Play Nice Will Geelong win the 2016 premiership?

Where do you think the Cats will finish this year?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm looking forward to you being proven correct.

Top 10 draft pick here we come...

lol I didn't say they wont, just not convinced they will. Teams like Port, Geelong, GWS and GC are disappointed with 2015 and want to make finals in 2016 but there are a lot of teams in the mix, while Geelong's inclusions are pretty good, they are losing players as well; Stokes, Kelly, Johnson and Rivers in particular. It is still going to come down to the consistency of the bottom 5-10 players in their best 22 and the depth they have outside of it to cover injuries.

Most of the sides that finished outside the top 8 that had expectations of making the top 8 this year did so because they lack depth and I am not sure the depth issue has improved for Geelong, if they have a few key injuries in 2016 then I don't see the situation improving dramatically unless some of the younger guys extract the digit and become more consistent and more reliable next year.

Surely you can't be happy with selling next year's first rounder for a journeyman like Henderson?

I would not class him as a journeyman. Like many younger players he has been inconsistent - some of that down to injuries. He showed form in 2013, coming 3rd in Carlton's best and fairest, ahead of Gibbs, Murphy, Judd, Garlett, Curnow, Yarran etc. And this was not a hopeless Carlton team. It they had kicked straight against Sydney they might have made the prelim final.

Clearly to trade him for a first round pick is a gamble but I think a calculated one. We have a need right now for a mature age tall, especially one that can play forward or back. He is motivated to come to the club so his mind should be in the right place to play his best footy.

First round draft picks are a gamble too. Remember Hawks picking Mitch Thorp before Joel Selwood?

What's with the hate from the Hawk fans? I mean they have won 3 premierships since the old rivarly days between the two clubs.
In a perverse way I reckon the vitriol we are seeing from some Hawks supporters is borne out of jealousy. Of course they'd never admit it, particularly when the Hawks are reigning premiers.

But why else would you be bitching about such things as how foolish Geelong was in letting Stevie J go; picking up Paddy Dangerfield but having too many holes to reap any benefit out of his recruitment; not having any elite players; or being a regional team with less members than Hawthorn (why that was even brought up by a Hawk poster defies explanation)?

Maybe its because the Hawks posters who are bitching are jealous that Geelong is proactively rebuilding its team, whereas Hawthorn still has to face the pain of losing Hodge, Lewis, Mitchell, Burgoyne et al.

Or maybe its because the Hawks genuinely thought they would get Dangerfield?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In a perverse way I reckon the vitriol we are seeing from some Hawks supporters is borne out of jealousy. Of course they'd never admit it, particularly when the Hawks are reigning premiers.

But why else would you be bitching about such things as how foolish Geelong was in letting Stevie J go; picking up Paddy Dangerfield but having too many holes to reap any benefit out of his recruitment; not having any elite players; or being a regional team with less members than Hawthorn (why that was even brought up by a Hawk poster defies explanation)?

Maybe its because the Hawks posters who are bitching are jealous that Geelong is proactively rebuilding its team, whereas Hawthorn still has to face the pain of losing Hodge, Lewis, Mitchell, Burgoyne et al.

I wouldn't call it jealousy, but there is a level of fear when a side decides to attack a Premiership by finding holes in their list and filling them with established talent.

They'd be more comfortable if Geelong stuck to the script, got rid of their aging champs, replaced them with kids and started a rebuild from the bottom half of the ladder. If we choose to do that, we're no threat to teams currently contending.

If you go back through this thread, I'd bet that most negative opinions come from people who support Hawthorn, West Coast, Fremantle or Sydney. Teams who are in the window now. They didn't want to be joined by Geelong, so they are downplaying the approach because they're worried it just might work.

They still might be right and it might fail, but I think anyone who predicts a further slide and a failed rebuild is just hoping for it, because they don't want to see Geelong challenge again.

Last edited:
I wouldn't call it jealousy, but there is a level of fear when a side decides to attack a Premiership by finding holes in their list and filling them with established talent.

They'd be more comfortable if Geelong stuck to the script, got rid of their aging champs, replaced them with kids and started a rebuild from the bottom half of the ladder. If we choose to do that, we're no threat to teams currently contending.

If you go back through this thread, I'd bet that most negative opinions come from people who support Hawthorn, West Coast, Fremantle or Sydney. Teams who are in the window now. They didn't want to be joined by Geelong, so they are downplaying the approach because they're worried it just might work.

They still might be right and it might fail, but I think anyone who predicts a further slide and a failed rebuild.

A pretty accurate post I think. The last thing hawk's fans want after this year eclipsing Geelong's 2007-2011 accomplishments is to have Geelong come back and get another , making the comparisons a lot less clear.

Not convinced the recruits will make enough difference to get Geelong back into top 4 though. Still have some very old legs running through their midfield who might be having their last year this year. Dangerfield will make a huge difference, but improvement from their bottom 6 , especially those running through the middle will be more crucial to their 2016 chances I think.

They are a genuine threat in 2016 if they can keep their key position players fit & healthy. I think that will be the key for the Cats. Having Hawkins, Clark, Vardy, Stanley and Zac Smith all fit will be important. Add in Dangerfield, S.Selwood in the midfield along with Caddy and Duncan and they've got some tough inside midfielders who all kick goals, and the return of Daniel Menzel will give them another target up forward and Henderson can play at both ends strengthening their key position stocks.

Not all Hawthorn supporters are "bitching" mate. There's still a few of us around that think Geelong have done well so far in the trade period. Both Danger and S. Selwood are strong midfield additions. It wasn't that long ago people were saying Scott was the best footballer out of the lot (Selwood Brothers). Danger, well.... We all know how explosive he can be out of the middle.

Moving Johnson on was a good call IMHO and gives a younger player or someone else a chance to step up.

I really think Geelong can make finals and if they do, they can do a bit of damage whilst in there.

Anyway, very impressed with how the Cats got Dangerfield. No fuss and played a straight bat.

Good luck next year.

Cheers.

Not all Hawthorn supporters are "bitching" mate. There's still a few of us around that think Geelong have done well so far in the trade period. Both Danger and S. Selwood are strong midfield additions. It wasn't that long ago people were saying Scott was the best footballer out of the lot (Selwood Brothers). Danger, well.... We all know how explosive he can be out of the middle.

Moving Johnson on was a good call IMHO and gives a younger player or someone else a chance to step up.

I really think Geelong can make finals and if they do, they can do a bit of damage whilst in there.

Anyway, very impressed with how the Cats got Dangerfield. No fuss and played a straight bat.

Good luck next year.

Cheers.
As I said "some" Hawk supporters - they know who they are. The majority are good people!

As I said "some" Hawk supporters - they know who they are. The majority are good people!
We have our moments Sttew haha. I will admit I'm no saint. It's sometimes hard to hold your tongue (or fingers in this instance) with some posts bandied around on here. But hey it is bigfooty! Cheers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Play Nice Will Geelong win the 2016 premiership?

Back