Coach Who should be our next coach?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
15/8 Board toppled (reportedly will pursue Clarkson)
19/8 Alastair Clarkson to join North
21/8 Ben Rutten sacked
22/8 Coach selection sub-committee to be established to find a replacement
26/8 Committee members announced: Josh Mahoney (GM-Footy, chair), Dorothy Hisgrove (Board member), Andrew Thorburn, Simone McKinnis, Robert Walls, Jordan Lewis
7/9 James Hird, Dean Solomon, Brendon Lade, Adem Yze interviewed at EY
13/9 Daniel Giansiracusa reportedly interviewed
17/9 Don Pyke “not pursuing that at this stage”
21/9 Brad Scott contacted by the club but won’t make a decision on whether to pursue the role until after the Grand Final
21/9 Adem Yze has second interview and tours the training facilities at Tullamarine
22/9 Blake Caracella will put his hat in the ring
27/9 Brendon Lade appointed as assistant coach at the Western Bulldogs, out of the running for Essendon job
28/9 Brad Scott to be interviewed on Thursday
29/9

Last edited:
Leaky boat continues to leak?

Can't rule it out.

But why Caro and why the Scott leak?

If we're going down the line of a process with experienced coaches not being required until late why leak all this stuff about Scott?

Caro's information looks to me to be from the Scott camp. I'm unconvinced that the football operations guy going for a job at a club with nothing to do with finals is going to cause any issues.

He need not do anything other than confirm his application. That's if there is anything public to say (as in leak).

As it stands he's deciding whether to apply and then putting together his whole application today.

To be fair. You and I don’t know anything lol

He very may well have said to them (privately) that I’m interested but will only chat/go through process after I finish up my duties as AFL boss. Just because it’s not stated (publicly) doesn’t mean it hasn’t happened privately. Unless your a ITK we don’t know anything.
The fact he hasn’t ruled it out and how hard Caro and others push it leads me to believe he’s interested cause he could easily knocked it on the head otherwise.

Just let the process play out, I’m sure we will hear more tomorrow.

Also, he currently has a job. You normally try to conduct your interviews with a bit of discretion. He might have had 5 zoom interviews for all we know.

Can't rule it out.

But why Caro and why the Scott leak?

If we're going down the line of a process with experienced coaches not being required until late why leak all this stuff about Scott?

Caro's information looks to me to be from the Scott camp. I'm unconvinced that the football operations guy going for a job at a club with nothing to do with finals is going to cause any issues.

On the current version of events he need not do anything other than confirm his application. That's if there is anything public to say (as in leak).

As it stands he's deciding whether to apply and then putting together his whole application today.

That's if there is anything public that needs to be said.
The only thing leaking to Caro is the AFL. That is where she has always had contacts. If you line up the rest of her comments you can see that she is speculating just as much as anyone else. Obviously the AFL knows Scott is going to do an interview. If you listen to Gil the other day he really does not want Scott to go as it is another issue he has to deal with before he goes.
The fact is the panel has not leaked to anyone. They have not finished the interviews. There has been speculation.
I personally think you are making more of what there actually is.

The only thing leaking to Caro is the AFL. That is where she has always had contacts. If you line up the rest of her comments you can see that she is speculating just as much as anyone else. Obviously the AFL knows Scott is going to do an interview. If you listen to Gil the other day he really does not want Scott to go as it is another issue he has to deal with before he goes.
The fact is the panel has not leaked to anyone. They have not finished the interviews. There has been speculation.
I think she has Richmond contacts that we’ve inherited to some extent as well.

Suits me.

I tend not to think that journalists speculate in this way, though.

Journalist speculation looks more like what Sam Edmund does, he mixes speculation in among information he has. While he doesn't stop to announce speculation, he chooses his words carefully enough that it is clear.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Scott boys are probably the two best ‘floor raising’ coaches in the AFL era. Brad worked minor miracles on a shoestring budget with no resources and Chris probably has the easiest job in the AFL but he’d struggle to suck if he tried.

I’m not convinced Brad Scott will take us to the promised land but he will certainly take us forward so it’s easier for the next bloke in line.

All that being said I still want Yze in the chair.

Cards on the table; I don't want Brad Scott to be our coach. Might sound cynical but as far as I'm concerned anyone who is lauded from inside the tent at the AFL and championed by Caroline Wilson won't have Essendon's best interests at heart.

I mean, what is his selling point again? "Did a lot with a limited budget at North" ... I don't get this sentiment, you guys realise that he wasn't coaching a country footy team in the big leagues. "His brother just won a flag" ... My brother is a chef and I can barely peel a banana ...

I cannot believe our process is two rounds of interviews, extensive psychological questioning, etc etc ... Unless you're Brad Scott in that case the job is yours ... Seriously.

Cards on the table; I don't want Brad Scott to be our coach. Might sound cynical but as far as I'm concerned anyone who is lauded from inside the tent at the AFL and championed by Caroline Wilson won't have Essendon's best interests at heart.

I mean, what is his selling point again? "Did a lot with a limited budget at North" ... I don't get this sentiment, you guys realise that he wasn't coaching a country footy team in the big leagues. "His brother just won a flag" ... My brother is a chef and I can barely peel a banana ...

I cannot believe our process is two rounds of interviews, extensive psychological questioning, etc etc ... Unless you're Brad Scott in that case the job is yours ... Seriously.
He is the identical twin of Geelong's coach, he can do exactly the same as him.

odd analogy. brad scott Has more than enough credits in the bank to not just rely on his brothers success.

brad Scott has won more finals as a coach than we have in 2 decades as a club, that’s his selling point. He took a complete dog shit club to 2 prelim finals.

whilst he isn’t the twin that won a grand final, and no he doesn’t get the walk up start, but he certainly has done more than required to not be instantly put in the bin by our mob.

the only interest he needs to have is winning games of football. Anything else is coterie talk which this clubs needs to do away with.

constantly laughable watching this clubs supporters shit on people who are just better than us. I don’t care who the coach is, but instantly dismissing someone who has more success than we have in 20 years based on nothing is just crap sorry. It’s like you have just settled for mediocrity and it’s bred into you to expect it.

Last edited:

What are Essendon’s best interests?

Then ask, what would any coach hold as their best interests?

It’s fine that you don’t rate him but that’s bizarre reasoning.

Im so relieved to here I’m not the only one to struggle peeling bananas. It’s harder than it looks.

Quite bizarre.
To somehow suggest that Brad would walk away from his cushy well paying (I heard 700+k p.a) AFL house job to step back into coaching - to the what sabotage the club with the wrong interest and intentions? He would only get back into it if he is keen to coach.. and keen to win premierships! Which is all we can ask for really. Ridiculous to think there is some other ulterior motive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back