Zac walks out of St. Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

I think GWS may be able to take him, but then that may count as their one "uncontracted" from St Kilda, meaning they won't be able to go after Goddard next year. If I were them I think I'd rather Goddard, just quietly.

i am unsure of this if we delist him

But you look at his record over the past 3 - 4 years, he rarely has goals kicked on him, he rarely coughs up the ball, he is a pretty good decision maker and whenever he is flung forward he usually bags a goal.

Exactly how many goals has Slack Dawson kicked in his career ?

I think your stretching it a bit to include in his skills that he usually bags a goal when he goes forward.:rolleyes:

Dawson gives away to many free kicks for a full back and he isn't predictable to his teammates in the way he plays. If I was a Saints fan I would be happy to see the back of him.

It's a bit weird that people are laughing at the idea of Dawson getting 300k a year, I mean we are talking about the fullback of a team that competed for 3 flags and was, for a time, the most dominant outfit in the league.
People carried on like it was some great coup to pay Mitch Clark, who has achieved way way less than Dawson, 3 million over 4 years, as if somehow that's a great deal for Melbourne yet 1/4 of that for Dawson is somehow overpaying?
How does that work?

Seriously have to wonder about Ross Lyon.

I couldn't understand Dawson over Max in 2009, then he alienates Ball and walks out on St Kilda without notice and leaves a salary cap mess behind. Now he wants Dawson at Freo who should actually be pushing a few also rans out and loading up with young talent. Dawson is more of the same - actually exactly the same - that didn't quite get his last club there.

Will never stop laughing at Fremantle if true. Farcical at best.

Yet apparently we're stupid for not offering Mitch Clark near $600K + a year!
I think our drafting and trading has been pretty bloody spot on the last few years so carry on Gents, nothing to see here...

It's a bit weird that people are laughing at the idea of Dawson getting 300k a year, I mean we are talking about the fullback of a team that competed for 3 flags and was, for a time, the most dominant outfit in the league.
People carried on like it was some great coup to pay Mitch Clark, who has achieved way way less than Dawson, 3 million over 4 years, as if somehow that's a great deal for Melbourne yet 1/4 of that for Dawson is somehow overpaying?
How does that work?

I don't think you're overpaying.

But it's Zac Dawson.

If freo need a tall defender why not take Dawson, the average AFL player salary is 350,000 next year i think, so his below the average, which would actaully be way below a normal starting 22 salary as the all first year players bring it down.

I dont think his a bad get... his not a great player but his handy, and if he fills a void then go get him, wont cost much

How does that work?

Freo supporters already changing their tone and coming out to bat for Dawson.

I feel a great disturbance in the force. It was as if a million Fremantle fans cried out at once and were suddenly silenced.

Classic. +1 internets

Classic. +1 internets

they have to now. just can't wait for freo supporters every week batting for dawson!!!!:D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Changing our tone? What was our tone to begin with? I don't know if any of us are claiming him to be the best player in the comp- he is what he is.

Everyone slapped Melbourne on the back for OVERPAYING THE HELL out of Mitch Clark yet now we're interested in a reasonably average player for a reasonably average offer and we've lost our friggin minds? I can't keep up...

How?

He is an OK defender, no superstar but in a Freo context - he would walk into our 22 due to a dearth of defenders who can play on talls.

Anytime you can address a need for your club and only outlay a PSD pick - why would you expect us not to be OK with it.

Bit like Port got Renouf - he fills a need. 14 other clubs would say no thanks but the value of a player alters from club to club.

I'd be happy with Bower, Dawson or any player who can start to take over from Grover who is on his last contract. Grover is no star but he performs a role, Dawson likewise with McPharlin and SCOS, would be our #3 defender.

Curious, who plays FB at Freo now?

Does someone potentially miss out with Zacs recruitment, on the assumption that under Ross he will be best 22?

Does someone potentially miss out with Zacs recruitment, on the assumption that under Ross he will be best 22?
No one will miss out. That's the problem with Freo's list at the moment. Not a single promising KPP under 22.

Dawson's 25, so he has a few more years in him. If we ever draft young key defenders, they can develop while we've got players capable of playing each week in those positions.

Id say predominantly McPharlin but if the match ups dictate he does go to CHB and Grover/SCOS.

Dawson to FB probably pressures Grover or Faulks.

Personally I'd see the advantage being SCOS taking a medium forward not a big, plus the rebound freedom that McPharlin would enjoy.

Also if we go loose man, I'd much rather this be someone like McPharlin or SCOS than Ibbotson/Duffield. The bigger mobile guys impact the contests far more and make entries a lot harder too.

Seriously have to wonder about Ross Lyon.

I couldn't understand Dawson over Max in 2009,

other than not having played in 5 weeks, cold wet weather and 6 soft tissue injuries in his last 30 games?

then he alienates Ball and walks out on St Kilda without notice and leaves a salary cap mess behind.

I can't see how matching outside offers on Ball would have helped St Kilda's salary cap.

Now he wants Dawson at Freo who should actually be pushing a few also rans out and loading up with young talent. Dawson is more of the same - actually exactly the same - that didn't quite get his last club there.

I'm sure Freo will be devastated to know that more of the same will get them to within 10 minutes of a flag, twice.

Is Morabito just another rover on your list ? Aiming to hand him Schammer's old role ?

He applied for Schammer's role but he can kick so he didn't get 2nd interview.

The role of escaped goat looks certain to go to Johnson or Anthony...stay tuned.

Remove this Banner Ad

Zac walks out of St. Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Back