Yarra Valley - Mountain District FL Forum 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Derby103 for the stats.
Burnt out apart from Ricky Clarke who are the good recruits?
Monnie Hawk, maybe Steve is the problem? Has been in charge for a number of years with very little success.
Moin, Shaun Connell apart from being a great bloke is the only Reserves Premiership coach at Gembrook in over 100 years ( a 95% win percentage in 2000) - not bad!

Thanks Derby103 for the stats.
Burnt out apart from Ricky Clarke who are the good recruits?
Monnie Hawk, maybe Steve is the problem? Has been in charge for a number of years with very little success.
Moin, Shaun Connell apart from being a great bloke is the only Reserves Premiership coach at Gembrook in over 100 years ( a 95% win percentage in 2000) - not bad!

Steve Andrews the problem???? The blokes been in Adelaide for the last year or two.... He's the only bloke playing who's actually lived near the ground.

and as for Big Con - maybe the Brookers should look into it for next year! I know he's definately sick of selling computers.

Have been extremely disappointing the Brookers. Apart from the recruiting of the Clark brothers and the coach, there really wasn't much else to talk about in regards to recruits apart from the much hyped no show of Austinn Jones!

Lack of depth is a huge issue but surely with these guys plus big Clarke they should be doing better than one win!

Gillespie has hardly played for the Cats so won't be much of a loss but Bullen will - the Cats were fantastic in their last outing and still will be there abouts later in the year. I don't think all is lost for them as yet but they wouldn't want too many injuries!

Steve Andrews must be 40 plus!!!

Austinn Jones was never going to play for the Brookers!
It was a publicity stunt.
He informed the Gippsland Power at the end of last season he could not continue coaching due to work commitments.
Next thing you know he is part of the awesome 3 coaching panel.

Austinn Jones was never going to play for the Brookers!
It was a publicity stunt.
He informed the Gippsland Power at the end of last season he could not continue coaching due to work commitments.
Next thing you know he is part of the awesome 3 coaching panel.

Interesting comment - but you have no idea what you are talking about. Aussie had every intention of playing. He completed a full pre-season with us as well as attending our training camp in March. It was only after that, that his employment became an issue with his employer requesting more time from him. Myself, Steve and Travis were all part of the discussions with Aussie, and I can tell you that he was extremely upset at having to pull out at that late stage.
I'd suggest to you that you be very careful about making uninformed comments about matters you clearly know nothing about - particularly under the anonymous protection that this forum offers. Anyone that knows Aussie would vouch for the guy's honesty and integrity. Your comments would seek to discredit him, as well as others at Gembrook who have worked tirelessly to improve the club's stocks both on and off the field.
If you have a genuine interest in the club, perhaps you might seek to become involved, rather than take pot shots?

Sssshhh! Go easy!
Got my butt kicked for daring to mention in HawkTalk that the Brookers aren't quite living up to expectations - yet again! Steve is a bit touchy about all this.
Still, hope they get it sorted out before my grandson Cade dons the bright green strip!

Monnie Hawk, I think that's just a bit unfair. I think you'll find that the comment Steve took umbrage with was the statement that we were "in disarray". You won't get anyone at our club disagreeing with you that our results on the field this year have been disappointing. But overall the club is actually in good shape. We're very happy with our new coach, and we always knew internally that improving our on field performances was never going to be an easy "quick fix".
Most of those expectations have been from outside the club, although undoubtedly driven by what someone else on this forum called "self promotion", primarily through the press we received through the pre-season.
I guess you're damned if you do and damned if you don't in that respect. As a committee and executive you'll use any means at your disposal to try and drum up interest in your club, and if that comes through the media you're happy to take what you can get.
Of course that means that there are those who are happy to take a pot shot when performances don't measure up to the hype. But that's fair enough, we'll wear that. We know that if you stick your head up there'll be people around who'll want to try and knock it off.
We make no excuses and we know that the only way we'll answer our detractors is by showing real improvement on the field. I can assure all of our supporters that our coaches, playing group and committee are working towards that.

Thanks, McCavity. I was a bit disturbed by the reaction from the Brookers, so I appreciate the chance to reply.
Two things to consider.
You've taken the words "in disarray" out of context. Those words were in the match preview and referred to the state of the playing side, not the club. I've not made any negative comments on the club in general, the coach or individual players. It simply wasn't relevant, nor would it have been helpful to either cause. But the disappointment in the on-field performance still stands. Granted injuries haven't helped (as also mentioned), but it's not really an excuse.
Secondly, it wasn't a 'potshot' at the club. The article was written in context for Monbulk supporters (it's our newsletter after all, and we also like to drum up interest), so it reflects that viewpoint. If I wanted a cheap shot at Gembrook as a club, it would have gone straight across the bows! I know enough about the club to know it is in good shape culturally and administratively, so if you have taken offence it was certainly not intended. At worst, it was just sloppy editing.
Chill out. I still love ya!

Thanks, McCavity. I was a bit disturbed by the reaction from the Brookers, so I appreciate the chance to reply.
Two things to consider.
You've taken the words "in disarray" out of context. Those words were in the match preview and referred to the state of the playing side, not the club. I've not made any negative comments on the club in general, the coach or individual players. It simply wasn't relevant, nor would it have been helpful to either cause. But the disappointment in the on-field performance still stands. Granted injuries haven't helped (as also mentioned), but it's not really an excuse.
Secondly, it wasn't a 'potshot' at the club. The article was written in context for Monbulk supporters (it's our newsletter after all, and we also like to drum up interest), so it reflects that viewpoint. If I wanted a cheap shot at Gembrook as a club, it would have gone straight across the bows! I know enough about the club to know it is in good shape culturally and administratively, so if you have taken offence it was certainly not intended. At worst, it was just sloppy editing.
Chill out. I still love ya!

Monnie Hawk, thanks for providing some clarity regarding the original comments made in your newsletter. I can accept that we've probably taken the comments a little out of context, and that your comments were made from the perspective of a game preview rather than a comment aimed at our club overall. No offence taken.

As I stated in my previous post though, we accept that we've not performed to the level we would have hoped, which has been disappointing to our coaches, players, committee and supporters alike. We're not making any excuses for that, and we are addressing that on the training track and on the park.

You'll have to forgive me though for feeling the need to defend the club against some of the criticism that's recently been levelled at us from other anonymous contributors to this forum. Some of whom would question the honesty and ability of our club's administration and coaches. It was more towards those person(s) that I was levelling most of my comments at.

We have got terrific people at our club (both coaches and committee), as do all of the clubs within the YVMDFL, who work tirelessly and without a lot of thanks. So, when anonymous posters get on and make unsubstantiated and uninformed comments about our club - then you'll understand why I make no apologies for defending them without qualification.

As to yourself Monnie Hawk, you don't hide behind the anonymity of your BF moniker. We all know who you are and appreciate your comments which are generally balanced and fair minded.

Cheers and good luck to the Hawks for the rest of the season (except for when you're playing the Brookers of course:)).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ta!
Glad that is getting cleared up. It worried me. Best wishes to to the Brookers also.

It might have a come a little late for me but....
(Couldn't resist the Sth Australianism)

BTW. Was it Kafka or Kierkegaard who said "What on earth am I doing here?"?

Ta!
Glad that is getting cleared up. It worried me. Best wishes to to the Brookers also.

It might have a come a little late for me but....
(Couldn't resist the Sth Australianism)

BTW. Was it Kafka or Kierkegaard who said "What on earth am I doing here?"?

Sounds like an existentialist notion to me..."I think therefore I am". This is all getting a little obscure for a footy forum though.

What's everyones thought on divvy 2 at this stage?
Will Olinda go through underfeated or will someone be good enough to knock em off??
Seville are going alright at the moment & Kinglake can be good on there day. As for the rest of the teams I don't think they are going to trouble them at all?

Interesting comment - but you have no idea what you are talking about. Aussie had every intention of playing. He completed a full pre-season with us as well as attending our training camp in March. It was only after that, that his employment became an issue with his employer requesting more time from him. Myself, Steve and Travis were all part of the discussions with Aussie, and I can tell you that he was extremely upset at having to pull out at that late stage.
I'd suggest to you that you be very careful about making uninformed comments about matters you clearly know nothing about - particularly under the anonymous protection that this forum offers. Anyone that knows Aussie would vouch for the guy's honesty and integrity. Your comments would seek to discredit him, as well as others at Gembrook who have worked tirelessly to improve the club's stocks both on and off the field.
If you have a genuine interest in the club, perhaps you might seek to become involved, rather than take pot shots?

l was involved with the club up until a couple of years ago.

Talking recently to a current member l was informed that Scotty Medwell, who did all of pre season was overlooked for round 1 (told he just wasn't good enough) and has left, Damien (Slugger) Smethurst is playing with Monbulk and Mick Sterne in playing Vets with Emerald.

Interesting why 3 quality blokes would leave (along with a few others).

l was involved with the club up until a couple of years ago.

Talking recently to a current member l was informed that Scotty Medwell, who did all of pre season was overlooked for round 1 (told he just wasn't good enough) and has left, Damien (Slugger) Smethurst is playing with Monbulk and Mick Sterne in playing Vets with Emerald.

Interesting why 3 quality blokes would leave (along with a few others).

By your own admission then, your knowledge of what is happening at the club is based on 2nd hand knowledge passed to you from a current member. From a negligible knowledge base you've then made the unsubstantiated statement that Aussie Jones was never going to play with Gembrook and that it was all a publicity stunt - and inferred that there is a hidden agenda behind the departure of at least 3 people from the club.

All of the playing group were told at the commencement of pre-season that those who completed the full pre-season would have the opportunity of having priority selection to play all of the practice matches. This was promised and delivered on.

There were a number of players who missed selection in round 1, who had completed either all of - or the majority of the pre season. None of them were told that they weren't good enough. Most of those players are now gaining regular selection in the reserves team and have been rewarded for their persistence. As far as I can recall, that's a common theme at any football club I've ever been associated with. If not selected, you keep training and doing all that's asked of you by the coaches and you'll eventually get your opportunity.

There was nothing sinister in the clearance of Slugger to Monbulk. He requested it on the basis that it was more convenient to him based on where he lives and he works. That was the reason he gave the club, and I have no reason to think otherwise.

Michael Sterne is playing vets at Emerald. Gembrook doesn't have a vets side, so if he wants to play vets its perfectly understandable that he would want to do so at Emerald.

Despite your assertions, there have been no major defections from the club. We have pretty much the same playing group as last year along with a couple of additions, the same loyal group of members, supporters and committee and home game attendances are up on last year.

Monnie Hawk, I think that's just a bit unfair. I think you'll find that the comment Steve took umbrage with was the statement that we were "in disarray". You won't get anyone at our club disagreeing with you that our results on the field this year have been disappointing. But overall the club is actually in good shape. We're very happy with our new coach, and we always knew internally that improving our on field performances was never going to be an easy "quick fix".
Most of those expectations have been from outside the club, although undoubtedly driven by what someone else on this forum called "self promotion", primarily through the press we received through the pre-season.
I guess you're damned if you do and damned if you don't in that respect. As a committee and executive you'll use any means at your disposal to try and drum up interest in your club, and if that comes through the media you're happy to take what you can get.
Of course that means that there are those who are happy to take a pot shot when performances don't measure up to the hype. But that's fair enough, we'll wear that. We know that if you stick your head up there'll be people around who'll want to try and knock it off.
We make no excuses and we know that the only way we'll answer our detractors is by showing real improvement on the field. I can assure all of our supporters that our coaches, playing group and committee are working towards that.

Ah - famous last words

Like your style McCavity.A lot of people will be eating there words once the brookers start winning.Which will be sooner rather than later.There has been plenty of other recruits to Gembrook on and off the field.lt all goes well for the future.Still a lot of passion from all concerned at the club

Hope he is, he seems to know so much, his thoughts are so correct and helpful, we should just read them and put his words in action,like the ten commandments at each club he"s not involved at, then we could all be as good as the club he supports

Well its official-Compass have been placed in receivership.The league have acted quickly and replaced them with High Mountain Spring Water as major sponsors.Well done for acting so swiftly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back