• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

iceman21

Senior List
Jan 29, 2003
South Australia
Other Teams
crows
Six weeks into the season and Carey is showing that he isn't the player he used to be, although IMO he has been very good for the Crows, he has taken the best defender and always seems to be a focus- while not getting a huge amout of possesions he has competed well and broght the ball to ground which has helped to bring other players into the game- I also feel he has helped younger players like Perrie in their development

Would you have Carey at your club if you could? and why/why not?

What could Carey possibly bring... he's not helping out younger players... he is taking their spot. I would take him if he was free.... but I doubt he would fit into the Eagles lineup... because we're not goign to win the flag in the next 2 years. I defiantely would never have given up Daniel Wells for him... ever.

With so many key forwards missing at Richmond due to injury, we could probably use Carey at the moment.

But overall no. Similar thoughts to what Chris Jedd said, we are not going to be seriously threatening for a flag in the next couple of years, so better to blood a younger, cheaper player.

Originally posted by sabre_ac
No I wouldnt give up Wells for him.
Though I would have him at my team, yet he isnt worth the value of any of our forwards we have at the moment.

I'd have Carey over Croad any day! And he'd be on half of Croad's wage too most likely.

Originally posted by Ed Scissorhands
I'd have Carey over Croad any day! And he'd be on half of Croad's wage too most likely.

As much as I think Croad is overpaid and useless I would still take him over Wayne Carey. At least with Croad he is young and may still develop into a player for 8 to 10 years. Carey has 2 years max and at this stage he looks like 2 ordinary years. As Dennis Cometti said.... "Carey looks like he has been standing in the rain for the last 5 years" he looks that rusty.

No I wouldnt take him, he would only get in the way of the development of a youngster like McDougall or Gaspar. Also when you bring Carey to your club, you bring the circus with him. Spa's, adultery, the freaking media. No thanks.

10 years ago...yes. Now, not a chance.

I can understand all the negative votes as Wayne has not performed any where near his best so far,

While we don't expect the Carey of old at the Crows i still feel we are yet to see the best we can realistically expect of him & though he has shown glimpses of the Carey of old in the games he has played lets give him the year & then put a poll up to see who would have had him in their side,

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by Jars458
Just like we didnt replace Stevens Welsh Burton etc with Wayne Carey

That wasn't the question.

I think you do have to question them giving u Daniel Wells for Carey. Thats definately going to bite them on the ass.

Someone I know who is a North Melbourne supporter was looking at trades and saw that they gave Wayne Schwass away for Shannon Grant. At the time it looked a win for Sydney but where is Wayne Schwass now? Retired and commentating on tv... Shannon Grant is still running around doing well. Thats how Crows fans are going to feel but 1000 times worst.... for the next 15 years watching Daniel Wells run around as a very good player... while Carey will be this distance memory... and maybe even a failed experiment.

Spot on

If the crows do not win the flag, bug waste, if they do OK. Would I have him no for the reasons above. As Rio said for no picks min wage yes but his ego would not allow that.

The Roos got 2 years ahead of rebuilding from having to get rid of him.

Originally posted by Chris_Judd
Someone I know who is a North Melbourne supporter was looking at trades and saw that they gave Wayne Schwass away for Shannon Grant. At the time it looked a win for Sydney but where is Wayne Schwass now? Retired and commentating on tv... Shannon Grant is still running around doing well.

The Shannon Grant/Wayne Schwass swap is a little different from the Wayne Carey/Daniel Wells situation. Grant was homesick and desperately wanted to return to Melbourne, if he weren’t traded by the Swans he would have nominated for the draft – the Swans would have lost him anyway and received nothing for him.

The trade of Grant for Schwass was a win/win situation for both clubs in the circumstances.

Not only do you end up with a hack but you also get a backstabbing, pussylicking lunch cutter in your mix. You can see watching Crows games that they just dont trust him, they will play with him, but doubt they would party with him. We had the best and worst of Carey, doubt the Crows will get either of those, it was worth a punt for them, quality side close to winning a premiership.

Would l have him back, not until hell freezes over, and even then l would start a fire to heat the place up again.

Wrath

If the Carey / Stevens incident had not occured, would the Kangaroos have traded Carey for the number four pick in the draft.

Answer - of course not.

Even if the Crows don't win a flag in the next two years this doens not prove Wells would have enabled us to.

We had plenty in midfield and wanted an extra forward. That's what we got.

Its also been an interesting ride. Plenty to talk about with other supporters who now of course have no interest in him.

Funny how 14 clubs or so wanted him at the time.

Originally posted by Jars458
Even if the Crows don't win a flag in the next two years this doens not prove Wells would have enabled us to.
I don't think thats the dispute - I think the dispute is that even if Wells hadn't won you a premiership in those three years, he'd still have another 8 years of quality football in him.

Originally posted by Porthos
I don't think thats the dispute - I think the dispute is that even if Wells hadn't won you a premiership in those three years, he'd still have another 8 years of quality football in him.
As a Crows supporter I would prefer to have a shot a winning the flag now! How many clubs appear to be regularly rebuilding with "the best" young talent in the land?! You need to have the right mix of youth experience & at the last draft we didn't need another younger player like Wells when we have enough young talent such as Johnc ock, Reilly, Mattner & Hentschel & Rutten coming through to replace the few retirement we will have in the next couple of years.

I am happy he is in Adelaide. He is doing as much as I expected him to do. Kick a couple of goals, give of couple, crash a few packs and take opositions best defender.

The only thing that I would like him to be is a bit more consistent. He was ordinary in 2 out of 5 games he has played. Admittedly the delivery in both of those games was pathetic but still I think he could have kicked a goal or 2.

Overall I am happy with his contribution at the moment. He will get better once he get a few more games under his belt.

Remove this Banner Ad

Would you have Carey at your club?

Back