Toast Zak Butters appreciation thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Butters is my favoruite player since robbie gray. But i will admit those two bumps, i got really pissed off at hime due to not tackling. I never really get mad at him tbh.

When Butters is on, he is basically unstoppable.
At the start of the 3rd quarter against Freo, he was going off.

One of the most intelligent body players.

His dishes out to other players is almost unique. He's like a point guard. There was a play on the half forward where Butters won the ball but contorted his body the other way to get the ball out to IIRC Mead who hit a lead on the chest. I don't there are any other players out there who can do that, that is, to be getting a difficult hard ball but also dishes in a nanosecond to the best option even if it is the hardest.

Butters is my favoruite player since robbie gray. But i will admit those two bumps, i got really pissed off at hime due to not tackling. I never really get mad at him tbh.
He's a serial offender. One of the very few negatives to his game

Fair call I guess , he does need to be careful this day and age .
That's the bigger issue here.

Zak Butters is getting called out on national TV for executing two perfectly legal bumps under the rules of the game.

When surely the focus of a national footy discussion program shouldn't be on individual players, but on the continuing lack of clarity and leadership of the AFL on whether the bump should be outlawed from the game because of the risk it brings of injury?

Why is that risk of serious injury and and a subsequent lengthy suspension from an outcome from an action that is allowed under the rules of our game levelled solely on the players instead of the CEO of the organisation that has sole responsibility for those rules?

Reminds me of the huge efforts made by Jackie Stewart in F1 to force the Formula 1 organisation and its constructor teams to take responsibility for major changes in car safety and track design when the culture at the time was for the drivers themselves to assume responsibility for their own safety (the multiple deaths of drivers each season being seen as just a sad consequence of the nature of the sport).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Care to offer a counter-opinion?

Shouldn't have to, but players have been taught how to bump since they were old enough to kick a ball. It's an ingrained skill, often made in a split second decision when you consider how quick AFL is these days.
Just because the league has effectively killed the bump as we know it as little as a week ago, doesn't mean that someone who chooses to, is dumb.

This isn't even taking into account the fact that Zak's hip and shoulder caused no harm whatsoever.

Shouldn't have to, but players have been taught how to bump since they were old enough to kick a ball. It's an ingrained skill, often made in a split second decision when you consider how quick AFL is these days.
Just because the league has effectively killed the bump as we know it as little as a week ago, doesn't mean that someone who chooses to, is dumb.

This isn't even taking into account the fact that Zak's hip and shoulder caused no harm whatsoever.

The majority of players are able to play the game without bumping, there's no reason why Zak can't do the same. If he gets that bump on Fyfe even slightly wrong he's sitting next to Houston for the rest of the season. It's not worth the risk, he needs to get with the program.

The majority of players are able to play the game without bumping, there's no reason why Zak can't do the same. If he gets that bump on Fyfe even slightly wrong he's sitting next to Houston for the rest of the season. It's not worth the risk, he needs to get with the program.

You can say that about any action on the field. Get a tackle slightly wrong and it's weeks too.
It's a high risk contact sport.

So you're saying just because there is now extreme risk of being rubbed out for a few weeks by opting to bump rather than tackle, bumping is still the smart option because of some sort of sentimentality of 'that's how the game should be played'?

Secondly, why bump anyway? You might send the player a little off course, but they'll likely retain possession of the ball anyway. Instead, if Butters had tackled on that occasion he would have caught the oppo holding the ball.

It just makes no sense to opt to bump these days considering both potential ramifications as well as actual impact on the game.

I agree with Teekray. Zak plays on the edge, but it was a dumb decision to bump there both from an in play perspective and from a longer term potential suspension perspective.

A tackle is basically always the better option.

So you're saying just because there is now extreme risk of being rubbed out for a few weeks by opting to bump rather than tackle, bumping is still the smart option because of some sort of sentimentality of 'that's how the game should be played'?

Secondly, why bump anyway? You might send the player a little off course, but they'll likely retain possession of the ball anyway. Instead, if Butters had tackled on that occasion he would have caught the oppo holding the ball.

It just makes no sense to opt to bump these days considering both potential ramifications as well as actual impact on the game.

Because decisions are made quickly. It's a fast game. Butters didn't line the guy up, he just chose to bump in the spare of the moment. Often times these kinds of actions are made out of instinct - it's not like he lined him up from metres away.

I'm sure if he had his time again he would have tackled the guy. Doesn't make him "really dumb."

TeeKray is right.

At the moment, the bump is being demonised for a 5 weeks holiday so you have to put it in the back pocket for a while.

If Fyfe loses his footy a bit and his head moves downwards, Zak is hanging out with Houston and the media will talk about him as being dirty.

You have to be prudent and read the room sometimes.

Finals are more important than a bump.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Zak Butters appreciation thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back