Analysis Why pick 4 is the most important selection the club will have in the next decade.

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree that it's a very important pick. In general, I'm cautiously optimistic about the long-term prospects of our list build, but the reality is that no player that we've drafted since the rebuild began in 2019/2020 has yet become a genuine star. I think we're all confident that some of those guys will get there (Thilthorpe, Rachele, etc), but it's crucial that Pick 4 does, because it'll accelerate the turnover of the midfield, meaning guys like Crouch (who I really respect) and Dawson (who, imo, is best in a primarily outside role) can get replaced in there.

Agree his sanfl form was excellent. Couldn’t have done much more.

Mind you Jagga was also very impressive for Richmond’s vfl side (FOS and Langford also did some good things from a smaller sample size).

Adding lalor, we’ll have a choice out of two of them. It’s a great position to be in.

No doubt with his speed and being a SA lad Draper would be great but we may not have the option.

If CarLOLton pick Draper ahead of us I will be amazed... truly stunned....

Needs a poll for who will pick.
I'll go .... Hamish :grin:

boom-tish-e-gif.1267314

Over on the Carlton board... seems like the majority of their fans also want Draper.. Could by Bryce Gibbs 2.0

View attachment 2145767

Unless Richmond split their picks and get pick 2, pretty confident Finn O'Sullivan is our guy (Carlton)

At any rate, even if you miss out on Draper, you will find a gun kid with that pick, and should back your club and culture in to develop him in the best way possible (much like Freo have done with their vic/non wa born stars like Serong and Brayshaw etc)

I know this draft is supposed to be deep, but I don't believe the Crows are in a position to try double dip and trade down for an extra FRP)

The adage quality over quantity should always be applied to the top end of the draft.

You guys had a pretty impressive free agency and trade period, and as such shouldn't waste the luxury of wasting a top 5 pick (especially as I don't believe the Crows will be in a position to get one in a while, esp with Tasmania set to hoard the draft from 2026 onwards)

Anyhow sincere and genuine good luck in the draft and for season 2025 onwards, Crows have been out of the finals for too long. Be great to see you back there next year 👍

(semi) controversial opinion

We take Draper and everyone is ecstatic on draft night

He turns out to be a good player , B grade to B+ only though due to lack of composure with ball in hand and kick

He still becomes a decent foundation to work around due to his high work rate and speed / agility/ endurance but the search still goes on for that elusive A grade mid
Get Smith

Agree his sanfl form was excellent. Couldn’t have done much more.

Mind you Jagga was also very impressive for Richmond’s vfl side (FOS and Langford also did some good things from a smaller sample size).

Adding lalor, we’ll have a choice out of two of them. It’s a great position to be in.

No doubt with his speed and being a SA lad Draper would be great but we may not have the option.
Jagga would have absolutely dominated sanfl and gone above 80% DE

Draper was great though at south , they looked a much better team when he was there

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll be happy with any of Lalor, smith, O'Sullivan or draper, but probably prefer them in that order.
As long as Hamish doesn't get cute with a special, we should do ok.

I'd be super happy with jagger.
Can't be scared off by being a metro kid.
Soligo was metro and look at how that's going
safety beach is a long way from the melbourne private school scene

but im with you i want lalor or jagga but i bet theyre both gone by our pick

our only hope is richmond want langford or north want tauru and dont trade down

It’s definitely a consideration for recruiters these days

Lower strike rate to make it if you’re SA
Agree, as I've mentioned elsewhere our SA U18 development pathway isn't on-par with those in the other states.

I think as a result, players aren't as "ready" when they hit the league, making them more likely to be delisted early.

Lol, definitely not!
You're probably right. Short memory from me. It just hurt us so much when he left and he was on the cusp of being the great player that he was at Geelong, which we were beginning to see in Adelaide.

Ebert was no Dangerfield, but was a very good solid player and presuming he played his career out as a Crow, which I think he would've, he would've been a leader and valuable player in the push for a premiership, when Dangerfield was playing for the opposition.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis Why pick 4 is the most important selection the club will have in the next decade.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back