Society/Culture Will the people rise?

Remove this Banner Ad

It's in for 6 months minimum. So put on your big boy pants and adapt.

You honestly think the Aussie public is going to cop six months of stage 3 lockdown? With possibly more oppressive restrictions yet to come. With absolutely zero backlash?

It’s only going to get worse. People are going to go nuts, and then it’s on.

Look, the shit that's going on right now - nobody in Australia has been through this before at this societal level. NOBODY. People are on lockdown. People have no jobs to go to. People have extremely limited social contact. Going a bit stir-crazy, it's understandable. Getting restive, it's understandable.

Nobody knows what the f*ck to do, or how this is going to progress in the world at large. We all of us are groping in the dark to a large extent.

Nobody should be tearing anyone a new hole just for voicing opinions from that dark.

You honestly think the Aussie public is going to cop six months of stage 3 lockdown? With possibly more oppressive restrictions yet to come. With absolutely zero backlash?

It’s only going to get worse. People are going to go nuts, and then it’s on.
Wont happen, Australian citizens are not prone to uprisings in any way.
Not saying its a good things, just saying its not in the DNA.
I think The Clash summed us up perfectly in the song White Riot.

Because we don’t want to burn our economies to the ground, and throw away our liberty and personal freedom in the toilet?

Give me a break.
We’ve seen the public health models, I think that’s pretty clear to everyone.

What’s your model for dealing with this situation? Can we have an economy and not blow up the healthcare system?

I feel your concern, but it’s not as though the west hasn’t clamped down on liberties and rights in times of crisis before. Is there a deeper agenda this time? What is the logic here?

Would these sorts of measures ever be justified from your POV?

Look, the shit that's going on right now - nobody in Australia has been through this before at this societal level. NOBODY. People are on lockdown. People have no jobs to go to. People have extremely limited social contact. Going a bit stir-crazy, it's understandable. Getting restive, it's understandable.

Nobody knows what the f*ck to do, or how this is going to progress in the world at large. We all of us are groping in the dark to a large extent.

Nobody should be tearing anyone a new hole just for voicing opinions from that dark.
The fact that we are allowed to question the authorities says something and that our backlash can elicit a response in the authorities.

How often do you hear of police forces apologising in authoritarian regimes?

If Aussie diggers can live in flooded bog of the trenches with disease rampant and barely any fresh water and tins of shit food, then we can live for 6 months in our own centrally heated homes with an abundance of food and bog paper. Some people need to grow some balls.

Your life is worth NO MORE than anyone else's.

You have a selfish narcissists viewpoint.
You don't get to say who deserves to live or die.
Get over yourself!

One hospital bed left. A 12 month old otherwise healthy baby and a 93 year old man with cancer need it.

Who do you think gets it.

If Aussie diggers can live in flooded bog of the trenches with disease rampant and barely any fresh water and tins of shit food, then we can live for 6 months in our own centrally heated homes with an abundance of food and bog paper. Some people need to grow some balls.

Yeah right.

It’s not about the being at home bit you clown - although if you think this isn’t going to send a hell of a lot of people off a mental cliff, you are kidding yourself.

This is about a societies liberties and freedom, and overall way of life, being completely taken away. At least those diggers you talk about, had a free, democratic society to come home too.

Once the police state genie gets out of the bottle, it doesn’t go back in again.

Don’t you get that?

Yeah right.

It’s not about the being at home bit you clown - although if you think this isn’t going to send a hell of a lot of people off a mental cliff, you are kidding yourself.

This is about a societies liberties and freedom, and overall way of life, being completely taken away. At least those diggers you talk about, had a free, democratic society to come home too.

Once the police state genie gets out of the bottle, it doesn’t go back in again.

Don’t you get that?
It’s a pandemic not a revolution. Are you ****** serious?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am not suggesting this isn’t a gravely serious global issue, but part of me feels like why doesn’t everyone just get exposed to it, and work toward some kind of herd immunity scenario. Like those chicken pox parties mums used to send there kids too back in the day. Certainly many will die from this approach, but who is to say these vulnerable people wouldn’t of died anyway? I know that’s incredibly harsh and selfish, but we simply can’t allow civilisation to grind to a halt over a virus with such a low mortality rate.
I'm a bit surprised none of the governments have thought of this idea

I'm a bit surprised none of the governments have thought of this idea
Zeke The Great, more seriously, I wonder whether a government using this strategy might find it difficult to win back the trust of its population. A lot of citizens would lose family and friends. A lot of those losses will be people in roles like teaching and health services. Everyday hero types. Can a government that applies herd immunity theory to this come back from what many would view as sacrificing at best, murdering at worst, its own people? Would that not be more likely to trigger a revolution? We will probably never know but I suspect that it would.

Zeke The Great, more seriously, I wonder whether a government using this strategy might find it difficult to win back the trust of its population. A lot of citizens would lose family and friends. A lot of those losses will be people in roles like teaching and health services. Everyday hero types. Can a government that applies herd immunity theory to this come back from what many would view as sacrificing at best, murdering at worst, its own people? Would that not be more likely to trigger a revolution? We will probably never know but I suspect that it would.

We are missing one point here.

China created this mess.

Not us.

Not sure how that makes a difference. Can you explain?

That ultimately, it’s the fault of China what negative outcomes come out of this scenario.

They loosed this plague upon the world, now we must do what we must to strike a balance between containment and preserving our free, democratic, way of life.

If family members want to blame someone for the death of loved ones, blame the Chinese.

That ultimately, it’s the fault of China what negative outcomes come out of this scenario.

They loosed this plague upon the world, now we must do what we must to strike a balance between containment and preserving our free, democratic, way of life.

If family members want to blame someone for the death of loved ones, blame the Chinese.

I see. And how does that relate to my earlier post? Say everyone agrees that this is China's fault. Do you think the Australian population would forgive the Australian government if it implemented herd immunity and loads of people died? How would people believing this is China's fault or not make any difference?

I see. And how does that relate to my earlier post? Say everyone agrees that this is China's fault. Do you think the Australian population would forgive the Australian government if it implemented herd immunity and loads of people died? How would people believing this is China's fault or not make any difference?

If it’s explained and sold to the public properly, that we need to make hard decisions to get through an unprecedented crisis, then I think yes, the Australian public would ‘forgive’.

For what it’s worth, I am not suggesting some sort of death panel type scenario. Merely a change in approach to how we are dealing with this emergency.

We can proceed the way we are going and burn our economy to the ground, and live in a society best described as one where we ‘exist’ in a state of perpetual house arrest, with draconian and disproportionate punishments for those who transgress, or we can bite the bullet, and try and take some short term pain in order to bring this thing to a head.

I choose option B.

Remove this Banner Ad

Society/Culture Will the people rise?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back