Review Will the Real Fremantle Please Stand Up? Freo Belt Melbourne at the G

Remove this Banner Ad

Watched a replay so it really feels different when you know the result. But it was quite incredible that 2nd half.

The fact that we were 5 goals down and looked down and out makes it more impressive as that 2nd quarter we looked clueless going forward.

So it wasn't like it was close the whole game trading blow for blow we had to claw back a massive deficit and then to run away with it. I suppose everyone was waiting for Melbourne to make a run in the last qtr but we didn't give them a sniff.

In terms of the overall season I didn't lose faith after 2 losses and my posts showed that. We just were purely unlucky to cop the only 2 wet weather games in the last 2 weeks. We do have to improve that aspect and is probably the only achilles heel atm we have in our game as our defence is so strong it puts less pressure on us to kick big scores.

Does anyone have the link to the main board game day thread? can’t seem to find it.. I’m looking via my mobile, strangely can’t find it

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Did you find it ?
I couldn’t either

As the late great Matt Price once wrote in the Australian about Freo.

Magnificently incompetent defeats and gloriously unanticipated victories.

Pretty much sums up the last three weeks.

Or as i said to my long time Docker supporter mum

“This team is awesome at keeping our hopes up , giving us a heart attack and then slamming our nuts in the door “

Great win yesterday guys, I actually had a sneaky suspicion you might cause the upset but awesome to watch it happen. Don't think Melbourne are as far away from the pack as the media makes out and you guys seem to be showing up for the bigger matches. Thoroughly enjoy the way you guys play at the moment, would love to see you go all the way this year.

Since you guys have been rebuilding for a while I just thought I might ask a question or two.

1) What were these boards like over the last couple years eg were most of you here bullish about what was emerging or were you feeling doom like the rebuild wasn't going to plan because of failing to make finals etc? I'm curious just to gauge sentiment to compare to what's going on over at the Crows board.

2) What do you think is the biggest change between last year & this year that's seen you rocket up the ladder & just playing such strong football most weeks?
The board's probably the same as all others going through the motions, some see a bigger picture, others get stuck on the disappointment travelator....even now we have erratic camps of optimists and pessimists and I doubt it'll ever change, but if we ever get our hands on this cup this board will go into meltdown of the more 'euphoric' kind...it'll be a pisser! Many of us were mostly a bit jaded towards the end of the Ross Lyon era, but I think we recognised we had a core group of good draftees leading the way - Brayshaw, Cerra (at the time..) before them Darcy, Ryan, Cox etc. I doubt patience is a strong suit of any footy fan, but especially of those that have never won a Premiership before! We realise now, it takes time to get it right, but we generally nailed great drafts and made some shrewd trades, Brodie being the perfect example. This area has really excelled in the J-Lo era.

I think the biggest change has been many of the team has been able to get through a decent pre-season, get fitter and stronger and stay on the park, Covid and a few other injury niggles aside, we've competed with a mostly healthy list which has give us a better choosing of our 'expected' 22. Or best 28 or so.....sans Fyfe. Last year we were playing "ok", we saw glimpses of the faster ball movement and were able to get a number of inside 50s, but struggled to convert, struggled to create good forward pressure (this has definitely improved this year) and then after some good wins we suffered some bad losses, so consistency was a problem. I think this year J-Lo's coaching methods have been more clarified and clearer, but as a consequence everyone is on the same page and the link up/chain plays are getting us past team defenses and creating good scoring opportunities which we're taking a lot better than last year. Our forward woes are still there, but our team dynamic is stronger so we're getting a good spread of goals from all areas rather than just beast-mode KPFs.

We've become very good at spreading the opposition teams wide by switching angles and forcing them to create gaps in the corridor which if we nail the 45 kick means we can just GO! I've noticed Colyer linking up well in this department and he has a good field kick generally...he's playing sort of similar to what B.Hill was doing as a roving wingman. Anyway, I'm no expert, all the merits are a melding of many other things but it's just coming together now and it helps we have talent on each line and they're gelling well, plus the team bond is very strong and we seem to have eliminated the bad apple culture that was a little bit of a hangover from the Ross days (whether he conscious or not advocated that...moot point).

Boy I tend to ramble haha!

J-Lo seems a strong leader, has been given good coaching characters around him, with fresh impetus ideas and so forth...football department's got stronger, we've improved in all departments really. Thanks for your compliments, good luck for the remainder of your season :)

Anyone know last nights attendance?

I think for a premiership team and a club that has what, 60k members, it was a pathetic showing on a beautiful Sat evening in Melb.

Those membership numbers - as for all Melbourne clubs - are BS. The number of members who would be paid up and allowed to attend the whole season would be half that number.

Kudos to Gary Lyon in commentary- he was genuinely excited about our comeback and didn’t bang on about Melbourne’s misfortune etc.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

It seemed like the Freo crowd was very loud on TV. Not sure if the microphones were in a certain spot, but it sounded like a 50/50 kind of crowd. I wonder how many people flew to Melbourne this weekend. Collingwood v Carlton today, so it would have been a good weekend for a footy trip.
I was at the match. The Freo fans WERE very loud.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You guys are hilarious. Melbourne would have lost to any team incl North and Eagles yesterday. They barely had a 100% fit player out there even Petracca was ill on Sat morning.
Loads of key players missing so Swans will likely beat Melb next Saturday as well even without Buddy.
Freo had19 points at half time.The game should of been over.
You got very lucky.
Freo best dry weather side?😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Last edited:
You guys are hilarious. Melbourne would have lost to any team incl North and Eagles yesterday. They barely had a 100% fit player out there even Petracca was ill on Sat morning.
Loads of key players injured Swans will likely beat Melb next Friday even without Buddy.
You got very lucky.
Freo best dry weather side?
What a poor attempt at trolling.

I'm not even mad at it...just disappointed.

I think you really need give yourself an uppercut.

Loads of key players missing so Swans will likely beat Melb next Friday even without Buddy.
You got very lucky.
Ok lol

Great win yesterday guys, I actually had a sneaky suspicion you might cause the upset but awesome to watch it happen. Don't think Melbourne are as far away from the pack as the media makes out and you guys seem to be showing up for the bigger matches. Thoroughly enjoy the way you guys play at the moment, would love to see you go all the way this year.

Since you guys have been rebuilding for a while I just thought I might ask a question or two.

1) What were these boards like over the last couple years eg were most of you here bullish about what was emerging or were you feeling doom like the rebuild wasn't going to plan because of failing to make finals etc? I'm curious just to gauge sentiment to compare to what's going on over at the Crows board.

2) What do you think is the biggest change between last year & this year that's seen you rocket up the ladder & just playing such strong football most weeks?
Thanks mate, to try to answer your questions
1) Different hats for different cats. Some people told themselves that JL was no good from the get go and we will always be shit, some were always positive and could see the light through the tunnel. Most were always bullish on our talent, especially from the start of last year as we kept bringing in top 10 talent from losing players on top of being average and almost every player drafted showed something.

Most of us weren’t too concerned about finals or wins/losses at the start but many were starting to get antsy start of this year. Most reasonable posters could see JL made an immediate difference in terms of getting the team to play his way, that was always a good start. A lot of us (including me), have wavered over the last few years on JL depending on performances but after the weekend he’s pretty much answered the few remaining criticisms the level headed posters had of him
  • Beating top teams
  • Match day coaching
  • Creativity / thinking outside the box

2) Biggest difference is mainly experience and just another year under the same system. The talent is getting more experience at the level and the system is moving closer to 2nd nature, and it’s a system that works. It’s honestly as simple as that.

Well been working away for the last 2 rounds in the pilbara with very poor phone reception. Missed the Pies game completely and i was glad i did. Looked like a debacle and a half.

Caught the 1st half score yesterday and walked around muttering to myself while i was working. Had a look about an hour later saw the score and just let out an almighty roar. Workmates were looking at me like i was a crazy person.

Got to watch the replay and man oh man what a performance.

Loads of key players missing so Swans will likely beat Melb next Friday as well even without Buddy.
You got very lucky.
91fd4970dc51e40ad6172174476b2fcb.gif

The board's probably the same as all others going through the motions, some see a bigger picture, others get stuck on the disappointment travelator....even now we have erratic camps of optimists and pessimists and I doubt it'll ever change, but if we ever get our hands on this cup this board will go into meltdown of the more 'euphoric' kind...it'll be a pisser! Many of us were mostly a bit jaded towards the end of the Ross Lyon era, but I think we recognised we had a core group of good draftees leading the way - Brayshaw, Cerra (at the time..) before them Darcy, Ryan, Cox etc. I doubt patience is a strong suit of any footy fan, but especially of those that have never won a Premiership before! We realise now, it takes time to get it right, but we generally nailed great drafts and made some shrewd trades, Brodie being the perfect example. This area has really excelled in the J-Lo era.

I think the biggest change has been many of the team has been able to get through a decent pre-season, get fitter and stronger and stay on the park, Covid and a few other injury niggles aside, we've competed with a mostly healthy list which has give us a better choosing of our 'expected' 22. Or best 28 or so.....sans Fyfe. Last year we were playing "ok", we saw glimpses of the faster ball movement and were able to get a number of inside 50s, but struggled to convert, struggled to create good forward pressure (this has definitely improved this year) and then after some good wins we suffered some bad losses, so consistency was a problem. I think this year J-Lo's coaching methods have been more clarified and clearer, but as a consequence everyone is on the same page and the link up/chain plays are getting us past team defenses and creating good scoring opportunities which we're taking a lot better than last year. Our forward woes are still there, but our team dynamic is stronger so we're getting a good spread of goals from all areas rather than just beast-mode KPFs.

We've become very good at spreading the opposition teams wide by switching angles and forcing them to create gaps in the corridor which if we nail the 45 kick means we can just GO! I've noticed Colyer linking up well in this department and he has a good field kick generally...he's playing sort of similar to what B.Hill was doing as a roving wingman. Anyway, I'm no expert, all the merits are a melding of many other things but it's just coming together now and it helps we have talent on each line and they're gelling well, plus the team bond is very strong and we seem to have eliminated the bad apple culture that was a little bit of a hangover from the Ross days (whether he conscious or not advocated that...moot point).

Boy I tend to ramble haha!

J-Lo seems a strong leader, has been given good coaching characters around him, with fresh impetus ideas and so forth...football department's got stronger, we've improved in all departments really. Thanks for your compliments, good luck for the remainder of your season :)
Great response, comprehensive. Wishing you guys all the best, been the most interesting side for me to watch this year for me (aside from my own for obvious reasons), just love the slick ball movement & how clean you guys can be out of tight spaces to turn a ground ball into a powerful attacking play. I'll be going for you come finals.

Loads of key players missing so Swans will likely beat Melb next Friday as well even without Buddy.
You got very lucky.
Jennifer Lawrence Reaction GIF

Remove this Banner Ad

Back