Review Another One Down, Who’s Next - Freo by 3 Over Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

I ******* love this team as much as I hate them. This should have been a comfortable 4-5 goals but in typical Freo fashion we let them back into it.

AP was shit. One of the worst games I have seen him play. Cox and Ryan were not up to their usual standard.

Acres was sensational. If he isn't top 3 in the Doig at the moment then the coaches are morons.

Meek got pantsed. We really missed Darcy.

I’ll be very surprised if Alex plays next week. That kick where he kicked it out on full 12 metres away was definitely effects of jabbed up ankle. Poor game but full points for heart and effort for the side.
He wouldn’t have been feeling the ground in the game.

I’ll be very surprised if Alex plays next week. That kick where he kicked it out on full 12 metres away was definitely effects of jabbed up ankle. Poor game but full points for heart and effort for the side.

I hope we rest him then. He does need to be able to kick the ball on occasion without giving away the turnover.

I can forgive Meek. That was a skill error.

Luke Ryan’s short pass down the ******* middle with 3 minutes to go when we’re 15 points up is nigh on unforgivable and almost cost us the match
So many times today the half back wanted to be cute. Frustrating.
Ryan doing that was puzzling. He’s a mature player now. I’m sure next time he ll just go down the line and reset.

Two of those hate kicks, the one you mention from Ryan and then later that Meek out on the full resulted in Geelong goals that never should have been. We were lucky, but we could have been far better.

They punished our mistakes and that's about it. Their system couldn't really generate scores organically against us.

Yeah, I too am still a little concerned that we're one Key Forward short. I mean, our loss in 2013 is owed in part to that exact issue. Pav had to carry the forward line on his back to an extent. Hopefully Aye-miss comes on very quickly!!
We’ve got Tabs & Lobb. That’s two.

Tracey & Amiss are the backups without having to move defenders around.

No decent team has more than 2 big key forwards at any time and playing three seems to make us too slow and the ball comes out too easy when it hits the deck.

We would have played Sean Darcy as a forward in 2013 if we had him.

Lobb is one of our most important players though.

Talking about faux tough guy’s, Hawkins is in my vision.

Built like a brick outhouse, but when things don’t go his way, he flaps his arms around looking like a Dean Cox impersonator. Pound for pound, one of the softest players I’ve ever seen.

I think Jeremy Cameron likes pretty football too. He definitely doesn’t enjoy physical attention.

Wow - really thought it would be The Mighty Cats by 30+ - Freo played so well. Pace and intensity won out in the end. Freo are on track for the top 4. You always seem to have someone there for the switch and handover - that comes from belief in the system and your team mates. Everyone is contributing - defence is terrific, midfield has real depth (by that i mean defenders and forwards are coming into the midfield and adding to the play) and forwards are finding space or bringing the ball to ground - really impressive win!

I am very happy for Blake Acres. I thought throwing him as steak knives for Hill was a waste and its showing

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Beforehand I though we were virtually no chance but did think if they did somehow pulled it off it would finally be time to believe.

And here we are!
I was scared to think we could win it but was quietly confident at the same time. Felt like if we were ever going to beat Geelong in Geelong again this was our moment even with the outs. The team spreads the load so damn evenly, there always seems to be a way out of trouble. Even dumb mistakes often seem to self correct by way of pure grit and determination.

That win was all sorts of satisfying and I felt proud that we have backed up the start to the season with a really gutsy win that was in the footy world's eyes against the odds. An admirable loss wasn't going to cut it if we want to be seen as a genuine finals threat.

There's a dynamic energy to the group that I don't think I've seen in Freo before. It's an exciting time to be a Fremantle supporter, feels like the sky's the limit right now.

Last edited:
Yeah, I too am still a little concerned that we're one Key Forward short. I mean, our loss in 2013 is owed in part to that exact issue. Pav had to carry the forward line on his back to an extent. Hopefully Aye-miss comes on very quickly!!
2013 was interesting in that Pav only played 12 games....missed from round 4 to round 14 due to his Achilles surgery.
A similar situation to now....Our captain and arguably best player sidelined, yet we keep on winning.

2013 was interesting in that Pav only played 12 games....missed from round 4 to round 14 due to his Achilles surgery.
A similar situation to now....Our captain and arguably best player sidelined, yet we keep on winning.
Sandlilands missed half the season as well.

Loved the performance from our second chance recruits, Acres, Clark and Brodie. Finals teams always have great second chance stories and we’ve got ours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Could easily pop Colyer into that mix too. How good are they (+ Aish) going compared to our second chancers of years past - Kersten, Dardy, Matera, Hogan and a handful of others.

On Pixel 4a using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
Fantastic win!!!
Team first mentality...
Believe Jason Sudeikis GIF by Apple TV+

We can bring in Chapman as third tall and Logue and Cox take the key posts.

Its a 6 day break and good load management.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Another One Down, Who’s Next - Freo by 3 Over Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Back