Coach Who should be our next coach?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
15/8 Board toppled (reportedly will pursue Clarkson)
19/8 Alastair Clarkson to join North
21/8 Ben Rutten sacked
22/8 Coach selection sub-committee to be established to find a replacement
26/8 Committee members announced: Josh Mahoney (GM-Footy, chair), Dorothy Hisgrove (Board member), Andrew Thorburn, Simone McKinnis, Robert Walls, Jordan Lewis
7/9 James Hird, Dean Solomon, Brendon Lade, Adem Yze interviewed at EY
13/9 Daniel Giansiracusa reportedly interviewed
17/9 Don Pyke “not pursuing that at this stage”
21/9 Brad Scott contacted by the club but won’t make a decision on whether to pursue the role until after the Grand Final
21/9 Adem Yze has second interview and tours the training facilities at Tullamarine
22/9 Blake Caracella will put his hat in the ring
27/9 Brendon Lade appointed as assistant coach at the Western Bulldogs, out of the running for Essendon job
28/9 Brad Scott to be interviewed on Thursday
29/9

Last edited:
Quite bizarre.
To somehow suggest that Brad would walk away from his cushy well paying (I heard 700+k p.a) AFL house job to step back into coaching - to the what sabotage the club with the wrong interest and intentions? He would only get back into it if he is keen to coach.. and keen to win premierships! Which is all we can ask for really. Ridiculous to think there is some other ulterior motive.
Gil to Brad: There’s going to be a Tasmanian team and we want you to be it’s coach. But there will not be more than 18 teams. Here’s the keys to Essendon, you know what to do.

Quite bizarre.
To somehow suggest that Brad would walk away from his cushy well paying (I heard 700+k p.a) AFL house job to step back into coaching - to the what sabotage the club with the wrong interest and intentions? He would only get back into it if he is keen to coach.. and keen to win premierships! Which is all we can ask for really. Ridiculous to think there is some other ulterior motive.
No, because you see, everyone is out to get Hird. Everyone has it out for Hird.

As I read things, Scott wants the job if it is given to him.

There is no reason for him to have sat on the fence publicly for this long.

I think he's using Caro to blow up the idea of Hird.

As I listen to Yze it is difficult to imagine him convincing a panel of anything.
A little different talking to a panel about everything football and media. All new coaches struggle with media. Take Rutten as an example

Cool. Clearly haven't articulated myself well in my previous post.

Allow me to clarify; I do not want Brad Scott as our coach.
  • I did not rate him when he was coach at North.
  • I do not believe the narrative that he over performed with North's list as it was then.
  • I do not believe he is qualified enough to bypass any part of our coaching selection process (Lyon shouldn't have been given this option either - nor was he as far as I can tell)
  • I don't think he would be a double agent or anything like that ... However I can't see why his work at the AFL would invite anything but scorn tbh, and a recommendation from AFL house to me is meaningless.
  • I think people see Scott's former antics in the box and equate that with passion and a "fire and brimstone" style coaching method that will instantly solve a lot of our problems ... I do not think this is what our players need, I think our players need a coach that's going to create a system and culture of accountability and leadership. I do not believe Brad has the ability to do this.

But hey .. what do I know! I'm just a nuffy who can't peel bananas properly and Caro's given him the thumbs up so ... Yeah .. go for it

I've managed to stumble on the application form for the job!

QH1PoOIFcqjpfWa15nX7G0P7yln-tpqk-OJT3ljKa0g.jpg

• I do not believe the narrative that he over performed with North's list as it was then.
  • I do not believe he is qualified enough to bypass any part of our coaching selection process (Lyon shouldn't have been given this option either - nor was he as far as I can tell)
  • I don't think he would be a double agent or anything like that ... However I can't see why his work at the AFL would invite anything but scorn tbh, and a recommendation from AFL house to me is meaningless.
  • I think people see Scott's former antics in the box and equate that with passion and a "fire and brimstone" style coaching method that will instantly solve a lot of our problems ... I do not think this is what our players need, I think our players need a coach that's going to create a system and culture of accountability and leadership. I do not believe Brad has the ability to do this.

But hey .. what do I know! I'm just a nuffy who can't peel bananas properly and Caro's given him the thumbs up so ... Yeah .. go for it
I don't think we can know whether or not he can create a system and culture of accountability, but I respect your opinion.

Just curious, who would you like to coach Essendon then? Like number 1 option

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just curious, who would you like to coach Essendon then? Like number 1 option
Whoever goes through the full process and is recommended to the board.

I know that's a lame answer, but the truth is as an outsider all we can really judge an assistant coach on is their CV at their previous clubs ... Their previous clubs have success? Oh well that must translate to us then ...

We got Rutten, Cara and other people from Richmond and people believed that because Richmond was successful and these guys were there when that happened that this success would transfer to us ... If we are honest it never even looked like it was going to happen did it?

We got Woosha and he was successful at WCE .. but then ...

Bomber was successful at Geelong but then ...

We need a coach who is going to develop leaders. Our list is so young and so bereft of anything resembling onfield leadership it's painful to watch them out there. Now, I don't know who that coach is, but I don't think it's Brad Scott.

Luke Hodge is a waste of coaching potential sitting in a comfy media chair I reckon. Should’ve done a little apprenticeship and he’d now be first on my list. Seems astute, pretty much coached on the field, had heaps of team success, and has the recent champion status that would demand respect.

This, of course, is said with very little knowledge of how his credentials would stack up if churned through the process of appointing a coach, but on the surface… wasted…

Can’t fathom people who are canning Brad Scott. He is clearly an incredible operator. Took an average side to two Prelim finals and has worked is way up to near the top of the AFL. Has heaps of experience in various forms, including his playing days, and has always presented very well in the media. Plus he shows passion, something we haven’t seen at Essendon for years.

Can’t fathom people who are canning Brad Scott. He is clearly an incredible operator. Took an average side to two Prelim finals and has worked is way up to near the top of the AFL. Has heaps of experience in various forms, including his playing days, and has always presented very well in the media. Plus he shows passion, something we haven’t seen at Essendon for years.

You can say he took an average side to the prelims, but he nearly destroyed the club in doing so. Went all in trading for the now which in any even wasnt ever going any further than the prelim.

Perhaps many other coaches/teams/operators might have pulled the other lever with the future in mind.

As far as I'm aware he's had two adminstrative posts since being sacked from North, he was head of AFL Victoria for less than 2 years and put into a newly created role at AFL House overseeing umpiring and the MRO (amongst other things)

I wouldn't call this "working his way to the top" in fact from an outside perspective this looks like he was given two "jobs for mates" and I'm yet to see anything close to an achievement that can be attributed to his work in either of these roles.

Ask the North supporters or some that where at North during his time.
Reports I have heard is it was not great and an absolute train wreck at the end when a rebuild was needed.
They made one more preliminary final under Scott than they did with Laidley and the never did a rebuild.
Personally I have zero confidence in his ability to do a rebuild given how North ended up.

Reports I have heard is it was not great and an absolute train wreck at the end when a rebuild was needed.
They made one more preliminary final under Scott than they did with Laidley and the never did a rebuild.
Personally I have zero confidence in his ability to do a rebuild given how North ended up.
This is my worry.
I remember Norf fans and pundits bemoaning the fact he seemed to play favourites and never drop players except the 21st and 22nd player selected regardless of form, leaving younger players well underdeveloped.

We had that with Woosha and that didn't really work out. Our coaching staff needs to be focused on development and a group that can bring a young group through and implement elite standards.

i don’t like Brad Scott because he carried on like a peanut in the coaches box constantly.

if that is not a good enough reason to not want him as coach, he also introduced both the stand rule & the umpire dissent rule which are both dumb.

Who do you want as coach?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back