Will you be booing Gary Ablett at Skilled Stadium?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like many have already said i just hope for no Gary love fest from the geelong fans but fear it may happen.

As far as i'm concerned you don't deserve to be cheered for turning your back on the club for the cash. Doesn't exactly mean i'd go out of my way to boo him but hearing cheers from cats fans would make me sick.
if he wanted a warm send off to his career at the cats he would've/should've stayed.

As far as i'm concerned you cant have your cake and eat it too.

John Harms once wrote a remarkable piece praising the nature of Geelong supporters (it is inherently biased, as he is one of us).

This thread has only reinforced to me why this club does seem to attract the sort of people I truly relate to and respect. It is a privilege to share a common passion with you lot.

No way would I boo Gaz. It's the AFL's fault he left, no rationale person could have turned away from the money he was being offered. I sincerely doubt he really wanted to leave his mates.

I hope our supporters dont boo.

I won't be booing but I will cheer when kel lays that first bone crunching tackle

No way would I boo Gaz. It's the AFL's fault he left, no rationale person could have turned away from the money he was being offered. I sincerely doubt he really wanted to leave his mates.

I hope our supporters dont boo.
plenty of rationale people did ala buddy

your argument is full of crapola as they approached a number of high quality players and the only one that jumped was judlett. He approached them, so he didn't care about his mates. Deal in facts not your perception of what this cream puff is about

I would have thought indifferent silence would have more of an impact on someone like Gary.

Bingo.

That and not being able to sing an incredibly familiar club song after we've won the game.

Hatred only validates the actions of the hated, but indifference is a statement that they are so insignificant, so utterly irrelevant that they mean nothing. It's a far far more powerful emotional state.

I loved Gaz passionately when he was with us - as one does one's own kin - but I could not care less what he does now that he's not.

Im not going to go there with a preconceived action. I rarely boo or do that sort of thing anyway. Booing Colbert only made him play better. My hope is we give them the GC a bath and make them all hate the cold climate of KP

Yep! Although, as I mentioned elsewhere in this thread, I wouldn't mind if someone split him up the middle so his return to KP in the red will be forever imprinted on his brain. Could we somehow get Maxie back into the team for one last time?;):)

it would be only silly immature ppl that would boo him. He is still a great player from our club and deserves to be respected. I hope he has a great game cos he is in that league of Judd, where you can just marvel at his skill even though you don't support the team he plays for.

I would have thought indifferent silence would have more of an impact on someone like Gary.
Exactly. If Cats fans boo him, it's also giving the AFL and the media what they want - evidence of some manufactured "rivalry".

I won't boo him, couldn't be bothered ... unless he does something like decking one of our lads behind play, but that would be very unlike him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unfortunately, I wont be down at KP this weekend so what I write is irrelevant, but for the record I'm with the indifferent silence respondents. Booing would mean we're hurting without him - and clearly we aren't. Cheering would be sycophantic, and mean we forgive his attitude toward us and want him back (like an unfaithful lover), and we don't want (or need) that.

What I would like is to beat this weekends scoreline, and for Linga to do to Ablett what he did to Moloney.

Unfortunately, I wont be down at KP this weekend so what I write is irrelevant, but for the record I'm with the indifferent silence respondents. Booing would mean we're hurting without him - and clearly we aren't. Cheering would be sycophantic, and mean we forgive his attitude toward us and want him back (like an unfaithful lover), and we don't want (or need) that.

What I would like is to beat this weekends scoreline, and for Linga to do to Ablett what he did to Moloney.

A balanced and nicely put post.:thumbsu:

As a LOYAL cats member for the past 25 years, you betcha i'll be booing.
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I won't be there. So my iPad will be copping most of the spit.....I hold a grudge like an elephant :eek: However it pleases me that most of you are far more mature than me. Someone has to be :D

Re: will you be booing garry ablett at skilled stadium?

yeah, lets just give him a standing ovation for walking out, i agree

there are 3 more professional and richer clubs out there then us, collingwood essendon and carlton, and not a single one of them would do anything but slam the door in the players face and let him know his scum if they did this to the club

THIS is what makes us better than them.

I'll honestly be ashamed of any Geelong supporter who boos.

Think about what everything the Abletts have done not only for GFC, but for the city of Geelong. It/they have helped it live and breathe at times, esp in the 80s and early 90s. A lot of you wouldn't know/remember that.

Yes, the Abletts have done well out of footy, but I think a town/city's wellbeing outweighs a couple of individual's pockets. For crying out loud, they're grown men and entitled to do what they want.

Have a look at yourselves.

Re: will you be booing garry ablett at skilled stadium?

I will be booing absolutely. Yes he was great for our club, but he is an opposition player now who don't forget decided to leave us BEFORE the 2010 season and proceeded to lie to us for an entire year about if he was leaving or not. He will be booed like many great players are. Deal with it everyone if you dont want to boo dont but dont begrudge those that do they have every right to.

I think most there will be unsure how they should respond and there will be an awkward silence when Ablett gets his first touch and everyone is looking around waiting for someone to set the tone.

I wouldn't boo, I wouldn't cheer either.

The guy no longer means anything to me.

I think we need to pick Guthrie this week and get the Addy to print up a bunch of 'GO #29' signs to hold up as we cheer his every touch.

Time heals most wounds. I jokingly booed him up at Metricon for the first few touches earlier in the year but won't even bother this weekend - will be too busy watching on in awe as we get our percentage closer to the Pies again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back