Will Australia be forced to change its flag in 2014 if Scotland votes yes?

Remove this Banner Ad

Who says that makes you australian?

Your lineage is just boat people :)

I don't know what you are trying to say.

My origin in Australia. Anything which originates in Australia is Australian. Whether I am indigenous to Australia is a completely different concept.

The federation star originated in Australia and symbolises Australia's government.
The Union Jack originated in the UK and symbolises the union of England Scotland and Wales.

I have NFI why you are trying to obfuscate a pretty obvious point of difference.

Neither am I. I wasn't even born here but the current flag is great and I have a lot of pride in it. It's Australian and it recognizes our heritage.

Sorry you have identity issues.

Wow, truly wow. It's Australian? The British Union Jack and a star constellation unique to the sthn hemisphere.

No other nation with any ideal of self worth has their former colonial masters flag plastered all over their own. For the 21st century it's comical and downright embarrassing.

I don't know what you are trying to say.

My origin in Australia. Anything which originates in Australia is Australian. Whether I am indigenous to Australia is a completely different concept.

Your origin is superficially in Australia, its just convenience to draw the line where it suits you.

I have NFI why you are trying to obfuscate a pretty obvious point of difference.

The difference is a lot subtler than you realise

Wow, truly wow. It's Australian? The British Union Jack and a star constellation unique to the sthn hemisphere.

No other nation with any ideal of self worth has their former colonial masters flag plastered all over their own. For the 21st century it's comical and downright embarrassing.

Yep. Very proud of the flag. A nod to our history and founders. It's good to belong to something bigger imo.

If you need another flag to have some sort of self worth or pride in your nation, your searching for something you'll never find.

We have better weather, beer, entertainment, beaches, women and accent. Be proud of what you can enjoy.

Yep. Very proud of the flag. A nod to our history and founders. It's good to belong to something bigger imo.

If you need another flag to have some sort of self worth or pride in your nation, your searching for something you'll never find.

We have better weather, beer, entertainment, beaches, women and accent. Be proud of what you can enjoy.

No one has better beer than Britain :p

Old Speckled Hen- though Hobgoblin is good.... and Fork Handles... ooh, I need a beer!

If the flag represents heritage, then why does it not display racist images and writing as Australia was born out of racism and fear of the other. The character of this nation was forged in ignorant protectionism. So why not have these fine things recognised on our flag? If that is what the flag is for.

If the flag represents heritage, then why does it not display racist images and writing as Australia was born out of racism and fear of the other. The character of this nation was forged in ignorant protectionism. So why not have these fine things recognised on our flag? If that is what the flag is for.

Eureka Flag would represent that perfectly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Scottish independence movement saddens me greatly. Not because of the end of empire, i couldn't care less about it as a soft republican. But the English and the Scottish are one people who have been driven apart by foreign influences (Gealic, Angles, Normans, Vikings) that go back a thousand years, but at the heart of it they are the same people.

As for the Australian flag. I believe in organic change, when the masses want it and the debate is being had then i guess it will be put to the vote. But i'd imagine it would be need to come from a broader ideological and political shift rather than it being a single issue.

Yeah. Fear of the French.

Wright Away, all countries have issues of racism , and your talking about when Australia became a country in 1900, attitudes were different then , and places evolve, please get the huge chip off your shoulder and time for you to maybe go and have a look at other countries and their entrenched racism problems, before pointing the finger at Australia ,

I was born a pom & the only connection i have left to old blighty is when England kicks the arse of Australia in both cricket & rugby.

Doubt very much that the Scots will vote in the affirmative anyway in the partial move away from the UK.

We definitely should not have a foreign monarch as our head of state, not sure about the flag though as a lot of sentiment & history is in that flag.

German beer is superior to all other beers, very cheap & no massive hangover in the morning.

Kinda ironic that the movement for a scottish parliament was given a kick along by braveheart, with mel gibson an austral-american weaving part fiction part fact which nevertheless gave an emotional kick to scottish nationalism

The Scottish independence movement saddens me greatly. Not because of the end of empire, i couldn't care less about it as a soft republican. But the English and the Scottish are one people who have been driven apart by foreign influences (Gealic, Angles, Normans, Vikings) that go back a thousand years, but at the heart of it they are the same people.

Not really. The Scots are Celts.

They aren't the same people and don't consider themselves to be either.

Remove this Banner Ad

Will Australia be forced to change its flag in 2014 if Scotland votes yes?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back