Worse Loss I can remember

Remove this Banner Ad

- the time we lost to the bottom of the ladder Melbourne in R22 when only needed a win to make our first ever finals series

I have a shocking memory and it was a bad loss but didn't we only have something ridiculous like only 24 fit and available players to choose from for that game?

Was such a bummer when all the other results fell the right way to sneak in yet Fremantle lost.

I was at the game last week against the Saints, and that loss was a disgrace.

Today as highlighted, Dockers were better for first 3 quarters and then got surprised, (like most of us) by that last 30 mins....

shit happens, we were lucky, hope your boys regroup, move on and smash the bombers this week.!

In a weird way I can get the team just not switching on and being flat like last week. Really that happens. Teams just dont show up sometimes. Disgraceful but really thats very common in every sport every season. The worrying thing about today was there was just so much to play for. After 2 weeks of serving up crap, having not won at the MCG for goodness knows how long, with the knowledge that the cavalry will be coming soon you woulda hoped for a little more fight in the last. A win today woulda really set up the rest of the season well.

last week and adelaide 2009 game = shyte
this week = truly disturbing

If harvey was suprised by the last 30min then thats a bit of a worry. They put all their guns in the middle and just won clearance after clearance.. was a training drill.

I'm a GFC supporter - one who posted on the GFC board that we should consider merging with the Bulldogs in 2004 ... so I am far from perfect.

From an outsider's perspective, what happened today can NEVER happen again. The better team not only lost, they simply stopped playing and - stunningly - stopped believing.

And the worst thing? As a neutral observer I never doubted it. I always knew Freo would be overrun. It was just so predictable. I think even Freo fans knew it would happen.

Put simply - that is outrageous.

You have seriously good players, and Fyfe is even better. You had Hawthorn covered.

At such times, fans need to act to fix a club's culture.

Agree with this. All of it! Except for the fans fixing part.

The club is owned totally by WAFC. It doesn't have members. They even call us Account Holders not members.

Supporters have no vote, no say, no power and even the members reps on the board DON't represent the members.

The WAFC has put people in place who are simply destroying what others had built and what used to be a club is now a fast disappearing corporation that is used as a cash cow by the WAFC. If its not here in 5 years, do not be surprised.

I think this is one of our worst losses, simply because it demonstrates as a football club we are still a complete ****ing basket case. Our sinlge most defining characteristic, the thing that makes us what we are is our comprehensive ability to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, our ability to lie down and submit when we might gain some respect, our incredible facility to throw away wins from dominant positions, all thesw crap things.

The WAFC has put people in place who are simply destroying what others had built and what used to be a club is now a fast disappearing corporation that is used as a cash cow by the WAFC. If its not here in 5 years, do not be surprised.

Lol... in terms of off-field structure our club is better and more professional than it's ever been.

If your definition of being a real club is training out of an old shed then fine, but bake sales and sausage sizzles is not the way to operate in a professional competition.

There's so many to choose from unfortunately. The story of our club.

- the time we were the only club to lose to Fitzroy all year

- the time we lost to the bottom of the ladder Melbourne in R22 when only needed a win to make our first ever finals series

- the 50 point turnaround debacle against Melbourne
Saw all three of these games in the flesh. In particular, the round 22 Melbourne game, I remember Jeff Farmer kicking 6 against us, and even after years of service to the club, in my heart I could never quite forgive him for that day.

Now I can add the Hawthorn last quarter to the list. Sometimes I think the club should pay me to stay away. *sigh*

I spent the first 3 quarters and 5 minutes thinking "This can't be the same bunch of guys who folded against St Kilda last week." Then the last 25 minutes discovering that they really could be.

Sorry, nothing constructive to add, just needed to let it out.

It just doesn't makes sense that we lost that game. Playing clarke was a big mistake but besides that we were much better. Our tackling is so weak and we can't kick enough goals. We never seem to have the right players in the right positions and simply the club is losing it's ticker. We are in very dangerous territory snd the return of injured players won't help if we are down in the dumps.

The worst game imprinted into my memory was the loss against Melbourne when we were 53 points up earlier in the game. I was so furious, upset, gutted, pissed off, ready to put my fist through my brand new TV, ready to crawl into a hole and die.. Even worse was my partner just not understanding how I felt and resented me for being such a drama queen (which served to further fuel my frustration). Even worse still was I had no idea BF existed so I had nobody to relate to/whinge with. :mad:

Lol... in terms of off-field structure our club is better and more professional than it's ever been.

If your definition of being a real club is training out of an old shed then fine, but bake sales and sausage sizzles is not the way to operate in a professional competition.

Geelong, Collingwood, Essendon & Carlton are REAL clubs. They seem to be going OK.

Who's our President by the way ? I googled it last week but I've already forgotten. Does he ever say anything ? I'm glad the off-field stuff is going so well I only get to see the on-field Fremantle.

Geelong, Collingwood, Essendon & Carlton are REAL clubs. They seem to be going OK.

Who's our President by the way ? I googled it last week but I've already forgotten. Does he ever say anything ? I'm glad the off-field stuff is going so well I only get to see the on-field Fremantle.

President's a w***er so really, I try to forget about him as well

I've seen some truely awful things and today is another one on the catalogue of disasters that I've seen

I said during the week that Melbourne based supporters and those who travel from Perth to the MCG or Etihad get dudded by this football club and for 3 quarters today, we were fantastic. Sad thing is, at 3/4 time I said "It's Freo, it's never over" and remembered the 53 point lead squandered against Melbourne and guess what, history repeated itself.

All I could do was just sit there in shock and disbelief

At the final siren I was just in a daze and all I could think of is that one frustrating question that's haunted us for 15 years

WHY???????

Re: Change things

Dear Joe,

Thanks for your insightful comments. Noted. No further action will be taken in relation to this matter.

Kind regards

Fremantle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

- the time Brisbane kicked 20 goals in the first half against us

- the time we were 4 goals up against Collingwood at home in 05, needing only one more win from the last 4 games to make the finals, only to choke and let them run over us. And backing that up by losing every game for the rest of the season and missing the finals

- the first game of 08 when we were smashing Port at home only to switch off and let them kick 8 goals in the 3rd qtr and go on to win

- the debacle in Adelaide when we only kicked 1 goal

And that's just off the top of my head...

I think that was the actually the 4th quarter, just like today, but I could be wrong. And yeah, that was worse because it happened at our home ground.

I'm a GFC supporter - one who posted on the GFC board that we should consider merging with the Bulldogs in 2004 ... so I am far from perfect.

From an outsider's perspective, what happened today can NEVER happen again. The better team not only lost, they simply stopped playing and - stunningly - stopped believing.

And the worst thing? As a neutral observer I never doubted it. I always knew Freo would be overrun. It was just so predictable. I think even Freo fans knew it would happen.

Put simply - that is outrageous.

You have seriously good players, and Fyfe is even better. You had Hawthorn covered.

At such times, fans need to act to fix a club's culture.

Too true. I was never comfortable with the lead we had. I've seen it far too many times in the past.

Disagree with your off field comments, we are actually substantially worse than last year.

We've never trained out of an old shed and never relied on bakes sales. You can't have followed FFC for very long.

Check the membership numbers. After last season,you'd expect them to be up, yes?

Guess what, they're down.

Weekly attendances average - 2 - 3,000 less than last year.

Thats a substantial amount NOT going into club coffers. Dissatisfaction amongst the supporter base is at the highest I've seen...after last year, why is this?

President's a w***er so really, I try to forget about him as well

I've seen some truely awful things and today is another one on the catalogue of disasters that I've seen

I said during the week that Melbourne based supporters and those who travel from Perth to the MCG or Etihad get dudded by this football club and for 3 quarters today, we were fantastic. Sad thing is, at 3/4 time I said "It's Freo, it's never over" and remembered the 53 point lead squandered against Melbourne and guess what, history repeated itself.

All I could do was just sit there in shock and disbelief

At the final siren I was just in a daze and all I could think of is that one frustrating question that's haunted us for 15 years

WHY???????

Said the same thing to my hawks mates at the game today, even after Hill kicked the first of the last. West Coast based supporters may have a little more optimism, but for those of us in Melbourne, years of bitter fourth quarter laydowns have bred us this way. Still happens a lot out west as well for that matter.

Obviously not the most important loss nor the biggest. But id have to say that this would rank as the most demoralizing loss I can remember. Losing by 22 to the hawks at the G in itself isnt the problem. The whole game kind of personified the problems at freo. When we had all the momentum we couldnt put them away. When it was time for someone to stand up in the 4th. No one did.

It was the most insipid display of football for the year. Poor Coaching, a lack of leadership, a general just lack of direction.

Some will say we had some major players out. So what? Hawks were missing a few too. As long as you put on the jumper you come to play. Barely touched the ball in the 4th. It was almost like watching a disaster in slow motion.

Dude, you need to get out more.

You also need to learn more about the history of being an East coast Freo supporter. I've been over here for twelve and a half years, and (up until last year's win against Sydney at the SCG) I'd never seen us win in that time, having gone to 43 consecutive east coast (Melb/Syd/Bris/Adel/Darwin/Tassie/Canberra) Freo games.

In that stretch there have been so, so many losses that were so, so much worse than today's game (and, frankly, even a couple of wins, including the un-deserved steal we got at the Gabba in round 1 this year).

The worst game imprinted into my memory was the loss against Melbourne when we were 53 points up earlier in the game. I was so furious, upset, gutted, pissed off, ready to put my fist through my brand new TV, ready to crawl into a hole and die..

Dunno about the dieing bit, but being there in the crowd at the G has to be one of the weirdest, most un-believable sports experiences of my life. We were just so far in front. And they were just so shit. Surely we couldn't lose. Surely we'd just kick one or two more. Surely that new kid for the Demons (Wona) couldn't keep kicking them from all the weird angles. Surely the TV cameras would focus on someone other than me in the last 45 seconds of the game as we turned it over twice??

Even worse was my partner just not understanding how I felt and resented me for being such a drama queen (which served to further fuel my frustration). Even worse still was I had no idea BF existed so I had nobody to relate to/whinge with. :mad:

Sometimes, BF is the only real place those of us who are away from the main Freo support centers can go to at least try to have some salvation after a bad loss. Today was not such a bad loss. Indeed, after today (as opposed to the Saints game, the Wegirls game and the last quarter against the Tigers) I am actually fairly up beat. How can you not be, after seeing Griff, Zac, Diff, Broughts, Pearce and Lower go around for us??

The Richmond loss was worse than this. This was not that bad a loss, Hawthorn are one of the better teams in the league who played crap and we played as well as we could they turned it up and we had nowhere else to go.

Yep. The way we dropped our heads and refused to chase in that last quarter against Richmond was just discgraceful. We weren't any better against the Saints, and the Egirls game was ordinary too.

- the time Brisbane kicked 20 goals in the first half against us

- the time we were 4 goals up against Collingwood at home in 05, needing only one more win from the last 4 games to make the finals, only to choke and let them run over us. And backing that up by losing every game for the rest of the season and missing the finals

- the first game of 08 when we were smashing Port at home only to switch off and let them kick 8 goals in the 3rd qtr and go on to win

- the debacle in Adelaide when we only kicked 1 goal

And that's just off the top of my head...

Posted like a genuine Freo veteran, Esti, as opposed to the OP.

'Though it was a 53 point turnaround against Melbourne actually Esti.

And, FWIW, I was there for every one of those except the one goal Adelaide game.

Since I left Perth all those years ago, my personal win percentage (for live games) is 12 and a half years, 56 games (including pre-season games) live, 5 wins. All five wins have come in the last year and a half. Of the 51 losses I've seen live in my East Coast time, I can safely say there are at least 21 that are worse than today's effort. We were very good for three and a bit quarters, and much better than our previous few games.

I'm not a Fremantle supporter, as you'll see to your left. But, having cheered your side on today, I'm frustrated beyond belief on your behalf.

Today's collapse is not a "there we go again" moment. It's not a "oh, how annoying to follow Fremantle" moment.

It is UNACCEPTABLE.

Sometimes clubs need fans to tell them that fact.

The better team lost today. A few goals got scored by their opponent and the crowd started roaring and your team gave up ... again.

This can not happen again. The club needs to embrace that realisation, and realise their fans will not accept it. And not forgive it or get lost in self-pity.

I honestly think Geelong's rise happened after such a game against North in 2007.

Do not ever permit your club to collapse.

Garbage. Go troll somewhere else.

Games like today can and will happen again, eventually, to all clubs in all leagues that play our great game. Face it - no-one was stretchered off, no spectator invaded the pitch and assaulted players, no fan fired a flare, no-one threw full cans at players. No stadium collapsed. No player or ref bet on the outcome in a corrupt way. It is hardly a "never again" game. Just one of those days when a team hits the switch, changes momentum and takes advantage of it's opposition's mistakes. No different to our wins against Brisbane or the Bulldogs this year...

Jordan Lisle kicks straight and we aren't even having a conversation. We hung in well, but we were hardly the better side. Oh, and when we want your help we'll ask for it, we've actually looked after you by giving you Chris, so how about you show some humility and grace and go back to your own board?

You're a better man than most BIPG. To have seen what you've seen and still turn up time and time again and still be batting on. There are many of us who think we can't take another twist in the tale of Freo emerging from the cellar. Every time i say to myself, at least they won't embarrass us any more something like last week happens.
But I thought we were going to get humiliated today so I suppose I have to take the positive of the first 3/4. For some reason I find our capitulation (yet again) nearly as humiliating as if we did get blown out of the water from word go.
Still reading your post puts it all in perspective. Good for you mate!

Remove this Banner Ad

Worse Loss I can remember

Remove this Banner Ad

Back