Your teams best 24 in 05

Remove this Banner Ad

silverphoenix

Team Captain
Sep 27, 2004
Other Teams
MIGHTY MAGPIES
Hey guys, just wanted to get the opinions of opposition fans on what they think is your teams best 24.

Ok so it’s the 18 on field, with a 6 man bench.

Fire away

SP

Personally, I think-

B: Chick Glass Wirrpunda
HB:Waters Lynch Hunter
C: Fletcher Cousins Butler
HF:Sampi Gardiner Embley
F:Seaby McDougall Matera

R:Cox Judd Kerr
Int from: Staker, Braun, Stenglein, Banfield, Gaspar, Nicoski

Brad Smith might slot straight in, Wooden would be close.

FB: Nicoski Glass Wirrpunda
HB:Waters Gaspar Hunter
HF:Chick Lynch Embley
FF:Seaby McDougall Matera
R:Gardiner Judd Kerr

Int from: Cox, Staker, Braun, Stenglein, Selwood, Sampi

I think most people would agree that there are quite a few options for the pockets and flanks down back, with the choice of veterans Daniel Chick and Drew Banfield and the experienced David Wirrpunda, Adam Hunter and Tyson Stenglein up against the young guys like Mark Nicoski, Beau Waters and Brett Jones. Darren Glass you would think would be a certainty for full-back, whilst there are two common options for centre half back, the final decision, much depending on match-ups and the fitness of key man Travis Gaspar, is between the great white hope and the Q-ball, Quinten Lynch. The midfield is often the same core group just placed in different positions, which they will mostly rotate through anyway, with the fab-4, Chad Fletcher, Ben Cousins, Daniel Kerr and Chris Judd, joined by Michael Braun, Sam Butler, Beau Waters, Andrew Embley, Tyson Stenglein and perhaps in 2005, Ashley Sampi. Up forward Andrew McDougall (full forward) and Phillip Matera (forward pocket) are first selected, while the battle for CHF is between Michael Gardiner (depending on whether he is able to ruck next season), Travis Gaspar (depending on fitness and match-ups) and Quinten Lynch (depending on whether he is needed down back), while if all else fails a talent by the name of Ashley Hansen or Brent Staker can easily fill in. Mark Seaby and Brad Smith will probably fight it out over the forward pocket role, and again it is dependent on whether Seaby will be needed to provide ruck back-up for Dean Cox (Gardiners ability again is the key). Once the starting 18 is picked there are a few others that are key players and will retain their spot in the 22, but the depth of the squad means that anyone from 16 to 30 could find themselves in the team. However, below is my opinion of the best 22 when everyone is fit and ready to play and under the assumption that Michael Gardiner cannot play in the ruck.

West Coast's Best 22 for Round 1, 2005.

FB: David Wirrpunda - Darren Glass - Beau Waters
HB: Adam Hunter - Quinten Lynch - Tyson Stenglein
C: Michael Braun - Ben Cousins - Andrew Embley
HF: Daniel Kerr - Michael Gardiner - Ashley Sampi
FF: Bradley Smith - Andrew McDougall - Phillip Matera

Ruck: Dean Cox - Chris Judd - Chad Fletcher

Interchange: Travis Gaspar, Sam Butler, Damien Adkins, Daniel Chick, Drew Banfield, Mark Seaby.

Others that could find a spot: Mark Nicoski, Brett Jones, Adam Selwood, Josh Wooden, Rowan Jones, Ashley Hansen, Brent Staker, Kasey Green, Mitch Morton.

If the ruck rules change then Gardiner should go back into the ruck. Hunter has been the best all-round option at CHB to date.

FB: Chick Glass Wirrpunda
HB: Waters Hunter Stenglein
C: Embley Cousins Butler
HF: Sampi McDougall Kerr
FF: Gardiner Smith Matera
R: Cox Judd Fletcher
Int: Banfield Braun Staker Seaby

B: Wirrpunda Glass Hunter
HB: Stenglein Lynch Chick
C: Fletcher Cousins Braun
HF: Sampi Gardiner Embley
F: Seaby McDougall Matera
R: Cox Judd Kerr

Inter: Waters Butler Smith Staker Wooden Banfield

Next in line: Hansen Adkins Gaspar Nicoski

ROWAN JONES IS FINISHED!

I really want guys like Brett Jones, Hansen, Selwood and Morton to get opportunities this year but I just can't see them going ahead of guys in front of them.

.[/QUOTE]
I really want guys like Brett Jones, Hansen, Selwood and Morton to get opportunities this year but I just can't see them going ahead of guys in front of them.[/QUOTE]

It all depends on injuries really. Im sure they will get chances, because there is very little chance of us going injury-free all year.

Its important to have quality players available when some of our best 24 are injured. This builds more confidence and more ability to interchange a larger number of positions.

From our list, I don't think there is anyone to complain about or groan if selected in place of the best 24.

Don't forget that Banners may soon retire; maybe Matera and Chick in the next couple of years. We have to keep building up replacements for them for the future.

This was just off the top of my head, and chances are I've left out someone important..............

FF: Matera, McDougall, Smith
HF: Sampi, Gardiner, Embley
C: Fletcher, Cousins, Kerr
HB: Stenglein, Lynch, Hunter
FB: Chick, Glass, Wirrpunda
FOLL: Cox, Judd, Fletcher
INT: Banfield, Braun, Selwood, Waters, Seaby, Butler

Most of these selections have two shorts playing alongside Glass

Since a lot of teams tend to play 2 talls in the FF line you would think Hunter should be on the 3rd Tall in a Back Pocket if he is not playing CHB

Mind you the whole defence except for Glass is pretty much up in the air with Banfield, Nicoski, Waters, Stenglien, Wirra, Chick and even K Green vying for non KP spots in defence.

A couple of thoughts though !!!!!

Could Stenglien also play CHB, i notice he is pretty good stats wise as a contested mark

I also wouldnt count Chick out as playing foward again either next season

Bestbird said:
Could Stenglien also play CHB, i notice he is pretty good stats wise as a contested mark

Stenglien played some full back for Subiaco in 1997 and '98 before he was drafted however i don't think that he could play FB or CHB at AFL level. My thoughts are that he'll play as a third tall against O'Loughlin-type fowards, when necessary, and be rotated to and from the mid-field where he will be used as a tagger.

thinking about it, i dont think the club would have brought stenglein into the side, and paid such a high price for him to play on a half back flank. he will tag the opposition best midfielder, we have needed a guy to play that role and thats why stenglien has been recruited.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mead said:
Personally, I think-

B: Chick Glass Wirrpunda
HB:Waters Lynch Hunter
HF:Sampi Gardiner Embley
F:Seaby McDougall Matera

R:Cox Judd Kerr
Int from: Staker, Braun, Stenglein, Banfield, Gaspar, Nicoski

Brad Smith might slot straight in, Wooden would be close.

Not a bad effort.

I reckon Braun and Stenglein will start on the ground ahead of Butler and Waters respectively.

FF: Matera-McDougall-Seaby

HF: Butler-Gardiner-Sampi

CL: Embley-Cousins-Kerr

HB: Stenglein-Lynch-Wirrpunda

FB: Hunter-Glass-Chick

FOLL: Cox-Fletcher-Judd

I/C (from): Adkins-Waters-Banfield-Braun-Smith-Wooden

Nicoski and Gaspar just miss out.

The problem is that we have too many good players; just not enough positions. :(

The problem is that we have too many good players; just not enough positions. :([/QUOTE]

Thats why we are going to be a better side in 05 than we were in 04. :)

The fact that names like Green , Carroll and Humm dont appear in our best 24 indicates that we have bettered our list. :D

For the first time in many years we are about to go into a season with some real depth. As is often mentioned you judge the quality of a side not by its best six players but rather its bottom six.

Case in point Brisbane over the past few years has had Copeland , Knotting ,Schattock , McGrath and Hadley as players who make up the numbers, thats why they have been so strong as they would have been starters in most other sides.

Monocle said:
The problem is that we have too many good players; just not enough positions. :([/QUOTE]

Thats why we are going to be a better side in 05 than we were in 04. :)

The fact that names like Green , Carroll and Humm dont appear in our best 24 indicates that we have bettered our list. :D

For the first time in many years we are about to go into a season with some real depth. As is often mentioned you judge the quality of a side not by its best six players but rather its bottom six.

Case in point Brisbane over the past few years has had Copeland , Knotting ,Schattock , McGrath and Hadley as players who make up the numbers, thats why they have been so strong as they would have been starters in most other sides.
Carroll is already delisted.

Eagles_Rock!! said:
Carroll is already delisted.

I am aware of that Eagles- Rock :rolleyes: ,thats why I have stated that we have bettered our list the name of B Jones, R Jones, Nicoski, Banfield and Wooden as backup players , places us in a better position.

Frodo said:
Wirrpunda, Glass, Chick
Nicoski, Staker, Hunter
Embley, Cousins, Banfield
Sampi, Gardiner, Hansen
McDougall, Smith, Fido

Cox, Judd, Fletcher

Int: Kerr, Braun, B,Jones, Stenglein, Waters, Butler

No room for Seaby?

The club must have got it wrong when they named him best rookie for 2004.

No room for Lynch either? Staker hasn't really shown anything at CHB.

No room for Wooden?

I'll be surprised if Kerr, Braun, Waters, Butler and Stenglein start on the bench with Nicoski, Banfield, Hansen and Smith on the ground.

SYDNEY_EAGLE said:
No room for Seaby?

The club must have got it wrong when they named him best rookie for 2004.

No room for Lynch either? Staker hasn't really shown anything at CHB.

No room for Wooden?

I'll be surprised if Kerr, Braun, Waters, Butler and Stenglein start on the bench with Nicoski, Banfield, Hansen and Smith on the ground.
Yea, well eveyone to their opinion. I rate Seaby highly but with Gardy in the side my choice of Ruckmen are Cox and Gardy.

I prefer Lynch at CHF as he doesn't have the pace for CHB.Hunter covered for him last season. Staker is being groomed for CHB, has great skills and I believe will be our best choice. In reality it's one position that has no standout owner.

Wooden is a very good player but we have a wealth of midfielders. Adkins was brilliant at end of last season too.

Frodo said:
I rate Seaby highly but with Gardy in the side my choice of Ruckmen are Cox and Gardy.

I prefer Lynch at CHF as he doesn't have the pace for CHB.Hunter covered for him last season. Staker is being groomed for CHB, has great skills and I believe will be our best choice. In reality it's one position that has no standout owner.

Seaby will be in our best 22 next season without a doubt. You're dreaming if you think otherwise, especially with Gardiner spending less time in the ruck than in previous years.

Did Jakovich "have the pace for CHB"? Lynch might not be the answer at CHB, but no-one has shown much there, and you've removed him from the team altogether.

As for Staker "being groomed for CHB", there's nothing really to suggest that. Maybe you just think he would go OK there. That's different from him "being groomed" for that spot.

You didn't respond to my question about the players you've named on the bench.

Nicoski, Banfield, Hansen and Smith will be battling for spots in our best 22 next season. It's unlikely they will be starting on the ground ahead of proven players like Kerr, Braun and Stenglein, and highly-rated youngsters blooded last year like Waters and Butler.

Banfield especially. He's a veteran - he'll be starting on the bench.

Nicoski, Hansen and Smith have to secure a regular game before you elevate them above proven players.

B: Hunter Glass Wirrpunda
HB: Waters Lynch Stenglein
C: Kerr Cousins Braun
HF: Embley Gardiner Sampi
F: Seaby McDougall Matera
Foll: Cox Judd Fletcher

Int: Smith Butler Wooden Staker Hansen Banfield

No Chick, R. Jones, Adkins or Nicoski

Remove this Banner Ad

Your teams best 24 in 05

Remove this Banner Ad

Back