Unofficial Preview Swans Vs Cats 2022 GRAND FINAL. MCG. Last Sat in September @14:30.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
McLean could at least bring the ball to ground

He trouble them last game

They are to good in the air defensively to bomb or have McDonald not making a contest

Mclean hasn't played in a while

Then perhaps tell us what you're seeing that the rest of us are not?
I've already stated this elsewhere but I'll happily repeat myself.

One, if you have an opportunity to give your generational KPF experience on the biggest stage in football, you just do it, end of story. This is about more than a couple of down games or even 2022, this is about developing a career player. Amartey and McClean are good players. They're not our future. Logan McDonald is. In addition to that, by the time the Grand Final rolls around, Mclean and Amartey will be three weeks away from their most recent game of football and a VFL game at that. If you have compelling information that their form is guaranteed to be better than McDonald's or that they'll run out the game or handle AFL-level pressure better on the basis of a VFL game three weeks ago, I'd like to see it. Are you willing to roll the dice on that?

Secondly, this is clearly a young, tight-knit playing group with massive self-belief and, whether you like it or not, McDonald is a part of that equation. Why **** with morale by dropping players who helped win us two finals? If Sam Reid missing the GF is considered a tragedy, I'd consider dropping McDonald an act of complete bastardry and I wouldn't be surprised if that's how a lot of his teammates saw it, whether they said it or not.

Thirdly, McDonald may not rack up big stats but I couldn't help but notice we won by less than a kick and he also ended up clunking one and getting a goal, without which: we ****ing lose. I also think a lot of his work as an outlet kick to the boundary goes completely unnoticed by a lot of people on this forum. He moves across the ground well, draws defenders away from the forward 50 and helps out our defence at critical moments. Go watch where Rampe's handball ends up after the Fox double smother when the Dees game was on the line.

Squiggle's flagpole is the one used for the GF
I had a look at the Squiggle map this morning. Geelong is now positioned in the midst of all the previous flag winners. The Swans are positioned far to the left of any of the past winners. Based upon the Squiggle, the Swans would have to break new ground to win from there.

Attachments

• sqiggle23.jpg
    sqiggle23.jpg
    231.5 KB · Views: 52
McLean & McDonald both played, when Buddy kicked his 1000th. No Amartey.

McLean also played against Geelong last year and he kicked 4 with three marks inside 50.

The idea that McDonald can't be dropped because of the team cohesion whilst we're on a winning streak is also a bit off, considering we actually started this winning streak the week that he was dropped and replaced by Amartey, and he didn't come back into the team until we'd already won 4 straight.

I'm not saying he should or shouldn't be dropped. I just think this notion that he should stay in because he's not awful and because we've been winning don't really hold up for mine as you could apply the exact same logic to McLean or Amartey.

In any case if Reid is out then no way McDonald gets dropped anyway.
Ah I see. I stand corrected.

I don't mean to be a lazy bum, but who else in the teams lineups were different? Geelong has a completely different lineup? Were they missing important players? Because we made short work of them last time.

I had a look at the Squiggle map this morning. Geelong is now positioned in the midst of all the previous flag winners. The Swans are positioned far to the left of any of the past winners. Based upon the Squiggle, the Swans would have to break new ground to win from there.
Pardon the intrusion all - I come in peace.

Congrats on making the big dance and all the best for the day.

In the immortal (paraphrased) words of Apollo Creed - Do us all a favour and drop these chumps.

One, if you have an opportunity to give your generational KPF experience on the biggest stage in football, you just do it, end of story. This is about more than a couple of down games or even 2022, this is about developing a career player. Amartey and McClean are good players. They're not our future. Logan McDonald is. In addition to that, by the time the Grand Final rolls around, Mclean and Amartey will be three weeks away from their most recent game of football and a VFL game at that. If you have compelling information that their form is guaranteed to be better than McDonald's or that they'll run out the game or handle AFL-level pressure better on the basis of a VFL game three weeks ago, I'd like to see it. Are you willing to roll the dice on that?

Secondly, this is clearly a young, tight-knit playing group with massive self-belief and, whether you like it or not, McDonald is a part of that equation. Why * with morale by dropping players who helped win us two finals? If Sam Reid missing the GF is considered a tragedy, I'd consider dropping McDonald an act of complete bastardry and I wouldn't be surprised if that's how a lot of his teammates saw it, whether they said it or not.

Thirdly, McDonald may not rack up big stats but I couldn't help but notice we won by less than a kick and he also ended up clunking one and getting a goal, without which: we ******* lose. I also think a lot of his work as an outlet kick to the boundary goes completely unnoticed by a lot of people on this forum. He moves across the ground well, draws defenders away from the forward 50 and helps out our defence at critical moments. Go watch where Rampe's handball ends up after the Fox double smother when the Dees game was on the line.
Beautiful reply. Agree.

Well there's one massive outlier in there and that's 2005. Why couldn't we do it again?

Keep them to 60 and we'll move sharply right

Secondly, this is clearly a young, tight-knit playing group with massive self-belief and, whether you like it or not, McDonald is a part of that equation. Why * with morale by dropping players who helped win us two finals? If Sam Reid missing the GF is considered a tragedy, I'd consider dropping McDonald an act of complete bastardry and I wouldn't be surprised if that's how a lot of his teammates saw it, whether they said it or not.

Thirdly, McDonald may not rack up big stats but I couldn't help but notice we won by less than a kick and he also ended up clunking one and getting a goal, without which: we ******* lose. I also think a lot of his work as an outlet kick to the boundary goes completely unnoticed by a lot of people on this forum. He moves across the ground well, draws defenders away from the forward 50 and helps out our defence at critical moments. Go watch where Rampe's handball ends up after the Fox double smother when the Dees game was on the line.

could not have said it any better ... every point well made
mcdonald has such slick hands and better game sense too ... the football nous of a top draft pick
as an example: that tap in to papley that should've resulted in a goal late second term ... amartey doesn't yet have that game sense and mclean would not have been anywhere near the ball in that situation, he's just not that mobile
mcdonald knows when to leave the forwards and make himself available up the ground, something that has happened several times recently
i do not understand at all how some critics are saying he's "done nothing" or "disappeared"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are you still drunk?
Haha I know it sounds crazy and maybe I am way off the mark, just going off my observations and guessing here.

I think the long bomb plays into our game of taking huge territory and quickly. We kick long to contests and hope we can halve or win them, bring the ball to ground and the guy at the feet crumbs it and off we go. You need enough front half weapons to win enough of these contests to make it worthwhile. I think we have that and it's why it works for us, and why it didn't matter that Steven May won his share of those contests a few weeks back, as long as we win our share that little bit more.

Like I said it does our head in as helpless spectators but if you actually go back and look at the overwhelming majority of our scoring opportunities this year, they have come from a long bomb deep where we've been able to bring the ball to ground, lock it in our forward 50 with tackling pressure, cause a turnover and then capitalise on it by scoring. The fantasy is to play pretty, lead-up footy with precision kicks etc but that's all it is in high pressure, high intensity games - a fantasy. You're lucky if you get a few looks at that per game, especially in finals against quality defences.

Honestly don't think Horse would care how it is to look at, as long as it's effective. What I think is less effective is the hack kick, the stupid blind kick that only goes about 25 metres and always leads to a shallow entry that's easy to cut off and repel the other way. I've always hated it and I think we've overcome it by focusing on territory and getting the ball to dangerous spots and then backing our ability to win 1v1s from there.

Just my two cents. I could be very wrong.

Haha I know it sounds crazy and maybe I am way off the mark, just going off my observations and guessing here.

I think the long bomb plays into our game of taking huge territory and quickly. We kick long to contests and hope we can halve or win them, bring the ball to ground and the guy at the feet crumbs it and off we go. You need enough front half weapons to win enough of these contests to make it worthwhile. I think we have that and it's why it works for us, and why it didn't matter that Steven May won his share of those contests a few weeks back, as long as we win our share that little bit more.

Like I said it does our head in as helpless spectators but if you actually go back and look at the overwhelming majority of our scoring opportunities this year, they have come from a long bomb deep where we've been able to bring the ball to ground, lock it in our forward 50 with tackling pressure, cause a turnover and then capitalise on it by scoring. The fantasy is to play pretty, lead-up footy with precision kicks etc but that's all it is in high pressure, high intensity games - a fantasy. You're lucky if you get a few looks at that per game, especially in finals against quality defences.

Honestly don't think Horse would care how it is to look at, as long as it's effective. What I think is less effective is the hack kick, the stupid blind kick that only goes about 25 metres and always leads to a shallow entry that's easy to cut off and repel the other way. I've always hated it and I think we've overcome it by focusing on territory and getting the ball to dangerous spots and then backing our ability to win 1v1s from there.

Just my two cents. I could be very wrong.
Not to Geelong it’s doesn’t mate

It depends where the bombing is, if we bomb to a contest deep into 50 it's good, shallow bombs to outnumbers are bad.

If we make sure we kick to equal numbers with some crumbers around we will be just fine.

could not have said it any better ... every point well made
mcdonald has such slick hands and better game sense too ... the football nous of a top draft pick
as an example: that tap in to papley that should've resulted in a goal late second term ... amartey doesn't yet have that game sense and mclean would not have been anywhere near the ball in that situation, he's just not that mobile
mcdonald knows when to leave the forwards and make himself available up the ground, something that has happened several times recently
i do not understand at all how some critics are saying he's "done nothing" or "disappeared"

It depends where the bombing is, if we bomb to a contest deep into 50 it's good, shallow bombs to outnumbers are bad.

If we make sure we kick to equal numbers with some crumbers around we will be just fine.
Spot on. The times when the bombing doesn't work seem to linger in the memory a lot more than all the times that it does work.

For example yesterday everyone was saying how important Reid's marking was in the first half, but he was literally taking marks from long bombs. So many of our goals yesterday came from chaos balls into the front half but no one really remembers those chaos balls, only the individual plays that followed them and led to goals.

I honestly reckon Horse would have enough confidence in our forward half players once it's there - forwards and mids, talls and smalls - to not care how we actually get it there.

One, if you have an opportunity to give your generational KPF experience on the biggest stage in football, you just do it, end of story. This is about more than a couple of down games or even 2022, this is about developing a career player. Amartey and McClean are good players. They're not our future. Logan McDonald is.

Cant agree with the bolded. Its a GF. I guarantee Logan would be the first player dropped if we lost the Melbourne game. If there was a game afterwardshad we lost the Prelim, he was the first one to be replaced by Amartey.

GFs arent easy to come by, developing a career player is a completely moot point if we dont make it here again for a decade.

Who bloody cares about the future, you win the flag here and now when its in front of you.

Ive watched Logan closely two games in a row in person, hes really not ready

They had 10 interceptions half way through 2nd quarter

If you watch them closely they generate most of there play from interceptions

They will mop up all day

Number 1 for defence for a reason

Lower eyes
ticky had posted earlier - shows how Swans did lower eyes yesterday with nice passes

They had 10 interceptions half way through 2nd quarter

If you watch them closely they generate most of there play from interceptions

They will mop up all day

Number 1 for defence for a reason

Lower eyes
I agree, but I'm not saying Melbourne and Geelong don't love to intercept, just that maybe we back our ability to win or halve more of those contests than we lose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back