Autopsy Round 4, 2024: Richmond v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought the most telling comment in the presser was his acknowledgment that “our midfield is spluttering”. Hard to be a top side or contender with that happening. Dow, Windy, Clark, Henry, Crouch, Wood. All full of run and all missing.

True but none are amazing/elite players.
Seb ross playing a good game for instance isn't any worse than crouch, dow, windy, clark playing well.
Net result being- even if/when those injured guys are all available again- it's not going to be some gigantic improvement.

It's not like we've got a bont or petracca on the sidelines.

Plus if we are relying on zero injuries to have a halfway competitive midfield- that's nuts.

We are always going to have some injuries.

Long story short- even with a fully fit list- our midfield is still very ordinary

True but none are amazing/elite players.
Seb ross playing a good game for instance isn't any worse than crouch, dow, windy, clark playing well.
Net result being- even if/when those injured guys are all available again- it's not going to be some gigantic improvement.

It's not like we've got a bont or petracca on the sidelines.

Plus if we are relying on zero injuries to have a halfway competitive midfield- that's nuts.

We are always going to have some injuries.

Long story short- even with a fully fit list- our midfield is still very ordinary
Agreed we'd be in the bottom few for midfield quality regardless. No other midfield has been hit to the point of Ryan Byrnes starting at the first centre bounce though.

really don’t see the hate towards Pou in the midfield . Still had another 6 tackles. Just keep pumping time into him when we can.
It's also not like he is keeping anyone out of the midfield either.

If we ever want to improve in there, we need to give him (and Owens) minutes in there to become better.

Pou's start to the season hasn't been great. He seems very fumbly which is surprising as he was one of the standouts during pre-season.

I wonder whether negotiating his new contract or whether he is in two-minds about re-signing is weighing on his mind?
It's probably the 90kg 30yo oppo players on his mind. Pou puts a lot of pressure on himself and he's very young. Realistically he has another 2 years before questions begin to get asked.

Pou's start to the season hasn't been great. He seems very fumbly which is surprising as he was one of the standouts during pre-season.

I wonder whether negotiating his new contract or whether he is in two-minds about re-signing is weighing on his mind?
His last 2-3 weeks of preseason were interrupted with hip soreness so that would have had an impact and contributed to his slower start.

I think with Pou , look for moments. Take his second qtr last week. When busted through the contest on a couple of occasions.

Used his right foot a couple times too.

Just from last year think he has at the very least improved his tackling.

I also think he’s started to use his spinning in and out of congestion a little bit more.

I still think it will just take one break out game for his confidence to skyricket.

It’s just about putting it all together.

He works so hard so no doubt he’ll get there.

It must be hard to barrack for a team with SOOO many poor players.

EPqsw0Q.gif

Is it happening again?

Has the Ross Lyon defensive curse moved in again?

Are we now going to be a stodgy, move the ball slowly low scoring type of side again.

I remember RLs first preseason, there was all this hype we were going to be quick by hand and footy and move the ball quickly, remember the training watchers gleefully reporting in training drills where the ball could only be held onto for a second or two.

Seems like we are anything but that.
Who knows but with around 8 or 9 players missing they did ok to win a game.

Wood , Crouch , Clark , Webster , Henry , Howard , Windhager , Dow , Hayes

Look I'm no Lyon fan but missing so many senior players who I expect to be in our best 22 he is doing pretty good.( missing say 9 first team players is close to 50% of the starting line up )

What’s likely weighing on his mind is he isn’t impacting games like he thinks he should be…he’s a kid in a hurry that hasn’t learned to be patient

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Please guys, Pou is 19. It seems unless a players isn't a Cripps or Bont within 10 games as a teenager they are on the scrapheap.
Let the kid mature and develop without undue expectations.
How's Tsatsas, Humphrey, McKenzie, Clark and Gibney going in comparison ( used Tsatsis as that pick 5 shaped the next 5).

Would say Pou has done as well as any on that list and is younger than all of them.

As for Owens being quiet. We may have a problem where he overtrained preseason.

Because of his overtraining, he was put on laps for about 3 week. Sounds strange however I have heard of players overtraining leading to them.not being in peak playing fitness.
May have happened to chito. Caused an interruption to his preseason training loads and build up.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

For everyone bagging Norwood oval as “not AFL standard” let me ask you this - were you there today ?
I was .
When the draw came out, I was annoyed that we had been drawn to play at Norwood , rather than Adelaide Oval . But let me tell you it was one of the most enjoyable days at the footy I have had in a long time.

The playing surface was immaculate- I can’t imagine a single player or coach had a problem with the playing surface .
I didn’t mind that it was a bit on the narrow side - it made watching the play in the middle and the other side easier.
As a spectator I felt closer to the action and more involved with an AFL a game than I have in years. That game would have been nowhere near as enjoyable as a spectator had it been played at Marvel.
Sure, it only holds 10,000 people and the facilities were a reminder of the 80s and 90s but this game took me back to the game I fell in love with as a kid.
No , I wouldn’t want us to play all our home games on an oval like that , but playing 1 or 2 games a year is a beautiful reminder of the suburban roots of the game.

Honestly some of you need to get off your high horses.
I reckon if they played on a basketball court, or maybe two joined together it would be an amazing spectacle. But still not a suitable AFL ground.

Sure, both teams had to play on it, but so would both on the double basketball court. Spectacle and same conditions do make it right.

The whole backline performed well but Wilkie stood out for me. In a few big moments, there he was, like a wall of rock. Back to his best after a poor game last week.

I knew we could turn it around but I was surprised how well we did after half time. We stopped their ball movement and dominated the contest.

Worries for me are King’s goalkicking, the balance of our forward line and the decision-making in transition. We do some strange things under pressure.
King should kick anything between 40 and 60m out - pass the rest! He has developed an absolutely booming boot!

I think with Pou , look for moments. Take his second qtr last week. When busted through the contest on a couple of occasions.

Used his right foot a couple times too.

Just from last year think he has at the very least improved his tackling.

I also think he’s started to use his spinning in and out of congestion a little bit more.

I still think it will just take one break out game for his confidence to skyricket.

It’s just about putting it all together.

He works so hard so no doubt he’ll get there.

Yeah agreed. I think his main challenge at the moment is that he’s not quite ready to take tackles, ride through them and give the disposal. He always looks a bit rushed when getting contested footy - one of the hardest things to do in the game. So he gives it off too quickly which is hard for his teammates and easy for opposition. He’ll get there, that needs more experience that’s all.

his posts are fine, it's people replying/trying to argue the point against an obvious troll that is annoying.. also let's not go overboard, dying on a hill named cooper sharman doesn't quite qualify as wit

It does qualify as a wit of one specific sort.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It must be hard to barrack for a team with SOOO many poor players.

We spent a decade rebuilding out of finals and utterly irrevevant... and this is what we have to show for it?

Mason wood is a devastating loss to our best 22.

Mason Wood.

We are pinning our midfield hopes on Paddy Dow.

Paddy Dow

State Of The Union Republican Response GIF by PBS NewsHour

Remove this Banner Ad

Back