Competitions The Pieman 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

DW can I swap JJ for Bailey smith

So Naughton, treloar, Dunkley, Bailey Smith and Williams as my final team

Holy batman DW, what the heck is going on here these days? You skip 12 months of the Pieman and the whole place turns upside down! Sort of have no idea how this is going to work, but I'll throw my hat in the ring anyway.

Treloar x 2
English x2
Bontempelli

Thanks DW

Holy batman DW, what the heck is going on here these days? You skip 12 months of the Pieman and the whole place turns upside down! Sort of have no idea how this is going to work, but I'll throw my hat in the ring anyway.

Treloar x 2
English x2
Bontempelli

Thanks DW
Haha ... you did OK for someone who has no idea! :thumbsu:

(results when I've checked everything)

PATIENCE FOLKS ...
As if Morrisgate wasn't enough turmoil for one night, Bevo goes and switches the side around a few minutes before the bounce. I went out at 5pm and everything was running to plan. I got home at 7 and the thread was running hot with late changes. What is going on!!

So that has had the Pieman elves working overtime tonight trying to clarify who wanted which late changes and who got which subs.
I've even had to generate a random team for someone who forgot to enter.

I've done a first run of the results but I want to check everything first. So I won't be doing the write-up until a bit later on Thursday. Hope you don't mind waiting. An ounce of QA is worth more than a pound of apology.

Random Team
There was one entrant who said "I'm in" and then failed to lodge a team. It was our reigning Pieman Wocka !

As I said way back on page 1 if anybody says they're in but then forgets to lodge a team for Rd 1, I will generate a random team for them so they don't lose too much ground. I have also taken an executive decision not to apply the proposed 20% reduction on their score. Not because I'm feeling generous but it would just be too hard to program into the Pieman engine and not worth the effort. Also in this case it's only for a small number of points that aren't worth quibbling over. And anyway, a random team is usually punishment enough.

The random team was
Wocka *Cordy34Keath80Treloar19Bontempelli12Richards325x1177

(It could have been worse Wocka. Charlie B was trying to load you up with multiple Keaths! 😂)

Substitutes
Substitutes were also applied according to the special formula used for Round 1, i.e. the player not in your team who has the lowest handicap (see full details in the rules posted just after the OP):
54Bulldog16: Bont (replacing JJ)​
Boyd oh Boyd: 2x Naughton (2x JJ)​
cecil: Naughton (JJ)​
Charlie Bucket: 2x Naughton (2x JJ)​
cleveland: Weightman (JJ)​
dish licker: Naughton (JJ)​
dogwatch: weightman (JJ)​
Floridog: Bailey Smith (JJ)​
RandomDog: Naughton (Martin)​
ScottyDogg: Naughton (JJ)​
ScragCity: Naughton (JJ)​
StringyDog: Naughton (Martin)​
TedDougChris: Naughton (JJ)​
weltschmerz: Weightman (JJ)​
Teams
There are 46 teams this year - great effort everyone!
After subs etc the final Rd 1 teams looked like this. I will do a further check of these myself (because of so many new entries in 2022 and the rush of late changes) but in the meantime feel free to let me know if you think your team is not as requested.

1647443242199.png

PIEMAN RESULTS v Melbourne ROUND 1

Well this has been a crazy 24 hours. Let's just focus on the footy for a moment. More specifically on the Pieman.

Everything checks out. Looks like the teams are all correct and the Pieman spreadsheet looks to be working OK.

Most people should be happy with the subs they got for the late withdrawals of JJ and Martin. (See the above post for a list of allocated subs). Everybody except Floridog picked up points with their sub. Some even picked up Naughton twice! That's a handy 64 point return on somebody who wasn't even in their original team.

The KELVIN (and The PIEMAN since it's round 1)

Congratulations to first timer Foxman98 who has snared a Kelvin with his first attempt. And with it he also heads the Pieman leaderboard for 2022. Auspicious start! 54Bulldog16 had a sub (Bont) and a double helping of Treloar to take him into second place, while dogwatch picked up 13 points with his sub (Weightman) to get third spot. Six others cracked the 100 and nobody got a duck. In fact there were only 4 scores under 50. So while it was a disappointing match result for the Dogs we still got a good spread of scores in the Pieman.

Not a great start for past winners though. Of the 9 past Piemen in the comp this year five of them are in the bottom 6. This includes the hapless Wocka who didn't get his team in on time and ended up with a randomly generated team. Still 50 points is better than nothing.

Somewhat surprisingly nobody picked up the 20 bonus points for picking five different goalkickers.

1647510477294.png

Pieman Player of the Week (and the Year)

Late inclusion Hayden Crozier drilled the first goal and with that he also took out Pieman Player of the Week.

1647511326847.png

That's enough for Round 1. However a special notice is coming up regarding Round 2...

Last edited:
Special Arrangements for Round 2

My posts are going to be a bit sparse for Round 2 as I'll be on an island with no internet coverage (yes they do exist). I'll probably be out of all contact from Wednesday morning until Saturday night so I won't even know the result of our game against the Blues until 2 days after it's over. At least if Bevo cracks it again in his presser I'll miss all the hullabaloo.

None of that should stop the Pieman proceeding but it does mean I'll be VERY late posting results for Round 2. Not before Wednesday 30th March.

Here's what will happen:
  • This Sunday - I'll post handicaps for all 40 or so available players (since I won't be around for the Rd 2 team announcement).
  • Monday-Thursday - as normal you can put your teams in any time up to the official match start time.
  • Thursday night 24th March - Round 2 game v Carlton
  • Friday-Saturday - crickets
  • Sunday-Tuesday - I'll be back on the mainland but armed only with a phone so not a lot from me, but I'll be checking the Pieman thread of course.
  • Wednesday 30th March - I'm back home. I'll get the Rd 2 results out as soon as I can. I'm also anticipating that by then the selected 26 will have been announced for our Rd 3 game v Sydney so I'll post those handicaps on Wednesday too.
  • Thursday night 31st March - Round 3 game v Sydney

Sorry for the inconvenience. It doesn't happen often and normal service should be resumed for Round 3. The comp is designed to run for a few days without needing me around.

A couple of reminders of how any anomalies are dealt with. Worth mentioning seeing I'll be away.
  1. If for any reason I fail to publish handicaps for any given round then the handicaps from the previous week will apply. (It has never happened, but just saying.)
  2. If for any reason you don't get your selections in (or you choose not to change your team) you will get the same team you had for Round 1. Subs will apply of course if any of your default team don't play or are named as the medical sub.

Last edited:
dogwatch - just to clarify, last time I played this it was one team all year. Am I correct in thinking you can change your team each week now?
Yes that's right. But you also have the option of keeping the same side if you don't want to tinker every week. Or if you forget to name your team.

If you don't lodge a new team next week you get the same side you had for Round 1 (but be aware some of their handicaps might have changed). If any of those carry-over players are injured/omitted you get a substitute (see the rules on subs on page 1).

So you can still have a set-and-forget team like you did in the old days if that's your preference. But you can jump in at any point in the season and change it if you like. The only difference is now you are guaranteed five players running out for you every week. In the past if you had a few LTIs that was pretty much season over. Handicaps are tweaked game-by-game but once they settle down - usually by about Round 4 - they don't change much from week to week unless the player is assigned a new ongoing role (eg moved from defence to forward line).

This new approach started last year. Some of the set-and-forget teams actually did pretty well IIRC.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Handicaps Round 2 v Carlton 7:20pm Thursday 24 March at Marvel Stadium

As noted above I'm not going to be able to post much for the next week. So here are the handicaps for the full playing list.
Colour coding might help a bit: blue=played Round 1, yellow=sub/medical emergency in Round 1, green = didn't play.

1647786478735.png

So these will be the final handicaps for the Carlton game, no matter who is picked.

I won't be able to post the Round 2 results until about Wednesday 30th. Sorry for any inconvenience.
Behave yourselves while I'm away!

Treloar x 2
Naughtan
Weightman
Dunkley
Bont

Please and thank you 🙏🏼
That’s six. Which one do you want to leave out?
If no response I’ll leave out the last one named (Bont)

Remove this Banner Ad

Competitions The Pieman 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Back