List Mgmt. 2022 Draft Thread - Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

Time to get excited about the draft

I think we will be trying to trade up but it might be hard to do

Wouldn't be surprised at all if we offered up next years first and 9 for 4 and 22

Either that or we will be trying hard to get our 2nd rounders higher

I really like Phillipou if he makes it to 9 though

One of the youngest of the draft crop. Looks a complete player.

Unless someone is chasing points next year, they won't even consider that deal.
They would be conservative about where we will finish, so they'd rate our next year first at maybe 15 or so, and its next year, so they would probably be reluctant to swap our next years first for 22 on its own.

Mattaes Phillipou​

Height: 190cm
Weight: 89kg
D.O.B: 27-12-2004

SNAPSHOT: “A well-rounded forward/midfielder in the mould of Nat Fyfe and Patrick Dangerfield, Mattaes Phillipou’s aerial ability and scoreboard impact make him South Australia’s highest rated draft prospect.”

Mattaes Phillipou is regarded by most draft watchers as the best draft-eligible talent from South Australia. Boasting a 192cm frame and a handful of match-winning tools, part of the drawcard with Phillipou is his projected upside.

However the Woodville-West Torrens prospect has pieced together a strong junior career which has included representing South Australia at the National Championships and winning a SANFL U18 Premiership with the Eagles in 2021. Having announced himself to recruiters last season when he booted 25 goals and averaged 23.3 disposals as a bottom-ager, Phillipou has taken his game to the next level this year, pushing his name into top ten consideration in the process.

Proving far too good for the U18 competition, Mattaes managed to play three reserves games, with his three goal and 13 disposal effort against Sturt in round 17 particularly noteworthy. Among SA’s best performers at the mid-season carnival, Phillipou’s season was cut short when he sustained an ankle injury in August.

Mattaes Phillipou​

SNAPSHOT: “A well-rounded forward/midfielder in the mould of Nat Fyfe and Patrick Dangerfield, Mattaes Phillipou’s aerial ability and scoreboard impact make him South Australia’s highest rated draft prospect.”

Mattaes Phillipou is regarded by most draft watchers as the best draft-eligible talent from South Australia. Boasting a 192cm frame and a handful of match-winning tools, part of the drawcard with Phillipou is his projected upside.

However the Woodville-West Torrens prospect has pieced together a strong junior career which has included representing South Australia at the National Championships and winning a SANFL U18 Premiership with the Eagles in 2021. Having announced himself to recruiters last season when he booted 25 goals and averaged 23.3 disposals as a bottom-ager, Phillipou has taken his game to the next level this year, pushing his name into top ten consideration in the process.

Proving far too good for the U18 competition, Mattaes managed to play three reserves games, with his three goal and 13 disposal effort against Sturt in round 17 particularly noteworthy. Among SA’s best performers at the mid-season carnival, Phillipou’s season was cut short when he sustained an ankle injury in August.
Where do you think he ends up going BM ?

They would be conservative about where we will finish, so they'd rate our next year first at maybe 15 or so, and its next year, so they would probably be reluctant to swap our next years first for 22 on its own.
I think Essendon would consider that deal. They've already said they will look into trading pick 4 down the order and 22 may well get used on their father son.

I think it's us that would and should say no

Where do you think he ends up going BM ?
Port would have taken him at 9 before WC got that pick

Fingers crossed WC take a local (Busslinger or Ginbey) and he make it to 10

He will be there about. Probably the most likely top 10 rated mid to make it to our pick

Time to get excited about the draft

I think we will be trying to trade up but it might be hard to do

Wouldn't be surprised at all if we offered up next years first and 9 for 4 and 22

Either that or we will be trying hard to get our 2nd rounders higher

I really like Phillipou if he makes it to 9 though

One of the youngest of the draft crop. Looks a complete player.
That's a horrible trade for us in my opinion. The Quality of the Draft seems to be top 10-12 players and even from 4 onwards. Not gaining much at Pick 4.

If we struggle next year (likely) in a strong Draft (likely) with no First Round pick, we're in big trouble.

Also with the Bing possibility, hold onto our future 1st.

Agree... it's highly doubt anyone (including us) trades their 2023 1st.

Port would have taken him at 9 before WC got that pick

Fingers crossed WC take a local (Busslinger or Ginbey) and he make it to 10

He will be there about. Probably the most likely top 10 rated mid to make it to our pick
WC will take Ginbey.
I think we'll get Phillipou.

Bris: Ashcroft
GWS: Cadman
NM: Wardlaw
NM: Tsatas / Sheezel
Ess: Tsatas / Sheezel
GC: Humphrey
Haw: Mackenzie / Ginbey / Clark
Geel: Clark
WC: Ginbey
StK: Mackenzie / Phillipou*

Our recruitment confidence and link to SA only strengthens the chance, so the Saints team will have all the info on Phillipou- happy to back them there

That's a horrible trade for us in my opinion. The Quality of the Draft seems to be top 10-12 players and even from 4 onwards. Not gaining much at Pick 4.

If we struggle next year (likely) in a strong Draft (likely) with no First Round pick, we're in big trouble.

Also with the Bing possibility, hold onto our future 1st.
I wouldn't do the deal as I've said, but there's a clear top 5 including Ashcroft

Pick 4 means we get one of those guys

Bing is still contracted for 2 more years

WC will take Ginbey.
I think we'll get Phillipou.

Bris: Ashcroft
GWS: Cadman
NM: Wardlaw
NM: Tsatas / Sheezel
Ess: Tsatas / Sheezel
GC: Humphrey
Haw: Mackenzie / Ginbey / Clark
Geel: Clark
WC: Ginbey
StK: Mackenzie / Phillipou*

Our recruitment confidence and link to SA only strengthens the chance, so the Saints team will have all the info on Phillipou- happy to back them there
As long as the talk of Clark falling to Geelong and WC getting Ginbey is correct, we will end up with one of Humphrey, Phillipou or Mckenzie which is good.

Comments from the GC list manager yesterday suggests they aren't targeting a pure mid which made me think Phillipou was a good chance at their pick too.

As long as the talk of Clark falling to Geelong and WC getting Ginbey is correct, we will end up with one of Humphrey, Phillipou or Mckenzie which is good.

Comments from the GC list manager yesterday suggests they aren't targeting a pure mid which made me think Phillipou was a good chance at their pick too.
In light of the franchises bleeding players back to Vic, you wonder if GC takes Ollie Hollands to pair with his brother.

It's a big stretch but if it's pretty even between 5-15 then they may consider it.

Brissie's tactic of taking Vic Country kids who are close mates has worked in keeping them in QLD... it may be something the GC should look at too.

Under the current AFL model the Cats can skip Clark and pick up another talent knowing Clark will probably return to them in 2 years time for a future third rounder :rolleyes:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In light of the franchises bleeding players back to Vic, you wonder if GC takes Ollie Hollands to pair with his brother.

It's a big stretch but if it's pretty even between 5-15 then they may consider it.

Brissie's tactic of taking Vic Country kids who are close mates has worked in keeping them in QLD... it may be something the GC should look at too.
If that was the case, you'd be asking the question about swapping picks with them.

I wouldn't do the deal as I've said, but there's a clear top 5 including Ashcroft

Pick 4 means we get one of those guys

Bing is still contracted for 2 more years
Thought Bing was this year and next only? Either way we're not ready for him and need to Draft.

I'm sticking with P9.
I'm taking Phillipou- he's young for the Draft crop, 3 days off being eligible for next year's draft.

Phillipou or Mackenzie, I don't think there's an extreme gap in quality between them and Pick 4.

WC moved down. Essendon are open to it. Tells you it's pretty even.

I've read that they're into Humphrey, which fits that narrative as a Forward/Mid like a Petracca.

Either way, one of Humphrey/Phillipou/Mackenzie will suit us fine.

Mattaes Phillipou​

Size, class, and a lethal left foot.

Would not at ALL be unhappy with him at #9.

55B8EDFA-597D-40A4-A4E1-4F8E7A9C1E26.jpeg C6F10CA6-1E0B-4176-AAEC-4A539EF19087.jpeg 5AC39946-3561-4F12-9359-06B28C077F00.jpeg

Ok so tell me of the players in our range at 11–
Which one reeks of arrogance like a strutting Jack ginnavon/chad Warner type rooster?
Because that’s the one I want, an arrogant bastard with a bit of mongrel.
No more choir boys.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2022 Draft Thread - Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

Back