Will Australia be forced to change its flag in 2014 if Scotland votes yes?

Remove this Banner Ad

Will the union flag be changed ? Maybe wales will get in finally

Union_Flag_of_UK_with_Wales.png

New_Union_Jack_3.svg

wales.jpg

You'd think they'd have to take the Scottish cross (St. Andrew's Cross) out. As much as the Jack is such a big part of their tourism, it simply wouldn't make sense to leave it in. It isn't historic in their context and putting Wales in instead makes sense. Swansea and Cardiff are in the EPL after all!

In Aus, I can see the hardline Liberals saying it is irrelevant due to the fact the Jack is mostly on our flag in a historical context anyway (as The Speaker says above). Others will see it as an excuse to change. It may effect the general mood if England changes their's, since traditionalists will see that being out of touch is a bit out of touch with how the world really works. I think changing it makes sense when Australia truly feels it can outgrow its European heritage. All it needs is a good enough design. The Eureka Flag is good. The cross bit just seem a bit Christian (esp when you consider St. George's Cross and its relationship with the Crusades) and the Unions and White Supremacists use it, but they aren't reasons for the rest of us to dismiss it's simplicity, Ausness and relationship with our history. Just like how the Boxing Kangaroo is great, even tho Bondy may not have turned out to be a clean-cut example of Australian ingenuity.

You'd think they'd have to take the Scottish cross (St. Andrew's Cross) out. As much as the Jack is such a big part of their tourism, it simply wouldn't make sense to leave it in. It isn't historic in their context and putting Wales in instead makes sense. Swansea and Cardiff are in the EPL after all!

In Aus, I can see the hardline Liberals saying it is irrelevant due to the fact the Jack is mostly on our flag in a historical context anyway (as The Speaker says above). Others will see it as an excuse to change. It may effect the general mood if England changes their's, since traditionalists will see that being out of touch is a bit out of touch with how the world really works. I think changing it makes sense when Australia truly feels it can outgrow its European heritage. All it needs is a good enough design. The Eureka Flag is good. The cross bit just seem a bit Christian (esp when you consider St. George's Cross and its relationship with the Crusades) and the Unions and White Supremacists use it, but they aren't reasons for the rest of us to dismiss it's simplicity, Ausness and relationship with our history. Just like how the Boxing Kangaroo is great, even tho Bondy may not have turned out to be a clean-cut example of Australian ingenuity.

We'll become a republic before we change a flag.
Many Australians are very attached to the flag and can't see the double majority occuring any time soon.

And that's assuming an alternative flag that people accept actually gets put out. I hate the eureka flag and the boxing kangaroo would be tacky.

I still think that if Scotland goes and England adopts St George's flag we should slowly increase the size of the Jack until it covers the entire flag.

Then we can tell all the school kids that Australia once ruled the waves

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Many Australians are very attached to the flag and can't see the double majority occuring any time soon.
I know people quite literally attached to the southern cross via tattooes, but most of the people 'attached' to the current flag seem to be 'aint broke' types (who could be swayed by a good flag design in line with Australia becoming a republic) and those that are pro our British heritage. If Britain changes their own flag it might persuade a few that they're priorities are a bit misaligned with Britain itself.

Obv it would still be a big debate, but I don't think there are that many people who love our current flag. They probably like it more than our anthem and as the years pass it gets more associated with Australian success (as impractical as it is for the printed page, I liked the double-sided flag look Cathy used after winning Gold in 2000) but if Britain changes their flag I think we will change ours eventually.

Sanders is on the money. Try to separate a Scot from a subsidy. They are like public servants with their predilection to keep their snouts in the English funded trough.

Their best hope is for the Poms to have a referendum ie to vote for English independence and get rid of the Celts.

Sanders is on the money. Try to separate a Scot from a subsidy. They are like public servants with their predilection to keep their snouts in the English funded trough.

Their best hope is for the Poms to have a referendum ie to vote for English independence and get rid of the Celts.
I never understood why the English never put their hands up here? I was in England when Wales and Scotland where going through the devolution business and couldn't understand why the English kept quiet. An English Parliament based in somewhere like York makes a lot of sense.

Traditionally Tories are the unionists so they are reluctant to kick up too much of a fuss. Labour has a huge amount of Scottish seats (and the lib dems have a few) so there is absolutely no way they are in favour. I think quite a few Tories are now thinking that setting Scotland and Wales (and NI which neither Tories nor Labour have any real interest in) free makes quite a bit of sense. Plenty think that once the referendum fails Cameron will offer Devolution max which may in some way limit Scottish mps voting on English matters in Westminster. Almost impossible for the Tories to get a majority now given Scotland and the inbuilt electoral bias towards labour.

see below. Poms happy to wave goodbye.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...itain-divided-over-Scottish-independence.html

I never understood why the English never put their hands up here? I was in England when Wales and Scotland where going through the devolution business and couldn't understand why the English kept quiet. An English Parliament based in somewhere like York makes a lot of sense.

York is the capital of Yorkshire

Gough they already are. They have no Scottish seats and stuff all in Wales. IIRC they have none in Liverpool and have no council seats in a number of cities up north.

Look at the map and Harrogate sticks out like a sore thumb. Opposite for Labour. Outside deprived inner cities and ethnic minorities they get no seats in the South. They are despised as much as the Tories are up north.

You are right in what you say, a number of Tories can see that this makes sense. I suspect it will happen but not under Cameron who is too weak to grasp the nettle.

Remove this Banner Ad

Will Australia be forced to change its flag in 2014 if Scotland votes yes?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back