Your Top 5 -- W@nkers of World Cricket

Remove this Banner Ad

so many interesting comments on here would be funny to see how many of these people you call w***ers give a flying F what you think!

People we all pay to watch in some way or another, interesting.

Is it the Australian way??

Tall poppy syndrome?

Build them up the knock them down!

Or jealousy?

Does make for hilarious reading though.

Like the people who comment on the w***ers are loved by everyone?

can't stand Peter Roebuck. after listening to him commentating on the recent south african tour he just suprised me how little he seemed to know of the game.. even though he's a journalist... it just always seemed like glenn mitchell and his fellow commentators were correcting him and helping him out on simple stats and other things i expected him to know....

in saying this, i don't hate any player really. i respect how good they are.. and i think people are going way overboard on these threads.... i don't think there's too much wrong with a bit of character in the game, otherwise the game will be dead before we know it..

havent read the thread to see if these have been said already but

Graeme Smith
Mark Nicholas
Nel and Lee are givens
Billy Bowden
Sreesanth

harby singh is a dick but at least he backs it up with performance, he always adds a bit of spice to the game.

It's pretty funny to read that most of the supposed "w@nkers" are players who have stood up to Australia, and taken it right up to them. Players like :

Ranatunga, who smashed Warne to all parts and gave Healy a mouthful back of his own.

Pietersen, who is a bit of a playboy, but a gun, no one can deny that, and he always finds that something extra against Australia

Gavaskar, gun of the game, not liked just because he has an opinion not favourable to Aussies.

I think in general, aussie supporters dislike opposition players who simply refuse to be intimidated or take crap by Lee, McGrath, Warne, Watson....etc

Anyway, FWIW, my list :

1) Shane Watson - Arrogant, but has no reason to be. Proven nothing. Sooks like a girl.
2) Andre Nel - See above
3) Sreesanth - Too arrogant, needs to tow it back a bit, and he'll be alright. Really.
4) Healy - Most biased commentator known to man
5) Cronje - Muddied the waters of our great game.

I really don't like the way Brad Hodge has a crack in the media about his own prospects.

Compare him with Bichel and Kasprowicz, and you can see who will be remembered fondly. Bichel, more than anyone, had reason to whinge tos electors, and only really did so publicly in a pretty veiled way in 03/04 when he was dumped from the VB Series finals squad.

Others, like Slater, annoy me as callers, but he's just too eager, that's his problem.

Guys like Shane Watson grate on me, hit for four = head in hands. My enduring image of him is that reaction following a Klusener boundary off him in RSA, 01/02. Still does it circa 2009. Please. And we don't need to hear 'I'm back, yes I'm back, fitter than ever, gonna have no worries with the hammy/back/shoulder/knee now' every campaign/tour. Get the runs/wickets and you'll have respect mate,. Bad run with lucky, but goodness me, he is hardly the most loved.

The there are the obvious types like Harbajan and Sreesanth. Spare me, please.

Can I include all the Indian fans who still whinge about the 2007/8 series on YouTube? Have a look (and a laugh).

Will also add Clarke in here. Used to love the guy circa 2002-2003, but have rapidly fallen off his bandwagon since. Not able to pin it down completely, but there's just something about him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Most of the Indian Cricket team. The Indian public treat them like Gods so they end up thinking they are:eek:

Matthew Gayden

Brad Bogg

Brett 'pee pee' Lee

Damien's Fartin

Stuey's a dill
Brad Hogg is a legend! Loved the way he played and his personality, always loved having fun with the crowd (well from the Adelaide Oval On Dayer's I've been too), all round great bloke. Why would you classify him as a w***er?

can't stand Peter Roebuck. after listening to him commentating on the recent south african tour he just suprised me how little he seemed to know of the game.. even though he's a journalist... it just always seemed like glenn mitchell and his fellow commentators were correcting him and helping him out on simple stats and other things i expected him to know....

I don't mind Roebuck, his well educated and writes some great articles, like all fellows though he has his moments of stupidity, or kneejerck reactions. But journos must push on, as in life, celebrate success, but don't indulge in celebration. Learn from failure, but do not wallow.

Mitchell and Maxwell would have to be some of the worst commentators going around. If Australia is losing they become abrupt, and unlistenable.

I remember in the fist test in SA, Australia had made 466 and were bowling. Johnson had got a wicket in his first over, Hilfenhaus took the new ball from the other end. Now, Hilfenhaus is a genuine swing bowler, under favourable conditions it makes sense to give him the new ball.

Yet Maxwell or Mitchell one of them, start harping on about why Siddle should be given the new ball. 2nd ball Hilfy gets a wicket.

Perfect example of how easy it is to captain from the com box.

1. Michael Clarke
2. Michael Clarke
3. Stuart Clark
4. Michael Clarke
5. Stuart Broad

I don't mind Roebuck, his well educated and writes some great articles, like all fellows though he has his moments of stupidity, or kneejerck reactions. But journos must push on, as in life, celebrate success, but don't indulge in celebration. Learn from failure, but do not wallow.

Such as this?

Cricketer sentenced for caning trainees
19 October, 2001

Former Somerset cricket captain Peter Roebuck has been given a suspended jail sentence after admitting caning three young cricketers he had offered to coach.

Roebuck, 45, of Exmouth in Devon, pleaded guilty to three charges of common assault involving three South African teenagers between 1 April and 31 May, 1999.

He had pleaded not guilty to three counts of causing actual bodily harm, which was accepted by the prosecution.

Roebuck was sentenced to four months in jail for each count, with the sentences suspended for two years, at Taunton Crown Court.

He was also ordered to pay £820 costs.

Judge Graham Hume Jones told Roebuck he had abused his power and influence over the boys, who were far from home and far from friends and family.

The court heard how Roebuck caned the young cricketers on the buttocks after they failed to meet his standards during coaching sessions at his former home in Taunton.

Roebuck met the three young cricketers, Keith Whiting, Reginald Keats and Henk Lindeque, who were all 19 at the time of the offences, while working as a commentator abroad.

He invited the men to live at his home near Taunton and promised to coach them.

'House rules'

He said he warned each young man beforehand that he would use corporal punishment if they failed to obey his "house rules".

He also said he thought they were from a culture in which corporal punishment was accepted.

The offences came to light when one of the cricketers showed the marks Roebuck had caused to the secretary of Bishop's Lydeard Cricket Club, who passed the matter to the police.

Paul Mendelle, defending, said Roebuck was a "complex man" who set high standards for himself and expected them of others, and who had used corporal punishment only to encourage the teenagers.

Accepted decision

Mr Mendelle said more than 20 other promising young cricketers had stayed at Roebuck's house while receiving coaching and had never complained about any inappropriate behaviour.

Roebuck, now a cricket journalist and commentator, maintained that he had never detected any unhappiness among the men at the time of the incidents.

Roebuck said: "Obviously I misjudged the mood and that was my mistake and my responsibility and I accept that."

He is now to return to Australia to resume his media career.

How he got his job back after this is a mystery...

There is always 2 sides to every story, i have read different versions over the years. I think Roebuck is a great journo, well respected and his views carry a lot of weight and come from a wealth of experience.

He is an interesting character, there is no doubt about that, I once heard Kerry O'Keefe say that when they toured India to provide ABC commentary Roebuck could often be found in a one-star Indian restaurent, sitting at a table for one in a dark corner reading a book by candle light.

Peter Roebuck and Sunny Gavasker are certified pompous w***ers. Some of the whining on the ABC coming from non cricketing commentators (who think their words should be gospel) ie mitchell, maxwell is very w***erish. Geoff Boycott is one stubborn w***er too.

Harbahgan Singh
Shoaib Aktar
Andrew Symonds
Ricky Ponting

Why do people hate Sharma and Z Khan i know they given the Aussie batsman a tough time off late

Remove this Banner Ad

Your Top 5 -- W@nkers of World Cricket

Remove this Banner Ad

Back