Your favourite Premiership? (07, 09, or 11)

Favourite Premiership?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

They were all great, but 2011 wins.

In 2007 I saw the GF at the Sheraton in Bangkok. John Elliot was the MC and was so *******ally drunk that he got carried off at half time when he was supposed to be addressing the audience. That summed up the day. Lots of very happy Australians and their bemused Thai partners getting wasted and witnessing an absolute annihilation. It was a joyful day, but somehow I couldn't really get too swept up. I had been to all three GFs in the 90s and it scarred me. It was a righting of the scales more than anything else.

I loved the game in 2009. I watched it at home with my wife and son and destroyed the sofa when Maxy chased down Clarke in the first quarter. I cursed and groaned at Dasher, viscerally lived the fight back, and temporarily lost my mind in the final few minutes. My Thai wife incidentally became a lifelong Cats fan during that game, initially because of Scarlos arse, but in the dying moments because of the sheer power and grace and glory of the team.

But how good was 2011? So many great moments. Varcoe's goals, bartel's clutch, Johnno's spray at "Sexy Taz", Brucie's awful barracking. The final goal by Ling. our champions retiring on the highest of notes. Even the ridiculous meatloaf and those terrible GF Replica premiership cups made it a special day. However, what made it sweetest was that we didn't have the little maestro, and we had been written off FOR 2 YEARS as too old and too slow, yet we STILL stuck it up them!

Tough people, tough club. So happy that my Dad worked for Alcoa in Perth in the 70s and made it possible for me to be a Catter.

Because we're a long way from done, and as we were written off as "Too old, too slow" last year, it will be as "Too young, too soft" next year. So this will be the sweetest, because it will be the perfect ambush. (And because of 2013, nobody will be the least bit surprised in 2015 or 2017.)

Second is 2011, on purely selfish reasons. I live in Sydney, & October is vacation time for us. Last year it was originally to be to the USA, then it became a Top End holiday. It finally became a Country Victoria holiday, taking in Ballarat, the Great Ocean Road, and then ... coincidence coincidence coincidence ... we just happened to be staying in Geelong on Grand Final Day.

So, unlike 2007 & 2009, I got to experience a Geelong premiership, in Geelong, with Geelong people. The "greatest team of all", in the greatest town of all, and with the greatest fans of all.

I think 2007 & 2011 are on par for different reasons

After going to 4 losing GF's I started to wonder if my Dad and I would ever see ultimate success. When Geelong kicked the first two goals after half time I think we both knew the wait was finally over .

Then 2011 had everything you wanted ,particularly after the rough offseason with Thompson and Ablett.

In 2010 Prelim final I was sitting right next to the Pies cheer squad,lets just say it was a very long night. Then to be lucky enough to have front row seat at 2011 GF again right next to the Pies cheer squad was priceless.

Hawkins turning into the Hulk, Varcoe's goal and the GEEEELONG chant will stay with me forever !

If I absolutely had to pick one it would be 2011 since Geelong were written off at various times, it announced Hawkins as a legitimate force and it gave guys like Podsiadly, Lonergan and West a medallion after years of toil and dashed hopes. 2007 was fantastic for much different reasons (119) and 2009 felt more like an honest grinding victory.

Im going with 07 because ive watched the entire game more than the others which i watch in parts.

I love clinical displays like that. On the big stage makes it more impressive. Cant see that margin record ever being broken. It was the perfect storm, and i picked a 20 goal margin.

Best quarter is Q4 in 09.

Best complete season was 2011.

I'll be honest. I can re-watch the full game from 2007 and 2011 hundreds of times. Whenever I watch the 2009 grand final, I only watch the last 10 minutes.

This, I went in '09 and despite Geelong winning and the intensity, I thought it was an ordinary game.

'07 broke the drought and was beautiful clinical football but '11 was the best for me. Two great sides showing skill in difficult conditions. Was tight for most of the game, but gave you some time in the last quarter when you knew the Cats had won to really enjoy it.

Arf, so hard to decide.
2007 - the one I will never forget - not just the Grand Final, but the whole season. I had grown up thinking I'd never see a flag.
2009 - This was all about claiming back our title as the best. After 2008, I was sure we were better than a one flag team.
2011 - Probably my 'favourite' flag, as the game was amazing and proved all the doubters wrong.

Kicked plenty of behinds from memory.. 119 flattered port :D

Always laugh when watching the '07 grand final with 5AA commentary, and they say Geelong are kicking themselves out of it in the 2nd quarter when we kick 4 or 5 points in a row. They would've had a point if we weren't 50 points up at the time. :D

I love revisiting 07. Complete dominance. Loved the redemption of '09. But favourite is 11. Team written off after Bomber and Ablett leave, plus Lonergan finally gets a medal. All year we heard from Eddie what a wonderful story Andrew Kreaker was, like they had already won the flag, then Tom gets his medal. He was much more deserving. The look on his face when the siren went. Definately the best.

2007 was extraordinary and I didn't relax till mid way through last quarter when I turned to the brother and said 'we can't lose can we'. All those losses -deep scarring -the disppointments all just dropped away, disappeared forever with that kamikaze win. Don't think I have ever seen a better football display.
2009-the noise and tension from the opening minute-didn't let up, so close, such a memorable ending and such redemption.
2011 -the perfect script-loved it so much. Have watched this one the most.
Can't separate them. Very cool.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think everyone can benefit from watching the game winners from each of the Grand Finals:

TBH Chappy's goal was not the game winner, Rooke's behind would be the game winner in 2009.

I went with 2011 as my fave.... but its a tough tough call.... Like some others I can watch 07 and last year over and over (and have done so) but haven't bothered with 09... I think i have watched the last quarter a few times.

07 was amazing, but the problem was it was so emphatic we started to celebrate about half way into the 2nd quarter (secretly we all thought we were home after Jimmys left foot snap in the 1st, but were too scared to say it for fear of jinxing us!!) the 2nd half of the match was a blur for me as I proceeded to get shitfaced lol, its ok brought the dvd the next day at Geelong from a highly ammused merchandise person who didn't believe I had slept from the night before (i had, i passed out by 8 o'clock!!) But it was the breaking of the hoodoo, so emphatic, so incredible... was just sensational

09 was too bloody tense, but the win again incredible, games like that there are always 1 or 2 magic moments that you will never forget.. I still get goosebumps every time i see that chappy snap, and of course the toe poke. The fact it was against the saints was the sweetener... Chappy was right ;) plus it shut up a few saints fans I knew who just had this sense of entitlement to the flag that to this day I still never understand..

last year... well what can you say...
New coach, superstar walks out on us for bags of money... we looked terrible and finished in the prelim the year before... and then come out and do that.. and along the way smacked an arrogant Hawks team in the 1st final, our 90s nemesis in the Weagles and then roll the amazing unbeatable (according to media hype) pies in the GF.... couldn'y have asked for a better finals run!!
Probably the most enjoyable to watch for me as well, tight and tough for 3/4s then we split them open and really got to enjoy the last 10 mins of the game..

But hell its like asking who my favourite player is.... I LOVE THEM ALL!!

I went with 2011 as my fave.... but its a tough tough call.... Like some others I can watch 07 and last year over and over (and have done so) but haven't bothered with 09... I think i have watched the last quarter a few times.

07 was amazing, but the problem was it was so emphatic we started to celebrate about half way into the 2nd quarter (secretly we all thought we were home after Jimmys left foot snap in the 1st, but were too scared to say it for fear of jinxing us!!) the 2nd half of the match was a blur for me as I proceeded to get shitfaced lol, its ok brought the dvd the next day at Geelong from a highly ammused merchandise person who didn't believe I had slept from the night before (i had, i passed out by 8 o'clock!!) But it was the breaking of the hoodoo, so emphatic, so incredible... was just sensational

09 was too bloody tense, but the win again incredible, games like that there are always 1 or 2 magic moments that you will never forget.. I still get goosebumps every time i see that chappy snap, and of course the toe poke. The fact it was against the saints was the sweetener... Chappy was right ;) plus it shut up a few saints fans I knew who just had this sense of entitlement to the flag that to this day I still never understand..

last year... well what can you say...
New coach, superstar walks out on us for bags of money... we looked terrible and finished in the prelim the year before... and then come out and do that.. and along the way smacked an arrogant Hawks team in the 1st final, our 90s nemesis in the Weagles and then roll the amazing unbeatable (according to media hype) pies in the GF.... couldn'y have asked for a better finals run!!
Probably the most enjoyable to watch for me as well, tight and tough for 3/4s then we split them open and really got to enjoy the last 10 mins of the game..

But hell its like asking who my favourite player is.... I LOVE THEM ALL!!

I called the 07 flag when Stevie kicked his first goal (so we were 2 goals up). I looked over to my old man and said "We have this!" he told me to settle down, dont jinx it so I explained to him that the guys we needed to play well were already having a massive influence, Stevie, Chappy, Otto and Moons were involved forward, our midfield was chasing and running hard and our defense was solid, we attacked the ball and the game like we had all year (bar the week before) and I couldnt see us losing.
Everyone would have thought we would be hard to beat half way through the second quarter (probably Nath Abletts 2 goals) and it was official 1 min into the second half when Moons slotted the opening goal.

I called the 07 flag when Stevie kicked his first goal (so we were 2 goals up). I looked over to my old man and said "We have this!" he told me to settle down, dont jinx it so I explained to him that the guys we needed to play well were already having a massive influence, Stevie, Chappy, Otto and Moons were involved forward, our midfield was chasing and running hard and our defense was solid, we attacked the ball and the game like we had all year (bar the week before) and I couldnt see us losing.
Everyone would have thought we would be hard to beat half way through the second quarter (probably Nath Abletts 2 goals) and it was official 1 min into the second half when Moons slotted the opening goal.

You were a lot more confident than I was. I didn't relax until Moons slotted the first goal of the second half. Guess I still had memories of the Eagles game the year before where we'd squandered a 9 goal lead at home.

You were a lot more confident than I was. I didn't relax until Moons slotted the first goal of the second half. Guess I still had memories of the Eagles game the year before where we'd squandered a 9 goal lead at home.

I was exactly the same, although it has been the only Geelong grand final where I've been relaxed enough to be drinking beers during the game.

For me it was 2009 for it helped sooth the hurt that was inflicted the year before and the result wasn't known until Rooke took the mark in the Forward Pocket.

2011 was a better standard of game and helped cement the side as one of the greats.

2007 the whole year felt like some kind of dream but after witnessing 89, 92, 94 & 95 it wasn't until the guard could be let down and the game enjoyed.

Everyone drawing comparisons with picking which child of yours is your favourite are spot on. That's exactly how I feel about it. I'll sum it up by saying that whilst all of my children mean the world to me, I will always have a special place in my heart for my first born, and that's exactly how I feel about the 07 Grand Final.

I chose 2011 simply because we played the Pies and I liked nothing better than beating them to a pulp in that last quarter. 2007 was fantastic, an amazing year and the end of a long drought, but we did play Port and nothing but another premiership was going to prove to the comp that we were the real deal. 2009, the toe poke and Chappy's goal were the stuff of legends. I still have the footage of my son and I spooking on camera after it. Great stuff!

I enjoyed the 2011 final series the most, mostly because we beat Hawthorn and West Coast, teams we have historically struggled against in the Finals. Not only did we make a statement by going on to win the flag, it almost seemed as if the Cats were finishing old business by defeating the Hawks and the Eagles. Was almost poetic.

But 2009 was my favourite. That was a real battle. That was pure grit and determination. We came up against a side that was a true heavy weight. I remember watching the last quarter with neutral friends, and they were stunned at the intensity, at how every step taken and every possession received had to be fought over. It wasnt skilful, it didnt have flair, but it was war. Every player threw themselves at the ball until they had nothing; I remember Ottens being barely able to jump for the ball. And in those last few moments, Rooke became my number 1 hero with that point. Greatest point since Tony Lockett. Never seen such determination from a player to fight for his club and battle to the line. And Taylors massive mark in the dying moments to essentially confirm victory for geelong.

They all had their good moments, but 09 just felt epic.

I feel shattered for St Kilda supporters because if Geelong had lost that, I think it would have destroyed me. Anyway, I could write an entire essay on how awesome 09 was :p

2007, for not only breaking the drought but showcasing pure power football in a way that few have rivalled before or since.

But mainly for breaking the drought. Who among us thought we would ever see this great club win a premiership? 2007 smashed the Grand Final curse and paved the way for this exceptional era.

Remove this Banner Ad

Your favourite Premiership? (07, 09, or 11)

Back