Review Winners? Losers?

Remove this Banner Ad

Gold Coast are the losers lost 2 1st round players got 2 first round picks to go to the lottery.
If Cochrane wasnt being a bitch, he could have extracted some of what St Kilda got and on traded, to improve his club, instead of improve his media coverage and massage his ego.
Also set up a precedent that will see players agents putting anti Cochrane clauses in their contracts

We've guaranteed them both longer careers by allowing them to leave....Neither had anything more to prove at this club.

You sound more upset about them leaving than me.

I've seen the end of Scott, Matthews & Knights careers....Life moves on & so does the club....It's time to give our kids a crack at it.
Why would I be upset about you offloading SMitch and Lewis a year before you had to? As you said, Hodge, Burgoyne and Gibson will retire at the end of next year so I see no value in offloading Sam and Jordan before then. Have one more real crack in 2017 before reloading.

Wouldn't have affected your ability to trade in JOM, Vickery or Mitchell.

Those guys would have come in for your first this year, your first next year, Hill and a second rounder.

Gold Coast are the losers lost 2 1st round players got 2 first round picks to go to the lottery.
If Cochrane wasnt being a bitch, he could have extracted some of what St Kilda got and on traded, to improve his club, instead of improve his media coverage and massage his ego.
Also set up a precedent that will see players agents putting anti Cochrane clauses in their contracts
Those players were always going... Did pretty well considering I would have thought.

Those players were always going... Did pretty well considering I would have thought.
Exactly they were always going and you knew well in advance to who and you could have done much better if you concentrated on trading and not attention whoring by your president

Last edited:
Why would I be upset about you offloading SMitch and Lewis a year before you had to? As you said, Hodge, Burgoyne and Gibson will retire at the end of next year so I see no value in offloading Sam and Jordan before then. Have one more real crack in 2017 before reloading.

Wouldn't have affected your ability to trade in JOM, Vickery or Mitchell.

Those guys would have come in for your first this year, your first next year, Hill and a second rounder.
The games changed, the flick pass is legal, no use having bigger slower bodies concentrating on tackling, when the umpire allows the the guy getting tackled to drop the ball or throw it.
You are left flat footed as the ball leaves the scene real fast
Time to get rid of the old slower big bodied mids from the past game style to make room for new ones.
Salary cap gets pumped back in to front load contracts
We get to see what pieces of the puzzle are needed.
and pounce next year .
Its a pretty pointless exercise keeping your crap picks in the hope that you try and pick up guns, in the deluded belief you can remain competitive with GWS.
As they continue to clean up at the draft, with lots of first rounders and use their crap picks for academy super stars.

The games changed, the flick pass is legal, no use having bigger slower bodies concentrating on tackling, when the umpire allows the the guy getting tackled to drop the ball or throw it.
You are left flat footed as the ball leaves the scene real fast
Time to get rid of the old slower big bodied mids from the past game style to make room for new ones.
Salary cap gets pumped back in to front load contracts
We get to see what pieces of the puzzle are needed.
and pounce next year .
Its a pretty pointless exercise keeping your crap picks in the hope that you try and pick up guns, in the deluded belief you can remain competitive with GWS, as they continue to clean up at the draft, with lots of first rounders and use their crap picks for academy super stars.
Spose you think the Demons are chumps for signing Lewis for three years then?

Exactly they were always going and you knew well in advance to who and you could have done much better if you concentrated on trading and not attention whoring by your president
We did pretty well out of the Richmond deal for Prestia. Hawks deal in the end, we only ended up losing a 2nd round pick out of it, since the offer to the Saints was 1 First and 2 Seconds.

Traded in for someone that is actually passionate about our club and gives a damn about how it performs.

We did pretty well out of the Richmond deal for Prestia. Hawks deal in the end, we only ended up losing a 2nd round pick out of it, since the offer to the Saints was 1 First and 2 Seconds.

Traded in for someone that is actually passionate about our club and gives a damn about how it performs.
if you got the Saints action you could have worked it through the system for a better outcome.
In the end Cochrane damaged your brand, he made a fool of himself and made it harder for your club to do deals in the future.

Its a pretty pointless exercise keeping your crap picks in the hope that you try and pick up guns, in the deluded belief you can remain competitive with GWS.
That strategy didn't hurt us at all, and we did it right through the period of compromised drafts. Most of our 22 on GF day were 2nd round picks or worse, and only 3 were traded in.

That strategy didn't hurt us at all, and we did it right through the period of compromised drafts. Most of our 22 on GF day were 2nd round picks or worse, and only 3 were traded in.
Its all about timing.
They hadn't peaked yet and yet their conveyor belt of first rounders and academy picks keeps turning.
Playing catchup in the draft is going to be virtually impossible.
Only salary cap and homesickness can slow them down

if you got the Saints action you could have worked it through the system for a better outcome.
In the end Cochrane damaged your brand, he made a fool of himself and made it harder for your club to do deals in the future.
I honestly don't think he damaged our brand at all. We need someone on the GC representing us that isn't just going to lie down, and let the club be an U/23 development squad for the rest of the AFL.

However, agree to disagree :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You'd be wrong then Rod, again. Players don't get to stay in triple premiership sides if they are average. Surely you have some basic common sense?

And there were plenty of industry rumours of clubs chasing Hill and McCarthy, including West Coast. Perhaps you need to do better research before mouthing off?

"We've made it pretty clear to both Hawthorn and West Coast that Bradley has said that his preference is to come back and play at Fremantle," he said.

"We've been open with our communication with West Coast. We had exploratory talks to begin with to let them know what we were planning to do with Bradley at their request. They had asked about Bradley."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-10-05/freo-likely-to-wait-before-sealing-brad-hill-trade

"McCarthy, who had sought a trade to Fremantle last year and has stayed back in Perth to deal with life issues, is also of interest to the Eagles, who see McCarthy as a potential third marking forward to support Josh Kennedy and Jack Darling."

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/wes...d/news-story/f3fbd4f3a11c9b413bc27aa9ce171e21
There is a reason Hill is known across the industry as "the worst triple premiership player in history". It's because he's the worst triple premiership player in history.

And he was only ever going to Freo to play with his brother. WC knew that but probably only inquired about him to jack up the price that Freo would have to pay for him.

There is a reason Hill is known across the industry as "the worst triple premiership player in history". It's because he's the worst triple premiership player in history.
You should probably try out for a career in football journalism. I mean if Robbo and Hagdorn can get away with this sort of thing, you might make a pretty penny doing the same.

Even if your statement is an utterance of fact, it actually puts Brad hill in some fairly reasonable company. Being the lowest member in a list of good players does not make one a bad player, it merely makes him the lowest in a list of good players. So your logic, if you prefer to call it that, is a little faulty.

Given Hawthorn's list of triple premiership players in the last ten years alone (Roughhead, Lewis, Mitchell, Hodge, Gibson, Burgoyne, Birchall, Lake, Gunston, Hale, Breust, Rioli, Stratton, Puopolo, Shiels... forgive me if I missed anyone) - that's some fine company to be in. Being (debatedly) the least of that list is hardly an indictment of his ability now, is it.

You should probably try out for a career in football journalism. I mean if Robbo and Hagdorn can get away with this sort of thing, you might make a pretty penny doing the same.

Even if your statement is an utterance of fact, it actually puts Brad hill in some fairly reasonable company. Being the lowest member in a list of good players does not make one a bad player, it merely makes him the lowest in a list of good players. So your logic, if you prefer to call it that, is a little faulty.

Given Hawthorn's list of triple premiership players in the last ten years alone (Roughhead, Lewis, Mitchell, Hodge, Gibson, Burgoyne, Birchall, Lake, Gunston, Hale, Breust, Rioli, Stratton, Puopolo, Shiels... forgive me if I missed anyone) - that's some fine company to be in. Being (debatedly) the least of that list is hardly an indictment of his ability now, is it.

You forgot Isaac Smith.

But there's quite a few more to choose from, in our club history alone: 40 all up, in fact.

Speaking of trades if FREO trade in Harvey after just missing finals with horror injury run what s the thought process regarding his replacement; who seems to have got away with an ordinary coaching effort this season without a critic, injuries werent a factor early. Anyone else would have been accused of tanking ;cant tell me they gave it their best shot

Let's see how he goes when he's not surrounded by a list of good players.

Speaking of trades if FREO trade in Harvey after just missing finals with horror injury run what s the thought process regarding his replacement; who seems to have got away with an ordinary coaching effort this season without a critic, injuries werent a factor early. Anyone else would have been accused of tanking ;cant tell me they gave it their best shot
Ross is one of the untouchables. His team went from minor premier to easy beats. At worst it should have been a finish just outside the 8. That just shouldn't happen. Very dodgy.

Because everyone at the club knew harvey as a coach was a nut bag. Why don't you let him do your mob. It would be an improvement on hird

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Winners? Losers?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back