Will we make finals?!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: 4th to 11th..........

Put this in the "Will we make finals" thread.

First of all, theres like one game between 4th and 11th.
Secondly, the side can either go up or down from here. Depending on the injuries, and how we handle our ruck problem.

Not to worried how we go this year, purely about getting this gameplan in place, next year is where we start to climb.

it could be a possible that we could get our strongest team for 2009 against melbourne apart form from david hille not playing, but fletcher hurley and wesh could return 50-50 chance agianst melbourne, so we still have a chance to make finals but it could be tough.

the word "finals" should be banned from this forum board ... we are fringe finals team at best so stop talking finals and start talking injuries, player development and squad depth.

sick to death of it. you fight hard, you see where it gets ya and if you finish in the top 8 then woopty do. finals experience would be great, but we've got a long way to go before then so let's focus on the next match.

Not to worried how we go this year, purely about getting this gameplan in place, next year is where we start to climb.

I honestly thought we wouldn't make it this year, but should next year.
A friend of mine shot Knights down in flames, claiming he f*cked the Bombers hard...this was said last year. This was my response:

Knights needs a chance.
It's his first year..
He is working with 16 players who have played 0 - 10 games.
6 players who have played from 10 - 50 games,
and well, hasn't had much luck with some of the players getting injured....

I'm not to worried at the moment,
We wont make the top 8 in 2009 either.

See how Knighters goes,give the young ones more game play..get some experience and if things aren't looking good by end of season 2010,
that's when I'll start getting worried and want changes made.

CARN THE BOMBERS - TOP 8 IN 2010!

Still sticking to my word...
so would be a bonus if we did make it this year. :)

Annoyed with Carlton getting their week off before they play us...DANG!!! :thumbsdown:

knighters told me goal is to win 3 more this year.

id be happy with that?

Need an 8+ goal win over Melbourne to get back into the mix.

If Collingwood beats Sydney (by any amount) - we really only need to beat Melbourne by 10+ points to snatch the 8th place.

If Sydney beats Collingwood (by any amount) - we would need to beat Melbourne by 20+ points to snatch the 8th place.

But it seems as if easy percentage boosting opportunities come along once in a blue moon these days, and this is one. I think a win-hungry determined Essendon is capable of raking in the % if they put their mind to it. :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Need to win by 64 to get back to 100% F/A then we would be a fair bit clear of the 9th and 10th teams on the ladder (assuming we win and take 8th).

But to be honest percentage isn't going to make too much of a difference if we don't win atleast 6-7 more games :rolleyes:

Would love to say yes, but I don't feel we're finals material just yet. The better sides are hitting their strides now and I feel the top 8 is set.

2010 will be our 'real' breakout year.

I'm calling it now, round 22 against Hawthorn. The winner will play finals, the loser will finish 9th or 10th.

Seems reasonable.

But honestly, I think the Brisbane game will be the most defining game for our second half of the season.

And since it's in Melbourne, we'll have a good shot at it too.

Lose the game, and you can pretty much kiss finals goodbye. It's a must.

Lose the next three and you can kiss finals goodbye.

A lot of you here are just sweeping the Melbourne, Carlton and Collingwood games under the carpet, as if it is fait accompli.

Carlton, if not for Fev's demonic goal-kicking, would have pushed ahead by a comfortable 3 goals. Judd always kills us while Hille usually tears them a new one.

We only just escaped on ANZAC Day. Medhurst was underdone while Didak didn't play, we know how he likes to play against us.

Even Melbourne could cause an upset this week.

Every week is like a mini-final for us.

Even if we do get past this period we've got Sydney (SCG, tough hard slog up there), Dogs (Top 4 time, have owned us in recent times) and Brisbane (smashed us last time and are looking a lock for the top 8).

Lose the next three and you can kiss finals goodbye.

Agreed, that's why they are must wins, no doubt.

A lot of you here are just sweeping the Melbourne, Carlton and Collingwood games under the carpet, as if it is fait accompli.

Don't take this personally, but I'm getting kinda sick of people assuming some of us are sweeping the games under the rug, or calling them wins. That's not the case.

These three games are winnable, you wouldn't expect clear favourites unless there were to be any major injuries. But as the team is now, these games can go either way. They're not banked wins per-say, but they are certainly winnable.

Carlton, if not for Fev's demonic goal-kicking, would have pushed ahead by a comfortable 3 goals. Judd always kills us while Hille usually tears them a new one.

You've been a little brainwashed there buddy.

Carlton - 16.16 (112)
Essendon – 17.14 (116)

'Nuff said.

Fev's "would be" goals wouldn't have affected us throughtout the whole game, considering you could say the same about our shots on goal as well. It's only because Fev is the primary shot on goal for the Blues, that you start to assume he would have kicked a 'bag' to affect the game dramatically. You could say the same about us. As the old saying goes... "Could, Woulda, Shoulda... but didn't". That's just the way the game goes. There were minimal differences in the stats overall. Our efforts in the last quater to hold them up like we did were the efforts of a better team on the night.

Hille being out is a massive out for us, obviously. He's a top ruckman, but Ryder is able to take the cake, and he'll have a feild day on Kreuzer. Hampson is an inexperienced hack.

There were many players which were not able to play in Round 3, who are going to be massive ins for us in Round 13. McVeigh, Prismall, Reimers, Welshy, ect; - we've lost a few, but we've gained some as well. Lovett will keep Ratt's on his feet. Juddy will do the same for us, Welshy did a good job on him in Round 13 last year though... kept on him like a glove on hands, maybe we should set it up again?

We only just escaped on ANZAC Day. Medhurst was underdone while Didak didn't play, we know how he likes to play against us.

Medhurst shmedhurst. Only just escaping is better than a blow out. It showed that we are able to match them, the fact that it could go either way based on the last efforts on any team is just the logistics of the game. If they were so frightening, we wouldn't have even posed such a threat.

Keep in mind Hille fell just two minutes in the game and we had to rush Ryder into the ruck, which was superb gameplanning by Knight's as a coach & it shows he really is ready for any challenge that put's up out of & in the game. We displayed courage & we're able to get over the line, why?... because we showed class & heart. Something that caused us to win the game, it had nothing to do with "chance". Those 3 goals in 5 minutes don't just come waltzing along my friend.

These games are winnable, even the second time we play them. I'm not saying they're penciled wins, but we can win them if we play with intent.

Even Melbourne could cause an upset this week.

True. But I'm extremely confident a win-hungry Essendon can deflect this, and win with confidence. Just as 10 other teams have managed to do this year. I honestly doubt a team like Melbourne can really pose a threat, we are just too close to the form we displayed against a team like Adelaide the previous match.

Even if we do get past this period we've got Sydney (SCG, tough hard slog up there), Dogs (Top 4 time, have owned us in recent times) and Brisbane (smashed us last time and are looking a lock for the top 8).

It doesn't matter. If you know anything about how the ladder works, you'll know that losing to the Dogs & Swans won't matter as long as we get over the line against Carlton & the Pies. Brisbane is a crucial game for us, I'll give you that. It's a needed win if you're looking to play finals this year.

Finals is something we should always aspire to achieve until it's mathematically impossible. We play games to make an impact. I don't have to expect to play finals to appreciate a go.

That's my two cents, on your two cents. ;)

Great reply CMC, credit to you.

What erks me about Fev is that the goals he missed last time, well... quite frankly he has not looked like missing every other time we've played them. I can also see the side where we match up well against them. Even though Judd usually racks up big numbers, we're usually able to contain Gibbs/Murphy while firing with Lovey/Stanton/Jobe.

i think you underestimate how good Medhurst is. he killed us on the ANZAC before last. In the second game of last year, there was a reason why Fletcher went to Medhurst, because he's an extremely dangerous forward. Slattery did a good job this year although Medhurst was still underdone from the Brisbane game before.

And to some degree, there is some truth in the fact that Collingwood didn;t really 'rock-up' on that day. I acknowledge the fact that we didn't let them play well but Collingwood have changed from the 'boundary-hugging crab' crap and have switched to a gameplan that involves more corridor usage. Dangerous. They are reknowned for their teamwork and their 'team-defence'.

On one hand, I agree that finals should be an annual goal yet I still believe it is too early for us to say, 'yes, that Brisbane game will be a crucial one' because if we get pounded in the next month, we can kiss finals goodbye.

Here it is:

Win our next 3 and we make finals.
Win 1 of our next three and we don't make finals.

Win 2 of the next 3 and it's 50/50.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back