Socceroos World Cup Qualifiers Socceroos V China/Japan

Remove this Banner Ad

I get that, but I reckon we lean way too heavily into the scrappy mentality. I personally would rather see us lose and show we are on the road to playing a level of football that might win something one day.

This is idiotic rubbish that takes results for granted, and dare I suggest must come from someone too young to remember when we didn't qualify for shit.

Yeah nah this moral victory bullshit can **** off along with Bazball.

Go support England if that's what you want, reminder that we have more trophies than them in the last 50 years.
Bit of an overreaction there mate. Idgaf about England and I don’t see why you’d bring up cricket in this conversation.

Did you watch the game? We were shithouse. If that’s the way we’re going about our football we’re basically conceding we’re happy to be a 30-50 ranked side. What’s the point?

Bit of an overreaction there mate. Idgaf about England and I don’t see why you’d bring up cricket in this conversation.

Did you watch the game? We were shithouse. If that’s the way we’re going about our football we’re basically conceding we’re happy to be a 30-50 ranked side. What’s the point?
The point is to qualify for World Cups. You think it’s easy to just play Japan off the park in Japan? No we went there to get a result and we did mission accomplished.

This is idiotic rubbish that takes results for granted, and dare I suggest must come from someone too young to remember when we didn't qualify for shit.
I’ll tell you what’s idiotic - the idea that tonight’s result was anything other than pure ass. I’m old enough to remember being roughly equal to Japan as a side - only the most demented homeboy would make that claim now.

I get that, but I reckon we lean way too heavily into the scrappy mentality. I personally would rather see us lose and show we are on the road to playing a level of football that might win something one day.
In Asia? Not a chance

It’s a scrappy horrific region. The Arabs can never let you play attacking.

Japan and Korea struggle against these types.

Results are so important

Superb defensive performance. Kept Japan to wide areas mostly. They sent in quite a few crosses from Mitoma & co but that's exactly what we wanted and they were all mopped up with relative ease.

Luongo would be a boost against them at home. Bos(s) another really good game, surely not far off a step up to the likes of Bundesliga, Serue A etc.

We gotta lock Robbo down with FIFA and we're set in mid.

If we qualify I like the look of a Bos/Circati/Souttar/Miller back 4 with Gauci commanding them.

We just need a prolific striker.

Superb defensive performance. Kept Japan to wide areas mostly. They sent in quite a few crosses from Mitoma & co but that's exactly what we wanted and they were all mopped up with relative ease.

Luongo would be a boost against them at home. Bos(s) another really good game, surely not far off a step up to the likes of Bundesliga, Serue A etc.

If we qualify I like the look of a Bos/Circati/Souttar/Miller back 4 with Gauci commanding them.

Easier said than done, weve never really had a real prolific striker.

Our final 3rd has been the issue for 15 years, we just dont produce class goal scorers...

We've pretty much always had good defenders, work horse midfielders, the odd quick winger, always good GK. But for some reason never any class up front, no idea how you that multi generational issue though

Would have liked Kuol to go on with it. He was direct, rapid, and could score, Doesn't look like the european move has helped development there which is another issue. Young players going overseas to ride the bench!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our final 3rd has been the issue for 15 years, we just dont produce class goal scorers...

We've pretty much always had good defenders, work horse midfielders, the odd quick winger, always good GK. But for some reason never any class up front, no idea how you that multi generational issue though

Would have liked Kuol to go on with it. He was direct, rapid, and could score, Doesn't look like the european move has helped development there which is another issue. Young players going overseas to ride the bench!

It is a conundrum looking forward to 2026.

I can see us lining up like this in 2 years time:

--------------Gauci-----------------

Miller-------Circati-----Souttar-------Bos

--Robertson------O'neill------Metcalfe

----McGree--------Yengi---------Irankunda

Squad options of

Glover

King
Rowes
Burgess
Deng
Atkinson
Baccus
Yazbek
Hrujstic
Devlin
Goodwin
Silvera
Stama
Kuol

Irvine, Lungo & Goodwin while key starters now are going to be 33-35 for 2026. I doubt Luongo will still be going at 34. Irvine & Goodwin possibly as squad members.

Obviously a question mark over whether we can convince or force the issue with Volpato. If we could lock him down he would take McGree's place in the lineup. I have confidence in another 2 years time Irankunda will be starting regularly at a high level.

CF options at this stage seem to be Kuol, Yengi & Stamatelopolous. Out of those 3 Yengi seems the one with the greatest potential. Can you think of any other candidates?

Cumdog could have been an option (30 when WC 2026 comes along) but he ruined his international career by joining the Indian league. Guys like Duke, Maclaren, Taggart, Boyle etc are all going to be 33-35 and too old to be our starting CF. I would expect perhaps Boyle and one of these make the squad as backups. Probably def not Dukey as he'll be hitting 35 in 2 years time.

Volpato won't play for us

At this stage, no.

We do have the right to call him up though and if he refuses we can have him suspended from club football for 2 weeks. Obviously we are not going to go down that path yet as it is unlikely he'll play for Italy but it is an option.

At this stage, no.

We do have the right to call him up though and if he refuses we can have him suspended from club football for 2 weeks. Obviously we are not going to go down that path yet as it is unlikely he'll play for Italy but it is an option.
You do have to wonder whether a chance to go to the WC is a better bet than the large likelihood of never playing for Italy but wanting to.

It's not like he hates the country, he just has higher ambition

You do have to wonder whether a chance to go to the WC is a better bet than the large likelihood of never playing for Italy but wanting to.

A lot of it seems agent driven.

World Cup 2026 dangling in front of him will be a carat difficult to resist.

It is a conundrum looking forward to 2026.

I can see us lining up like this in 2 years time:

--------------Gauci-----------------

Miller-------Circati-----Souttar-------Bos

--Robertson------O'neill------Metcalfe

----McGree--------Yengi---------Irankunda

Squad options of

Glover

King
Rowes
Burgess
Deng
Atkinson
Baccus
Yazbek
Hrujstic
Devlin
Goodwin
Silvera
Stama
Kuol

Irvine, Lungo & Goodwin while key starters now are going to be 33-35 for 2026. I doubt Luongo will still be going at 34. Irvine & Goodwin possibly as squad members.

Obviously a question mark over whether we can convince or force the issue with Volpato. If we could lock him down he would take McGree's place in the lineup. I have confidence in another 2 years time Irankunda will be starting regularly at a high level.

CF options at this stage seem to be Kuol, Yengi & Stamatelopolous. Out of those 3 Yengi seems the one with the greatest potential. Can you think of any other candidates?

Cumdog could have been an option (30 when WC 2026 comes along) but he ruined his international career by joining the Indian league. Guys like Duke, Maclaren, Taggart, Boyle etc are all going to be 33-35 and too old to be our starting CF. I would expect perhaps Boyle and one of these make the squad as backups. Probably def not Dukey as he'll be hitting 35 in 2 years time.
I think from what we know you've nailed it but there's always bolters. Someone will score goals or look the goods for a callup between now and then

Duke should be out of the squad now. Need to look ahead and he offers very little anyway

I think from what we know you've nailed it but there's always bolters. Someone will score goals or look the goods for a callup between now and then

Duke should be out of the squad now. Need to look ahead and he offers very little anyway

Definitely. Been a great servant of the Socceroos but the reality is he won't be playing at USA 2026 at the age of 35 so I really don't see why he gets a gig these days.

Obviously Yengi was N/A this window due to injury but surely one of Boyle, Stama, Iredale or even Borrello when he is fit & firing would be the go to CF's in Yungi's absence.

He turned down the chance to go to one WC already.
We were gonna pick him for the last WC with Italy not qualifying.
He also (seemingly) mocked us not qualifying directly for the same WC on Instagram.

He also (seemingly) mocked us not qualifying directly for the same WC on Instagram.
And yet he jumped on board once we got there.

Time is running out for him, back then Italy were sniffing around.... now not so much

We didn't pick him as he wasn't going to be playing much of a role apart from off the bench. If he was picked he would have to play.

Remove this Banner Ad

Socceroos World Cup Qualifiers Socceroos V China/Japan

Remove this Banner Ad

Back