Player Watch Zac Taylor

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m sorry, but you can’t blame lack of development as the reason why Jones, Ned, Galluci and Mcasey are not up to it. Recruiting is not an easy job. But let’s call a spade a space here. Hamish has failed at the most crucial phase of our rebuild. You can’t argue against that.
Our biggest rebuild occurred end of 2019 and 2020, no doubt the McAsey pick end of 2019 was a massive stuff up but he has gotten nearly all the picks from end of 2020 spot on hasn't he?????

I’m sorry, but you can’t blame lack of development as the reason why Jones, Ned, Galluci and Mcasey are not up to it. Recruiting is not an easy job. But let’s call a spade a space here. Hamish has failed at the most crucial phase of our rebuild. You can’t argue against that.
I can but this is the Zac Taylor thread and it will just lead to more back and forth from the usual suspects

The fact the club is looking to blame its drafting suggests they have no intention of blaming Nicks in this department.

Our drafting since 2020 has been good.
Our drafting from 2014-2019 was deplorable

We can bitch about Nicks but it was incumbent on him to give our super draft picks (2018) plenty of exposure when he arrived and obviously McAsey as the pick 6 of 2020

Since we bought in TT, Pedlar, Rachele, Soligo, Max etc over the last couple of years our talent level has rocketed

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Last edited:
Its more too do with selection policies in the context of the current sides needs.

If we are a top 8 side, you play your best 22 every week. No question. You pick the next best player to come in.

We are not a top 8 side, we have been a bottom 8 side for the last 7 years. Therefor every opportunity should be taken to talent identify and select young players on the back of talent identification. You must also punish poor form to create selection opportunities for these players. The best sides do this, thats why they rise to finals contention so quickly and its also why some of consistently best sides like Geelong stay on top. They bring in they put effort into talent identification and development and take opportunities at selection.
Not having a go, but which clubs have successfully played more kids than us when coming from bottom 2/ bottom 4?

Gold Coast, previously Carlton and now North have unsuccessfully done it, but I'm not aware of the clubs that have got it right, but at least one should have. The balance of opportunity (but playing in more losses) and structure (but less kids given games) to get the quickest/ best rebuild would be an interesting study.

Have been meaning to look it up, but haven't gotten to it yet.

Not having a go, but which clubs have successfully played more kids than us when coming from bottom 2/ bottom 4?

Gold Coast, previously Carlton and now North have unsuccessfully done it, but I'm not aware of the clubs that have got it right, but at least one should have. The balance of opportunity (but playing in more losses) and structure (but less kids given games) to get the quickest/ best rebuild would be an interesting study.

Have been meaning to look it up, but haven't gotten to it yet.

Collingwood have just 13 players on their list from 2020 season. They win!

There are 3 areas, all of which need to have questions asked about them:
  • Talent Identification & Selection (primarily Reid & Ogilvie).
  • Player Development (primarily Godden)
  • Team Selection (primarily Nicks & assistant coaches)
My personal opinion is that our player development has been poor, and the lack of pro-active planning to provide opportunities for our developing youngsters at AFL level is diabolical. I think talent identification needs to be looked at, but I think it is the least egregious of the 3 main areas.

pumping games into plebs like Murphy and McHenry says a lot about how poor our talent identification has been.

Our seating since 2020 has been good.

We can bitch about Nicks but it was incumbent on him to give our super draft picks (2018) plenty of exposure when he arrived and obviously McAsey as the pick 6 of 2020

Since we bought in TT, Pedlar, Rachele, Soligo, Max etc over the last couple of years our talent level has rocketed

2014 draft haul of Jake Lever, Mitch McGovern and Reilly O'Brien is deplorable? Tough marker!

2015 Wayne Milera, Tom Doedee, Hugh Greenwood and Alex Keath deplorable?

Darcy Fogarty doen't look too bad?

Picked up some pretty handy players late/rookie too in that period.

2014 draft haul of Jake Lever, Mitch McGovern and Reilly O'Brien is deplorable? Tough marker!

True it’s not all on Hamish. Fair call

But out of that list Fogarty is the only one contributing to the team (I am well over ROB as a player) - Milera cruelled by injury.

That’s 2-3 players on the list over a 6 year period

(Log in to remove this ad.)

its the 2016 draft of Galluci and Poholke and the 2018 drafting of Jones, 2018 drafting of McHenry and the 2019 draft of McAsey that has people up in arms.

However aside from 2016, we drafted pretty much to the phantom draft rankings of the players. I do think people need to put these things into perspective.

1. Drafting is an educated lottery
2. the average afl career is less than 5 years which means most draftees fail.
3. just 30% of all draftees make 50 games on average and just because they make it to 50 games doesnt mean they will make it to 100. This does hurt though because players selected around Galluci have gone onto have decent AFL careers.
4. For every failure there are wins.

its the 2016 draft of Galluci and Poholke and the 2018 drafting of Jones, 2018 drafting of McHenry and the 2019 draft of McAsey that has people up in arms.

However aside from 2016, we drafted pretty much to the phantom draft rankings of the players. I do think people need to put these things into perspective.

3. just 30% of all draftees make 50 games on average and just because they make it to 50 games doesnt mean they will make it to 100. This does hurt though because players selected around Galluci have gone onto have decent AFL careers.
None of McAsey, Jones or McHenry are the reach people make them out to be.

Remembering this board's favourite for our pick was Jackson Hately.

Our drafting since 2020 has been good.

You know McHenry played this year even when it was clear he was a dud? Jones was also playing poorly this year and still getting games until injured.

None of McAsey, Jones or McHenry are the reach people make them out to be.

Remembering this board's favourite for our pick was Jackson Hately.
lol. So because some posters wanted Hately excuses Hamish stuffing up 3 first rounders?

Never change Bicks.

And I thought this was the Zac Taylor thread.

You know McHenry played this year even when it was clear he was a dud? Jones was also playing poorly this year and still getting games until injured.

Can add Murphy to the list. Even his good games are merely stock standard by most average afl players. For a small forward and only kicking 5 goals suggest he doesnt do no where near enough.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Zac Taylor

Remove this Banner Ad

Back