Rumour 2022 Rumour Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

What we and most clubs haven't been able to do is get senior players to play for under their market value. Guys like Sellwood, Dangerfield and Hawkins are fairly unique in that way. It will be interesting going forward with Geelong if that continues.
Reports of Selwood and Hawkins on 300k this season just gone and we play Sloane 750k+

What we and most clubs haven't been able to do is get senior players to play for under their market value. Guys like Sellwood, Dangerfield and Hawkins are fairly unique in that way. It will be interesting going forward with Geelong if that continues.
If you think they are playing for unders, I have a bridge to sell you.

Brown paper bag shortage in Geelong right now.

If you think they are playing for unders, I have a bridge to sell you.

Brown paper bag shortage in Geelong right now.
Geelong dont even bother with brown paper bags.

They just openly hand over bundles of cash.

Reports of Selwood and Hawkins on 300k this season just gone and we play Sloane 750k+

In Reid we trust!

Happy Cheering GIF by Spider-Man

Every single non-Vic team should be screaming in the media about this. It is the most lop-sided trade in history, and favouring the reigning premiers.

The trade should be prevented.
I remember seeing one news article questioning it. The rest are far more worried about questioning how Izak Rankine will cope with living in the city he grew up in though.

The VFL had some serious financial issues in the mid 80s and was essentially saved by the entry fees paid by WCE, Brisbane and the other expansion teams.
TV rights were nothing compared to what they are now, so expansion was their only hope at the time.

Unfortunately the other states weren't aware of this, otherwise we could have seen the Victorian comp implode and then a proper national comp started. In the end though all they lost was Fitzroy, other clubs avoided merging and awful clubs like St Kilda play on in the national league.
It was known

Port sold SA out

Agree. We got Dawson last year, Rankine this year, at this pace we’ll take 4 years to do what Geelong will do this draft period.

Not saying we’re doing it wrong just pointing out Geelong have achieved the impossible in 1 trade period

For years clubs have generally taken unders from them - Wells the smiling assassin!

I really can’t comprehend why the Pies are letting Henry go - has already proven he can win matches - and yet they will let him go for bugger all

And GWS - wtf - take a guy you know doesn’t want to play for you and will go home straight away, and then trade him for a much lesser pick.

The Northern teams are almost Geelong franchises!!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Marc McGowan says Rankine is done.

Adelaide get: Izak Rankine, 2022 pick 46 (Michalanney points), future 4th round selection

Gold Coast get: 2022 pick 5, future third round, future fourth round

Not behd.

As was reported last week - they actually got one right!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I heard one of their guys interviewed. Got the impression if you want to play there once you are 30 you are playing for unders. The Cats know no one is putting massive contracts in front of 29-30 yr olds, allows them to get extraordinary depth.

The challenge is locking players up at 24-26 in 5 year deals rather than allowing them to come out of contract at 27-28 where they can command 1 last big deal which takes them to 32 (Sloane)

Geelong lost Selwood and will lose Hawkins, Dangerfield, Smith, Tuohy and Duncan over the next couple years. Unless Bowes wants to move clubs again I wouldn’t be picking the Cats as the place where I’m going to get long term sustained success.
Yea once Bartel Stevie j Scarlett Taylor Corey are gone…they’re screwed

Yea once Bartel Stevie j Scarlett Taylor Corey are gone…they’re screwed
That just dropped them from a dynasty to a contender (since Selwood and Hawkins were so young). Then landing Danger offset that.

If freaking Bowes and Clark become Selwood/Danger level players the comp is stuffed again.

On Pixel 5 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Marc McGowan said that the length and price of Rankine's contract was being heavily inflated weeks ago, turns out his deal is 3 years, so I'd imagine the price truly is lower than reported.

Considering our cap situation, likelihood it's the other way and we paid up to get Rankines signature

Considering our cap situation, likelihood it's the other way and we paid up to get Rankines signature
Hope we don't then get burnt at the other end of the contract when it comes up for renewal. Only saving grace if there are no triggers for a 4th and 5th year would be that he is a crows boy at heart and if he is going to have a soft spot for any club its us so the next contract assuming all goes well overt the next 3 years might be more workable

The Cats are on the cusp of securing their man but it was Hawthorn, led by coach Sam Mitchell, who gave the most impressive pitch and offered more money in the last two years of a four-year deal.

Adelaide was the most desperate to get him while Brisbane was understood to be incentivised by the draft pick and points on offer.
So sounds like we went hard for Bowes knowing we'd get pick 7 with him.

Marc McGowan said that the length and price of Rankine's contract was being heavily inflated weeks ago, turns out his deal is 3 years, so I'd imagine the price truly is lower than reported.
Isn't it the exact opposite? Less years usually means more money. Players sometimes give up a bit of cash for the security of a longer contract.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2022 Rumour Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back