World Cup Semi Final 2 Thursday July 11; England v Australia @ Edgbaston

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

He wouldn't have walked if he hit it and given not out, which i'm sure would've happened to him before. Can't have it both ways. Up to the umpire to make the decision and you run with it. You call it clutching at straws, we call it stiff s**t.
It's the Australian win at all costs mentality. That umpire is borderline incompetent but fits the PC way of spreading responsibility around the third world. First time I walked in Australia, I had guys saying, "thanks mate for walking". Just great to see an England side with four Yorkshiremen in it. For the numpties here complaining about overseas players, Rashid is born and bred in Bradford, 10 miles from Headingley, the scene of England's greatest ever win against Australia.

Overachieved this world cup all things considered. I don't think we ever had the complete squad to go all the way.

For most of the tournament, we have relied upon 4 players to win us games. Warner and Finch up the top to score runs, Carey down the order on the batting side. That's accompanied with a contribution from Smith/Khawaja chipped in every now and then. Maxwell and Stoinis made no real contributions of significance in the middle order, was hoping that they'd come good as the cup progressed but clearly that never eventuated.

In bowling it was Starc who was our only matchwinner and even he is inconsistent in his capacity to take wickets. Behrendorff was effective when he got the new ball to swing but his threat would be dependent on conditions. Cummins was disappointing during the tournament as he never fired a shot as a wicket-taker. Lyon is a roleplayer in white-ball cricket; can be useful when others in the attack are performing well but isn't one to turn the game in your favour. Zampa, Stoinis and NCN were ineffectual when they bowled which shows our lack of depth.

Compare that to England who with Roy in the side have no obvious batting weakness within their top 7. Dangerous new ball bowlers, good death bowling and a spinner who takes wickets in the middle order. They're just better at the moment.

Still hope the Kiwis can deny them in the final though.

Yeah the final should be a cracker.

* Both sides shooting for their first win in a World Cup, so they'll both be doing everything humanly possible to win.
* England with the weight of a home nation on their shoulders.
* NZ wanting to go one better than 2015.

Logic suggests that the Poms should win, but these Kiwis showed against India that, if you take them lightly, they can embarrass you.

I can't believe the Poms have never won the Cricket World Cup before, that's hilarious - what a bunch of duds :D

**** I hope the Kiwis roll them!!

This game was truly lost at selection.

Put Wade in instead of Handscombe, and say he makes 50, it completely changes the complexion of the match; even more so if Head (?) plays instead of Stoin, and makes a solid contribution himself.

As soon as the lineup was announced, my group of mates were saying how thin our batting line up looked, and how reliant we'd be on Warner/Smith/Finch to do all of the heavy lifting.

I was disapointed that even when the replay came up on the screen of Roy clearly missing the ball Australia didnt withdraw their appeal and call him back . Isnt this side trying to change its win at all cost mentality " Elite Honesty " . Yes Roy lost 30% and 2 demerit points but Australia could have raised their reputation if they called him back .

Hahaha, get stuffed!!

Roy is lucky this is the final - he should be suspended for that tantrum.

Glad he's not, because it'd be a brutal punishment, but he deserves to be.

Overachieved this world cup all things considered. I don't think we ever had the complete squad to go all the way.

For most of the tournament, we have relied upon 4 players to win us games. Warner and Finch up the top to score runs, Carey down the order on the batting side. That's accompanied with a contribution from Smith/Khawaja chipped in every now and then. Maxwell and Stoinis made no real contributions of significance in the middle order, was hoping that they'd come good as the cup progressed but clearly that never eventuated.

In bowling it was Starc who was our only matchwinner and even he is inconsistent in his capacity to take wickets. Behrendorff was effective when he got the new ball to swing but his threat would be dependent on conditions. Cummins was disappointing during the tournament as he never fired a shot as a wicket-taker. Lyon is a roleplayer in white-ball cricket; can be useful when others in the attack are performing well but isn't one to turn the game in your favour. Zampa, Stoinis and NCN were ineffectual when they bowled which shows our lack of depth.

Compare that to England who with Roy in the side have no obvious batting weakness within their top 7. Dangerous new ball bowlers, good death bowling and a spinner who takes wickets in the middle order. They're just better at the moment.

Still hope the Kiwis can deny them in the final though.
Good summary this.

Twice you rebutted people claiming England were the superior side based off a single victory at Lords.
Now, you're just being obtuse. In this tournament, yes, until last night. Superior on the day, but not 17 days ago, eh? ;)
One thing is for sure, there is absolutely no point in engaging with someone who openly admits to their Aussie bias.
So, you're as pompous as you are intolerant :). Never mind.
In all other facets of my life I am (or try consciously to be) totally objective, which even my sister finds infuriating eg when we watch the Crows. 5 minutes into the first quarter and the Oppo gets a goal, she screams at the TV. I say "It's ok, sis, long way to go" and she hates that. Also, I get why.
But when it comes to Cricket, especially vs England, I am Aussie down to every molecule in my body and definitely have an Aussie bias.
I loathe Joe Root. But he's a gifted batsman, no question.
I despise Stokes, like Freddie and Botham before him. Too much talent in one Pommie body, but jeez they are/were all exceptional.
Got nothing against Archer at all, wonderful athlete, terrific bowler ... except ... I can't help it ... he plays for England *shudder gag*.

Get it, now?

Lol @ labelling Archer the next Anderson. I could be proven wrong but Archer strikes me as the type that will be feasted on when it comes to the Ashes - completely different game.

England were the better team for the last 4 years and were deserving winners overnight. They deserve to win the tournament - but gee I hope the sheep shaggers give them a massive rodgering.

He averages 23 and has a strike rate of 45 in first class cricket.

I think he probably just squeezes in the criteria as being worth a look in.

F***ed if I know where I said he was the next anderson. I’ve looked, but I can’t see it.

The whole argument after they got f***ed up in Australia two years ago was that they had no one fast. Suddenly they have a bowler who not only ambles in and flings it down at near 150, he takes wickets rapidly and regularly - and it’s somehow going to be a bad thing?

This game was truly lost at selection.

Put Wade in instead of Handscombe, and say he makes 50, it completely changes the complexion of the match; even more so if Head (?) plays instead of Stoin, and makes a solid contribution himself
They were on track to score 400 mate

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just to be clear;

Lost at selection.

Does not mean different selections would've resulted in us winning - but they we handicapped ourselves severely, before the match even started.

Would we have win with a better selection effort?

No idea, but we would've given ourselves a much better chance if 3 of our middle order weren't unreliable.

2) Last 18 months, give or take? Most definitely.
In this tournament? We beat each other, once. That's on par. We had more wins than them, but it's of no consequence. They won the one that matters, so the fact they made it to the Final and we didn't makes them the better side.
3) Again, in this tournament, yes. Not over the last 18 months, clearly. Warner (647 runs) + Finch (507) scored more than Bairstow (496) and Roy (426). Starc and Cummins took more wickets than Archer/Wood (41-36) but not a huge difference, really.
My Aussie bias wins, there. ;)

When comparing sides, you could say, what Aussies would get a game for England right now?

I would say Starc would be the only one.

Roy beats Warner mainly because of his strike rate.
Warners is 89 to Roy's 117.
Finch and Bairstow are fitty fitty.
Root easily beats Smith.
Archer beats Cummins and
Dorf and Wood are about fitty fitty as well.

Is there a chance that Roy didn't know that there were no reviews left, and went off because he was shocked at being denied one? Has he said anything like that today?

Now, you're just being obtuse. In this tournament, yes, until last night. Superior on the day, but not 17 days ago, eh? ;)

So, you're as pompous as you are intolerant :). Never mind.
In all other facets of my life I am (or try consciously to be) totally objective, which even my sister finds infuriating eg when we watch the Crows. 5 minutes into the first quarter and the Oppo gets a goal, she screams at the TV. I say "It's ok, sis, long way to go" and she hates that. Also, I get why.
But when it comes to Cricket, especially vs England, I am Aussie down to every molecule in my body and definitely have an Aussie bias.
I loathe Joe Root. But he's a gifted batsman, no question.
I despise Stokes, like Freddie and Botham before him. Too much talent in one Pommie body, but jeez they are/were all exceptional.
Got nothing against Archer at all, wonderful athlete, terrific bowler ... except ... I can't help it ... he plays for England *shudder gag*.

Get it, now?
I came to Australia at 3 years of age to country W.A. loved watching test cricket on ABC . Loved watching Thommo Lillee , The West Indies . Botham Gooch . As a pom I didnt choose a team My 6 other siblings are ferocious Aussie cricket fans . i wallowed for decades as a pommy cricket fan I dont have to mention the Aussie greats that dominated the poms . I do enjoy Cricket more this last 10 years . The cricket was a horrible place to go years back with the dusgusting abuse in the crowd . My skin is thicker now to the crap some Aussies throw cos crap is exactly what it is . Its refreshing to hear your views .

1) Roy beats Warner mainly because of his strike rate. Warners is 89 to Roy's 117.
2) Finch and Bairstow are fitty fitty.
3) Root easily beats Smith.
4) Archer beats Cummins and
5) Dorf and Wood are about fitty fitty as well.
1) Warner: 45.8 @ 95.5 Roy 43.1 @ 107.5
(https://www.google.com/search?q=war...hrome.0.0l6.6082j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8)
That's a break-even, isn't it?
2) Finch is Captain (more pressure) and good strategist, Finch > Bairstow
3) Yeah but nah. Smith is the superior batsman.
4) Just NO, not. Not for wickets/avge/batting/yorker. Look up their stats.
5) Wood > Berehndorff, I reckon.

It's the backing of Stoinis that bemuses me. Mitch Marsh is a very good ODI cricketer and has built a solid career in the format for himself. We had two chances to get rid of Marcus and do the right thing, but we chose not to? Stoinis can strut around the ground as much as he wants, he was lucky enough to play the knock of a lifetime on a joke of a NZ oval and he seems to be an automatic selection since.

That ODI Player of the Year award he got was undeserved and probably should have remained N/A for that season.

People underestimate how important the loss of Jhye was. He's perfect for English conditions and I don't think we win the Ashes if he doesn't get up. Hazlewood will waste the new ball time after time by bowling short of a length, it's so predictable.

I think making the semis is about right for the squad we managed to put out. Langer was building something pre-World Cup and the team was a little disrupted headed in with the inclusions of Warner and Smith. I think with a bit more time he'll have them purring.

I would like to see more positive batting in the opening PP. That's the big advantage we gain with Finch and Warner (the latter in particular). Playing Langer's Scorchers style play, conservative at the start, doesn't make sense with the cattle we have at the top. Let them play their natural games, or look at blooding somebody like Max Bryant in the next few years who can make the most of those early overs.

Every time I think of that one day award, I laugh.

Remove this Banner Ad

World Cup Semi Final 2 Thursday July 11; England v Australia @ Edgbaston

Back