Society/Culture Woke. Can you tell real from parody? - Part 2 -

Remove this Banner Ad

View attachment 2066215
Fantastic news! Last thing we want is the best people for the job. Let’s make sure all colours genders and races are tokenly represented
This story is several days old, was wondering which pearl-clutcher would bring it in here, congratulations.

Think it's fair to say anyone looking at BT, Joel Selwood, Tim Watson and co and thinking we've had a policy of best person for the job is a bit 'weird'.

This story is several days old, was wondering which pearl-clutcher would bring it in here, congratulations.

Think it's fair to say anyone looking at BT, Joel Selwood, Tim Watson and co and thinking we've had a policy of best person for the job is a bit 'weird'.
I simply don’t believe it filling diversity quotas. It’s a laughable proposition that’s inherently racist and sexist

I simply don’t believe it filling diversity quotas. It’s a laughable proposition that’s inherently racist and sexist
Despite the evidence that diversity increases productivity in business because a variety of views and opinions is healthy and promotes innovation? When the facts change, my opinions change, but you do you, I guess.

Also, clearly no problems with white males keeping other demographics out for most of the last century, which suppresses involvement from diverse demographics down the line. But keep playing the victim that everyone else is being racist and sexist against white people.

Where did it mention quotas? This is as much about providing pathways for people from other backgrounds to get involved in the AFL than it is immediately providing a more diverse onscreen commentary team.

It said I cannot be “All white males”

There is a quota for “non white males”
Across world cricket commentary has improved no end since the idea that you had to be public schools/Oxbridge or an ex Test cricketer to do the job has disappeared. The game improves too when you have commentators with a greater diversity of opinions and ideas, and who are far more willing to challenge an establishment that they owe little to.

It said I cannot be “All white males”

There is a quota for “non white males”
Do you think having 'all white males' would mean you would have the best? If not then there's nothing to see here.

Across world cricket commentary has improved no end since the idea that you had to be public schools/Oxbridge or an ex Test cricketer to do the job has disappeared. The game improves too when you have commentators with a greater diversity of opinions and ideas, and who are far more willing to challenge an establishment that they owe little to.
It's also significantly better when you have a bowler in the box. A person who can explain how bowling works and what the bowler is doing, as opposed to having half a dozen bats sagely saying 'wobble seam' 100 times an hour.

It's still rather shithouse.

What a long way we've come, from being expected to embody and take pride in our jobs and ourselves; to find identity through work. Used to be an elitist thing, 'Cobbler, mind your shoes!'

Used to be something you didn't do or say in Australia. Used to be that it'd not pass the pub test; a sign of your mate getting uppity, forgetting that he was just as working class as you are. Just because you went to uni and are no longer down the bottom doesn't mean your shit don't stink.

I'm going to put it this way. That post, that inclination: it's unAustralian.
You're one of the last posters I'd expect to use the term unAustralian! I know it's in jest, but still. Wow.

There's a bit of "back in my day" about your post that doesn't resonate with me. I don't know how old you are, but back in my day - we had shitty managers with no people skills who screamed at employees, lack of safety protocols or little enforcement of them, and loyalty towards employers.

The average workplace is a lot better now. Management that lack people skills have been slowly weeded out, you go to HR if your boss treats you like shit and maybe they'll actually listen, safety is important. All you have to do is shut your mouth and play the game, and life is easy.

I'll take that over the good ole days!

And if that means making cakes for gays or laminating pictures for Jews, we're no worse off.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You can move on commentators without diversity requirements.
I'm not always a fan of diversity quotas, but AFL commentary has a sameness to it; that sameness is white middle age blokey type pub talk rather than intelligent commentary.

The networks seem fine enough with it, so a little pressure to break things up is good.

If you repace Darce, Dwayne, JB and BT with some women and coloured people, you'd likely see improvement in the quality of commentary.

I'm not always a fan of diversity quotas, but AFL commentary has a sameness to it; that sameness is white middle age blokey type pub talk rather than intelligent commentary.

The networks seem fine enough with it, so a little pressure to break things up is good.

If you repace Darce, Dwayne, JB and BT with some women and coloured people, you'd likely see improvement in the quality of commentary.
All this can be done without diversity quotas.

Kelli Underwood is possibly the worst commentator in the game but likely they can’t find a play by play replacement… she’s now gifted a job she shouldn’t have with many better options that could take over.

View attachment 2066215
Fantastic news! Last thing we want is the best people for the job. Let’s make sure all colours genders and races are tokenly represented
Endless complaints about commentary. A suggestion is made to change things up...

dare GIF

You can move people on with having diversity requirements lol.

Underwood should be the first gone but now she is guaranteed a job for the foreseeable future.
There must be some decent women commentators in the women's AFL. We've had plenty of first nations players, some Arabs, Asians, etc.

The current commentary teams aren't a reflection of the best. While I can't prove it, they've got a 'jobs for the boys' vibe.

Remove this Banner Ad

Society/Culture Woke. Can you tell real from parody? - Part 2 -

Remove this Banner Ad

Back