FB: L.Ryan/G.Logue/T.Duman
HB: H.Young/A.Pearce/E.Hughes

C: J.Aish/A.Brayshaw/D.Tucker

HF: S.Sturt/M,Taberner/C.McCarthy
FF: S.Switkowski/J.Hogan/L.Henry

RR: S.Darcy/C.Blakely/A.Cerra

INT: B.Acres/C.Serong/B.Bewley/B.Cox

Definite holes are Tall Defenders and Small Forwards

Aside from those two areas, that's actually a more than solid line-up.

Think Longmuir has the personnel needed to succeed, just need a good game plan to take advantage of the talent.

With the caveat that they’re all fit I’d have Essendon as near the best. Weaknesses are unproven Ruck, a Number 1 KPD and as usual a big bodied midfielder.

FB: Gleeson - Zerk-Thatcher - Saad
HB: Ridley - Francis - Mckenna
C: Langford - Parish - Redman
HF: Snelling - Daniher - Begley
FF: Stewart - Stringer - Fantasia
R: Draper - Merrett - McGrath
IC: Cutler - Laverde - Clarke - Guelfi

Note I don’t think Essendon has the best youth just a multitude of players in 23-25 age bracket. The above side is really only missing 6 best 22 locks (Shiel, Heppell, Smith, Bellchambers, Hooker and Hurley)

With the caveat that they’re all fit I’d have Essendon as near the best. Weaknesses are unproven Ruck, a Number 1 KPD and as usual a big bodied midfielder.

Note I don’t think Essendon has the best youth just a multitude of players in 23-25 age bracket. The above side is really only missing 6 best 22 locks (Shiel, Heppell, Smith, Bellchambers, Hooker and Hurley)
That’s a pretty average side though. A lot of underwhelming names there. I rate Saad, Merrett and Daniher. The rest will be B graders at best.

I've highlighted those that are unproven or unlikely chances to become top players, and I'm being generous with a fair few left unbolded.

Need another level from at least a handful of them to do more damage in September.

And what’s the plan for when Daniher requests out end of next year

Do you not remember Cam Zurhaar destroying the Richmond backline?

The actual criticism is that none of Simpkin, Ahern, Dumont, LDU, Anderson, Bonar have put together an elite season yet, but there's still plenty coming through.
i dunno the cupboards look pretty bare for mine. Case in point - Norths Vfl side finished 13th/15th. Lowest of the vic Afl sides.

i dunno the cupboards look pretty bare for mine. Case in point - Norths Vfl side finished 13th/15th. Lowest of the vic Afl sides.
We'll have to wait and see on that front, Bailey Scott missed the whole year as did Ed Vickers-Willis, LDU was carrying a shoulder injury for a good part of the year, Luke McDonald broke his leg, Will Walker missed the year with injury, McKay was down with pneumonia for a good chunk of the year, Durdin missed the first 2 or 3 months of the season, Garner is just perpetually 3 weeks away from playing and the rest of the team besides Xerri and Croc were mostly playing in the 1s or not yet drafted. I saw hosie shred some defenses at Arden street but we had and still have a very poor stock of mature vfl midfielders.

I don't think there's much you can take from our vfl year with regards to the quality of our 25 and under players.

Develop and more importantly retain. Lots of similar high draft picks in 2010 or so didn't achieve much
Training out of sheds with a first time coach
Next to no mature supporting cast. Administrators who had no idea what they were doing.

We had About 4 afl quality players over the age of 25 in 2010.

Far greater mature age base now clearly, completely different situation.

That’s a pretty average side though. A lot of underwhelming names there. I rate Saad, Merrett and Daniher. The rest will be B graders at best.
I've highlighted those that are unproven or unlikely chances to become top players, and I'm being generous with a fair few left unbolded.

Need another level from at least a handful of them to do more damage in September.

Not saying Essendon is going to be a future gun team I just think we have a lot of proven players in the 25 and under bracket.

Agree with all the bolded except Redman who was terrific last year but could easily swap him with Stewart or Guelfi as unproven/limited players.

Overall every teams under 25 side is gonna have unproven players.

Not saying Essendon is going to be a future gun team I just think we have a lot of proven players in the 25 and under bracket.

Agree with all the bolded except Redman who was terrific last year but could easily swap him with Stewart or Guelfi as unproven/limited players.

Overall every teams under 25 side is gonna have unproven players.

Fair enough, the Eagles one also has a fair few holes and some unproven players.

It's the nature of a team that's going for a premiership in the short term.

Could see us splitting one of our 2 first rounders and ending up with 3 first rounders next year

with all the bids to come on academy players we can take advantage of helping others get ahead of bids

You'll need it - Sydney, Brisbane, Gold Coast, Carlton, Freo and the Dogs all have better under 25 lists. And I didn't even mention my own team who I think are clearly superior.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FB: L.Ryan/G.Logue/T.Duman
HB: H.Young/A.Pearce/E.Hughes

C: J.Aish/A.Brayshaw/D.Tucker

HF: S.Sturt/M,Taberner/C.McCarthy
FF: S.Switkowski/J.Hogan/L.Henry

RR: S.Darcy/C.Blakely/A.Cerra

INT: B.Acres/C.Serong/B.Bewley/B.Cox

Definite holes are Tall Defenders and Small Forwards
Not a bad try.

Only minor Problem is Matt Taberner is 26 years old. But.... You can chuck either Hugh Dixon or Brennan Cox in that Roaming CHF spot.

Other than that, very good.

And to think..... way back in 2008, freo only had 6-7 players aged 23 or under.

Aside from those two areas, that's actually a more than solid line-up.

Think Longmuir has the personnel needed to succeed, just need a good game plan to take advantage of the talent.
I dont think there are massive holes in the tall defenders department. Alex Pearce is 198 cm. Logue, Duman and Brennan Cox are all 193 cm. Freo got Logue, Cox and Duman in the same draft year of 2016. Logue and Cox was from the 2016 draft, Dumans from the 2017 Rookie draft.

You'll need it - Sydney, Brisbane, Gold Coast, Carlton, Freo and the Dogs all have better under 25 lists. And I didn't even mention my own team who I think are clearly superior.

You may well laugh but that's 7 teams and Port who are better placed over the next 5-8 years.

Richmond, GWS, Collingwood, WC and Geelong are all in flag mode.

That leaves North in familiar mid-table no mans land with Essendon, Hawthorn, the Saints and Adelaide.

You may well laugh but that's 7 teams and Port who are better placed over the next 5-8 years.

Richmond, GWS, Collingwood, WC and Geelong are all in flag mode.

That leaves North in familiar mid-table no mans land with Essendon, Hawthorn, the Saints and Adelaide.
Yeah let’s see how well your crystal ball goes

I see the dees finishing bottom 4 again and giving us a top 4 pick while we yet again finish above you and will continue to do so for many more years

B: O'Riordan Melican Mills (c)
HB: Gould Aliir Foot
C: Florent Hewett Dawson
HF: Heeney (vc) McCartin Hayward
F: Papley Blakey Ronke
R: McLean Rowbottom Stephens
I: E Taylor, L Taylor, Clarke, Brand
E: Bell, Stoddart, Maibaum, McInerney
As an outsider, I would have gone for Heeney as captain over Mills.

B: Miller Garthwaite Baker
HB: Vlastuin Balta* Eggmolesse-Smith*
C: Stack Ross Naish
HF: Castagna Chol * Rioli
F: Higgins Coleman-Jones Aarts
R: Soldo Collier-Dawkins Dow Bolton
I: Nankervis, Short, McIntosh, Cumberland

I'm excited by this team. The eight player bolded were in our premiership side while those under-lined were either emergencies for the grand final or out of the side due to injury but would otherwise be in. That's 12 players under 25 that are proven quality players. The asterisked* names are those that played this season at AFL level, for an extended stint. They all showed a huge amount of promise though are still raw. Finally the players who are italics have been smashing it at VFL level (particularly in the VFL Grand Final win) but just haven't been able to break into the team. I'm especially excited about Coleman-Jones - he's a 200cm forward/ruck who is a sensational mark. Collier Dawkins had a break out game in the midfield in the grand final and is a big bodied mid.

So all in all, the future's looking pretty bright for us imho even without knowing how our most recent draftees will preform or whether the likes of Miller and Aarts will develop.

Bring on the future I say!

B Selwood Ablett Danger
HB Martin Houli Rance
C Hodge Mitchell Lewis
HF Bartel Corey Enright
FF Black Voss Aker
I Mackie Burgoyne Scarlett Pickett

FB: Langdon, Kelly, Maynard
HB: Quaynor, Moore (VC), Bianco
C: Phillips, C. Brown, Rantall
HF: Broomhead, Tohill, Daicos
FF: Bosenavulagi, De Goey, Stephenson