Why wouldnt u take Kreuzer????

Remove this Banner Ad

snowballs

Draftee
Sep 27, 2007
ikea
AFL Club
Carlton
wats the hesitation? where does Kreuzer fault? all the other threads just give opinions with no real basis stunned that ppl r even suggesting Cotchin #1:confused: i wanna know why coz he is not a betta player

wats the hesitation? where does Kreuzer fault? all the other threads just give opinions with no real basis stunned that ppl r even suggesting Cotchin #1:confused: i wanna know why coz he is not a betta player

Have another look. Suggest you see threads where Gilly, HBF and others argue the whys and wherefores of many of the draft prospects. Look - then post.

we all know his going at number 1, theres never been a real debate over this IMO

No hesitation, we will take him, led to believe during trade week, prospective recruits were shown our best 22, and guess who was in the team

Cotchin could be the next Judd but even Richmond may not take him to reunite the Morton brothers.. would be funny if WC got the next Judd at number 3 again

I would be tempted to take Cotchin, and this is why:

As good as Kreuzer is, he might very well turn into the next Josh Fraser. Not that great in the centre square, but can hurt you around the ground with his mobility, and also his willingness to work and get to every contest. He can also go up forward, but he's very much a stay at home FF, and of all the games I have seen him play this year, which would be about 12 or so, i've never really seen him on the lead taking the ball in front of his eyes. He pretty much always takes a contested mark in and around the goal square using his strength to out muscle smaller opponents.

As for Cotchin, he's somewhat a combination of a Gary Ablett Jnr and Chris Judd. Doesn't have the "magic" of Ablett Jnr, but can really hurt you throug the midfield. Can also go forward, is good overhead for a guy who is 185cm, and can kick goals. As for the Judd comparison, just the way he swoops through packs, takes the ball off the ground as clean as anyone, and is away before anyone knows where he is gone.

In one example, during the U18 Carnival out at Princes Park on the outer wing, the ball was in dispute and on the ground. Cotchin came in, scooped the ball up one handed, and with his non-dominant side, cleared the ball and sent it forward for VM. What makes this even more amazing was that it had been raining all day, and the ball was wet and heavy.

So, at the end of the day, you are choosing between a better version of Josh Fraser (Kreuzer), and a kid that has been likened to Ablett Jnr/Judd.

Who would you choose?

So, at the end of the day, you are choosing between a better version of Josh Fraser (Kreuzer), and a kid that has been likened to Ablett Jnr/Judd.

Honestly, I don't think it's that easy. Obviously, you've seen much more of them than what I have, but I don't think it's as easy as saying player A is similar to _____, and B is similar to _____, who will you choose. Also, while Cotchin might be a similar type to Judd/Ablett - is he as talented? I've read on here that there's probably a couple more talented mids than him next year, when ruckmen as good as Kreuzer would be much rarer (although Natunui is a very exciting prospect).

What makes you feel safe saying that Cotchin isn't a better player than Kreuzer?

And heyhey, get lost. This forum isn't for immature idiots.

My issue with potentially taking Cotchin is we've taken the next midfield big thing 2 years straight, and passed on luenberger last year. We don't need anymore midfielders as we just got Judd and Hadley aswell.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My issue with potentially taking Cotchin is we've taken the next midfield big thing 2 years straight, and passed on luenberger last year. We don't need anymore midfielders as we just got Judd and Hadley aswell.

Consistently this keeps popping up: pick Kreuzer because we NEED a ruckman. MOST posters who are proposing Kreuzer over Cotchin do so because Carlton NEEDS a ruckman. NOT because they think Kreuzer will be a better player. Matter of fact the start of this thread is the first time I've read it. I prefer Cotchin. He is very Gary Ablett Jr for mine. And Carlton needs that every bit as much as it needs a ruckman.

The Blues, even with Judd, don't have anyone like Cotchin. A guy who can genuinely crumb across HFF and move into the midfield. He actually has a bit of the Steve Johnson factor about him. When fit Judd plays almost exclusively midfield/bench. Stevens, Murphy and Gibbs don't really show up as good resting forward types. The blues have the chance here to lock in a 10 year midfield of Murphy, Gibbs and Cotchin. We have a ruckman (I am sold on Hampson). Just needs a competent back up and that SURELY can't be hard to find. Get COTCH.

You don't want to pick a midfielder because we've taken good midfielders previously? I take you'd extend that approach and turn down Daniel Kerr, because we got Judd and Hadley?

Simply put, we don't have many players like Cotchin. Elite midfielders. It'd be a mistake to ignore him because we have a lot of "solid" midfielders. If he's the best available, take him. I guarantee to you, we'll ALWAYS have room for someone as special as Cotchin. Can you imagine Murphy, Gibbs & Cotchin running around in tandem? A trio that talented is unheard of.

Don't forget we did take the bloke that was widely regarded as the second best ruck prospect in the draft :thumbsu:

Don't forget we did take the bloke that was widely regarded as the second best ruck prospect in the draft :thumbsu:

Who the Pies tossed up for a selection at 10. In a great draft. And I think given what he showed late in the year were he to go into this draft he'd be a top 10 certainty.

I agree with Windows....I think we have lacked an exciting small forward/midfielder who is explosive can kick goals and has some X-factor, hurt factor and can win games off his own boot. Geelong have Ablett Jnr, Chapman and Steve Johnson....when you add them to a core midfield of bartel, corey, ling and kelly (now Selwood too) you begin to see where their real potency is....they really stretch opposition runners with an excess of skill, speed and strength.

How would Hampson rate compared to McEvoy, who from memory is widely regarded as the second best ruck prospect this year?

Reading the game - McEvoy

Contested marking - McEvoy

Athleticism - Hampson by a fair margin

Ruckwork - Hampson will be better in the long term by virtue of his athleticism

Kicking and around the ground - McEvoy

Resting up Forward - McEvoy for now, but again I project Hampson will be more effective in the long term.

Despite being younger McEvoy would still have had a lot more footy hours than Hampson. Hampson smashes him in athleticism though and i once he bulks up sufficiently I think Hampson has some enormous room for improvement....more room than McEvoy (or kreuzer for that matter). I would be very surprised if Hampson ever gets to the level of kreuzer with his work around the ground, but at 202cm, with an 80cm leap and sub 3 second 20m he is an exciting prospect. I also hear he was so enthsed and encouraged by his two senior matches that he wanted to start pre-season immediately :thumbsu:

How would Hampson rate compared to McEvoy, who from memory is widely regarded as the second best ruck prospect this year?
I'd rather Hampson. Better athlete. Better tap ruck. McEvoy is a good mark, ok tap ruck I guess. I think he will be a decent AFL player. Hampson could be anything. He just needs to play a lot to get experience and work hard. The only query I have on Hampson is his intensity. Otherwise just an amazing prospect I think. McEvoy is kind of good at a number of things (especially marking) but not great at anything. Not sure about his leap or mobility - seem to be just solid at best to the eye. So I'd think he will be a competent AFL ruck but not dominant. Can't really see him doing much as a forward at AFL level. Can see him being an ok ruckman.

Remove this Banner Ad

Why wouldnt u take Kreuzer????

Remove this Banner Ad

Back