Year end list management - Who would you delist?

Remove this Banner Ad

I'll be surprised if Swan plays on another year, see how he can handle this season first but we all know Buckley prefers to retire players off early rather than continue to let them play on.

I'd be shocked if he retired and if he did it would be his call alone. Swan is very driven and knows youre a liong time retired. Dont let the tatts and the joking nature fool you.

Cant think of a single player Buckley retired off early except Davis who has only himslef to blame by changing his mind at the eleventh hour and leaving the club with no wriggle room on the cap. Didak Ball Jolly Maxwell etc were all cooked.

Should we chase shultz from port and minson??

Schultz is a maybe depending on price, but don't see him or Port wanting to part ways while they're in their premiership window.

Minson - Whether or not he has a future in the AFL really depends whats going on behind the scenes this year. Something must've happened for Beveridge to drop him completely out of the rotation - it may just be a personality clash with the coach, in which case he should do ok elsewhere... but it may another off-field issue or he may have come back unfit, or something similar, in which case you question what his future holds as a player. Either way, with Grundy and Witts having another year of experience, as well as some "emergency" ruck options (White, Gault, Cox) I definitely don't see a place on our main list for another ruck... only way I would go for Minson is if we decide to have Grundy as our primary ruck and trade Witts away (Which I really don't want us to do at this stage).

I'd be shocked if he retired and if he did it would be his call alone. Swan is very driven and knows youre a liong time retired. Dont let the tatts and the joking nature fool you.

Cant think of a single player Buckley retired off early except Davis who has only himslef to blame by changing his mind at the eleventh hour and leaving the club with no wriggle room on the cap. Didak Ball Jolly Maxwell etc were all cooked.

Yeah, as long as Swan's body holds out for most of this year, he is playing well enough to stay.

I am a fan of Buckley's list management approach, but it is clear that he was wanted players to retire, often before that player themselves realised they needed to... and I agree that only really Davis had showed that he was clearly capable of playing on for at least 1 more year, but there were salary cap issues at that stage for our list. Didak and Jolly were clearly shot but didn't know it. Maxwell did, and I reckon he would've made the decision himself, rather than the club. I think Ball was one that probably took a bit of convincing from Bucks (probably just sat down and discussed with Luke how his own final year went, and whether Ball's body was up to another year at this level or was starting to shut down like Bucks' did)... plus we had a ready made replacement for Ball in Adams.

The positives for Swan at this stage is that he is still a very important member of our midfield, and is probably near the top of our BnF count at this stage, and our list management is at the stage where we don't really need to cull a group of aging players any more... we can afford to keep Swanny on for another year or two (or more). I think it will probably come down to Swan himself, with how well his body is doing, and whether his heart is still into playing footy at this level. (which I think it is)

Last edited:
Swannies body holds up he'll play on.

Ball, Didak, Jolly, and Krakouer were all pushed toward retirement but that was purely because their bodies weren't up to it any longer.

We will see but Buckley doesn't hang on to old players.

Namely. Ball.
Johnson could've gone another year.
Krakouer had a year in him.
Davis had two more at least.

I think when you look at those names Swan will be gone at years end.

Every player could go in if wages, opportunity for others and upside wasn't a question.

Like Sewell, Ball could have gone on but you have to transition and Adams was the man.

Johnson and Seedsman, same thing.

Krakouer was a great crumber but could barely get himself to training by the end. He was done.

Davis might have had one more year and his kicking was a treat but Oxley has filled that role.

There is really only Davis who possibly had one more year. The rest of the players you mention spent all they had. No-one really went before time.

Every player could go in if wages, opportunity for others and upside wasn't a question.

Like Sewell, Ball could have gone on but you have to transition and Adams was the man.

Johnson and Seedsman, same thing.

Krakouer was a great crumber but could barely get himself to training by the end. He was done.

Davis might have had one more year and his kicking was a treat but Oxley has filled that role.

There is really only Davis who possibly had one more year. The rest of the players you mention spent all they had. No-one really went before time.

Didn't Johnno leave because he just wanted to retire from footy anyway?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Namely. Ball.
Johnson could've gone another year.
Krakouer had a year in him.
Davis had two more at least.

I think when you look at those names Swan will be gone at years end.

Ball was cooked.
Johnson was cooked.
Karaouer did nothing in his last year and had off field/personal issues that were affecting his performance.
Davis chose his own destiny due to indecision.

Ball was cooked.
Johnson was cooked.
Karaouer did nothing in his last year and had off field/personal issues that were affecting his performance.
Davis chose his own destiny due to indecision.
Were they all cooked before the season began in their final year? Swan isn't even half way through this year yet.

Were they all cooked before the season began in their final year? Swan isn't even half way through this year yet.

When they began their final year it was likely that they only had only one year left...except Krakouer but given his off field past he was always a wild card as to whether he was in the right headspace. Absolutely.

Swan has proven to be pretty durable over the journey injury wise and a consistent contributor on the field with only last year one that could be considered to be an injry affected one. Unless you are wishing major injury upon him (and I wouldnt put it past you) I cant see how its possible to envisage him retiring at the end of the season.

Thomas and Keefe obviously
Armstrong cut from the rookie list, don't know enough about the other rookies
Dwyer, Fasolo, Karnezis and Clinton Young all chances to go - not sure on their contract status but all four need to show they are best 22 players by seasons end or I think they are wasting space on the list.

What a stupid comment.

It's an easy comment to make, but not stupid.

McCarthy is lighting it up and looks a future top 10 KPF in the league, while Freeman is struggling to overcome a hamstring tendon injury suffered 15 months ago and is yet to be sighted in the AFL.

One has undoubtedly proven himself at AFL level, and the other has looked average at VFL level.

Freeman may be a good draft choice if he can get over injuries, if he can show good form in the VFL, and if he can stay injury free maybe he can be a good midfielder at AFL level, and maybe just maybe he might become an A grader, but there's a lot of if's, not sure the same can be said about McCarthy.

Struggling? He's been injured due to Daveron being an idiot. You're comparing a mid to a forward. just stop.

Remove this Banner Ad

Year end list management - Who would you delist?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back