I have no doubt we will do fine with the pick.

The bigger issue is, we need to actually develop the kid properly. None of this messing him around for years on end, playing him mostly as a high forward, or making him the sub constantly, or playing him out of position in the SANFL. Get him in with a very clear eye towards locking him in our starting midfield as soon as possible.
Hopefully Murray Davis is the voice of reason that allows this to happen. Seen it first-hand with Ashcroft at Brisbane.

If Draper is there at pick 4 we have to take him.. if we don't and we pick another interstate lad the club will cop backlash.
So you're suggesting taking the local product even if the recruiting team rate the "other" player's talent base superior?

Would that be the Dangerfield vs Ebert type backlash?

So you're suggesting taking the local product even if the recruiting team rate the "other" player's talent base superior?

Would that be the Dangerfield vs Ebert type backlash?
i just dont think the club can take another hit so soon after the McAsey saga plus im pretty confident from what i have heard and watched that Draper is very talented an dwhat we need.

(semi) controversial opinion

We take Draper and everyone is ecstatic on draft night

He turns out to be a good player , B grade to B+ only though due to lack of composure with ball in hand and kick

He still becomes a decent foundation to work around due to his high work rate and speed / agility/ endurance but the search still goes on for that elusive A grade mid

I have no doubt we will do fine with the pick.

The bigger issue is, we need to actually develop the kid properly. None of this messing him around for years on end, playing him mostly as a high forward, or making him the sub constantly, or playing him out of position in the SANFL. Get him in with a very clear eye towards locking him in our starting midfield as soon as possible.
That's crazy talk!

(semi) controversial opinion

We take Draper and everyone is ecstatic on draft night

He turns out to be a good player , B grade to B+ only though due to lack of composure with ball in hand and kick

He still becomes a decent foundation to work around due to his high work rate and speed / agility/ endurance but the search still goes on for that elusive A grade mid
I don’t see him ever being an A+ player, but a lot will depend on how much he’s able to accumulate the ball

If he’s able to get the ball 28-30 times a game and often hit it at speed, I think he’d be dynamic enough to be considered A-grade, at least

If you keep missing every top 5 pick you have then of course the next one is more important into perpetuity. If we miss this one you will be saying the same thing in a few years time.

My point was not that we missed or selected different in previous picks. The argument is that our rebuild is progressing fast towards a finals ready team and if we finish with a bottom 5 pick next year that is going to be well below the capabilities of the squad. So the likelyhood is we will not get a top 5 pick for the next decade. So this pick counts more then ever to get it right and find that next generation midfielder to put the cherry on top of the cake.

Yeah but I also feel that it’s just as important to look at the landscape, because a contract no longer means you can’t decide to leave. How many players who were traded just now still had multiple years on their contracts? So this pick becomes extra important because we need our midfield star to want to stay with us the long haul. It can’t be a Houston, Dangerfield, Ablett, Judd to name a few. It needs to be a Hird, McLeod, Voss who stuck with their clubs. I wonder if those sorts of players actually still exist?

Always pick the best talent and back your system in to keep them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Always pick the best talent and back your system in to keep them.
We will get a gun midfielder... just a question of whom.

Wtf were West Coast thinking giving up pick 3 for Baker.

You only give up a top pick for a gun player.

That would require me to have knowledge of good prospects, I only know Draper. I am happy for a Mod to put up options.
I'm no expert, but...

Sid Draper
jagga Smith
Sam Lalor
Finn O'Sullivan
Other

We will get a gun midfielder... just a question of whom.

Wtf were West Coast thinking giving up pick 3 for Baker.

You only give up a top pick for a gun player.

Its a candidate for the worst trade in AFL history. The AFL has to ratify all trades as a win win and this is clearly not. Carlton gave up pick 12, 14 and Owies and got pick 3? like what in the cluster **** of all trades is that.

If Draper is there at pick 4 we have to take him.. if we don't and we pick another interstate lad the club will cop backlash.
Yeah but if Draper doesn't amount to anything more than Hamish Hartlett and pick 5 or 6 is the next young superstar who becomes a Brownlow winner then we'll look silly.

You take best available, always

No use getting too worked up about whether or not Draper gets to us.

He’s very good but so are the alternatives who will be available.
Yeah, I'm not worried as unlike last year, it's pretty even early in the draft so we should get a great pick regardless.

No use getting too worked up about whether or not Draper gets to us.

He’s very good but so are the alternatives who will be available.

In my view playing league Sanfl and dominating is a much superior achievement than anything in NAB. Draper should be held in high regard. If he is passed over to us its only because Victorians have too much of a leaning on the NAB u18s.

Yeah but if Draper doesn't amount to anything more than Hamish Hartlett and pick 5 or 6 is the next young superstar who becomes a Brownlow winner then we'll look silly.

You take best available, always

Each club has their player ratings. If draper is rated 4th on our list and our 3rd rated player skates through to us we will pick 3rd every time. We cant sit back and worry what might be with players we didnt pick.

In my view playing league Sanfl and dominating is a much superior achievement than anything in NAB. Draper should be held in high regard. If he is passed over to us its only because Victorians have too much of a leaning on the NAB u18s.
Agree his sanfl form was excellent. Couldn’t have done much more.

Mind you Jagga was also very impressive for Richmond’s vfl side (FOS and Langford also did some good things from a smaller sample size).

Adding lalor, we’ll have a choice out of two of them. It’s a great position to be in.

No doubt with his speed and being a SA lad Draper would be great but we may not have the option.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis Why pick 4 is the most important selection the club will have in the next decade.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back