Review Winners and Losers of the draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Without really knowing all the players I heard a bit on radio what some of so called experts said.
My sense is St.Kilda and Carlton have done very well.
I think Essendon and North done well too was my impression from radio.

It is interesting we took two players that only turn 18 very late in year so they were close to being part of next years draftees so they probably less developed than most draftees but the upside to young McKay and Silvagni sounds enormous. What Michael Turner said of of Curnow excites me.
He also reckons Mathieson is way better than where he got taken so whomever got him, got a steal.

Fairly interesting draft with KPF and the speed attribute highly valued. Midfielders seemed very middling/week depth wise and after pick 15 in the draft it seemed a bit of a lottery and down to clubs preferences, also seemed that some of these slid a bit based on being outside or queries over kicking.

Purely based on needs

Winners - Brisbane KPP, Carlton KPP and added some speed & WBD for there call on the 2 for 1 trade gaining an inside mid and a tall

Losers - Freo for lack KPP (not that they could do much about it the way the draft went) and Gold Coast and Tigers for overpaying on small forwards even if a need

Well supposedly Doedee is the best one on one defender in the draft..... so says Geelong falcon's coach. Who knows maybe he's the next pendelbury or fyfe maybe he's a dud we'll have to wait and see. Our board went into complete meltdown a whole page of just who??? Wtf??? Tom whodee? Wait what???

Don't think we will be viewed as a winner.

p.s. If you're in the "we can't know the winners and losers until they have played" brigade then just don't post. Everyone knows the context in which the discussion is taking place.
I'm not sure why?

We picked players we were tipped to take if available, which in some cases had been rated higher than where they went. Cole and Partington are great, but just like previous years WC fans are complaining.

Way too early to call, but I'd say Gold Coast should be considered 'losers' on face value. Poor selections/overreaching for players.

agreed! why do tey pick such flashy types. an most of there picks have go home factor...

i'll throw in freo aswell Collins is muh,yarran risky..
like norths draft but got the best out of there picks value imo

Just what i'm hearing on the Carlton board. Not liked much by his team-mates, and is just a little odd. Big on the sledging as well.
And I believe he was odd in the way he conducted himself at the interviews.
just a little odd, give him a break. why do people in general like to judge others so harshly if they don't conform to their views of what normal is. diversity in character between people/players is a great thing. how often do we hear people say there are no characters in the game anymore. also in a group of approx. 40 players on a list not everyone will get on really well, as long as their is respect for the way they go about their footy. welcome to the lions rhys:thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People were saying the same thing after their 2010 draft.
Watson and McCarthy in the same draft.
There was their backline for the next ten years.
Luke Mitchell had played well at TAC Cup level and was a promising gorilla forward.
Unfortunately it never transpired.

McCarthy and Mitchell were always injured.

Hardly played any VFL games - their development from age 18-20 didn't happen. We were unlucky.

Drafted first forward line since Fevola left the club so I am happy how it all panned out. Now just need to watch them develop in VFL for 12 months.

Northern Blues will get decent crowds I am guessing

GWS, Brisbane, Carlton and Essendon would be happy as Larry. (Was hoping we might grab Eades, happy he gets his chance, Essendon seems a good fit.)

Freo, the Hawks and Port would all be really happy with the players still available at their respective picks, the Bullies' shift worked out very well for them.

Melbourne did well to grab Weideman with their second pick, in terms of Oliver, there is risk in comparison to Parish, but plenty of upside.

Adelaide, the Suns, Tigers and ourselves with some (for me) unexpected selections. Always interesting when one club's recruiters break away from the herd.

Reckon it's great for blokes like Hartley, Brown, Menegola, Yarran to be given a crack as mature agers, as well as Marcus Adams (hadn't heard of him) :thumbsu:

We addressed our small forward issue and lack of speed that was very evident in the EF as all three of our recruits are quick. Did we choose athletes over footballers with our last two picks that we used? Don't know right now, but I guess we will have to wait and see.

Overall I am content with our selections right now

The Lions should be well pleased with their three KP players (Schache, Hipwood and Skinner) and two inside midfielders (Keays and Mathieson). When combined with their trade pick ups of Bell, Bastinac, Jansen and Walker, the Club has had a good 2015 off-season.

just a little odd, give him a break. why do people in general like to judge others so harshly if they don't conform to their views of what normal is. diversity in character between people/players is a great thing. how often do we hear people say there are no characters in the game anymore. also in a group of approx. 40 players on a list not everyone will get on really well, as long as their is respect for the way they go about their footy. welcome to the lions rhys:thumbsu:
I'm just passing on what I heard.

I just don't get how people think Freo did well?

You can draft the best kids in the world but if they don't fit needs then how did you do well.

I mean if you take their 3 ruckman out they have only 7 on their list over 190cm. Only three of those are KPF's, one is about to retire and the other two have shown a little but not nearly enough to be walk up replacements. Out of their 4 KPD's only two have any size about them.

With all that they draft one KPD???

And people are saying they did well with their picks, or best available....well there were KPP available when they had all their picks and yet Ross Lyon seems to only want KPF's of the quality of NRoo??
Are they banking their entire next 10 odd years on getting one of McArthy or Hogan???

Personally with the picks they had I think Essendon were winners of this draft. Quality and ready made guys. They still need some more midfield talent but it's alot easier to find than quality KPP'd.

Yeah, McKay and SOSOS bottom-aged so both potentially inspired picks. One thing is for sure, you never really know - if any end up being as good as Cripps at #13 then I'll be extremely happy!

Don't forget that Weitering has only just turned 18 too. We have some YOUNG kids coming in this year ....

North did very well. First day winners IMO. Brisbane not far behind.

Not sure why Fremantle dont pick KPP or why the Suns always pick skinny flankers.

Tom Doedee will either be a 2 time Brownlow winning captain or he will be delisted in 2 years with less than 10 games to his name.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Winners and Losers of the draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back