Play Nice Is it time to replace Woodside as sponsor?

Is it time to replace Woodside as sponsor?

• Yes

Votes: 29 18.2%
  • No

Votes: 130 81.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

No one really knows. None of the studies can properly account for all the various tipping points and their knock-on effects but I found these couple of articles interesting.

I'm also investing in a few of these areas myself. My money's mostly on carbon neutral cement.

Thanks I will take a look. The studies I have read indicate a high end 1 degree over 70 years with nothing being done to mitigate the issue. Which is silly as we have consistently brought emissions down for the last decade or so.

I am in Bees, a non profit play to stop them being killed here, Solar batteries trying to store power for x4 what they do now. And a cladding solution which is roughly 60% better than what is used now.

I wasn't calling you a fascist personally, it was rhetorical.
You seem to like judging how others post while not being able to take responsibility for what was a very badly worded load of nonsense post you made yourself. Not even most climate scientists quote 3-4 degrees.

Hi all,

Pardon the intrusion, I think the aversity to such sponsors is gaining traction, won't be long before we'll have players speaking out against our Emirates sponsorship.

What I think would be prudent for any sporting organization as Taylor alluded. Is to first determine the amount of sponsorship that these sponsors deliver and then go about sourcing a more palatable sponsor that will provide the same or equal amount.

I don't think Freo is gonna just dump Woodside just as a show of symbolism, I imagine the sponsor $ are too important for that.

You seem to like judging how others post while not being able to take responsibility for what was a very badly worded load of nonsense post you made yourself. Not even most climate scientists quote 3-4 degrees.
Semantics. And debatable.

I'm not judging anyone either.

I love it when us humans go on about climate change (which I believe is absolute fact) digging up the ground burning coal and oil, using water from aquifers...all that shit is not the problem, YOU ARE THE PROBLEM, the only problem that no government (bar china at one time in history)ever talks about is OVER POPULATION. WE ARE THE PROBLEM!

We are cutting down forests and bushland to make way for humans, we are burning oil coal for humans, eating all the other species of animals for survival, we are running out of water so we can recreate and populate. The earth has one set size of land to live on (getting smaller due to sea levels rising) yet our population is getting bigger and bigger and bigger and bigger.

All this other shit is just dribble, until leaders of the world do something about over population, nothing will change, maybe we can slow it down but it is inevitable that if the amount of humans keep increasing, eventually we are doomed.

There is only a certain amount of fruit that you can fit in a fruit bowl.

I wonder how Woodside are feeling.

Your president gave a weak sauce interview with little defense of Woodside.

It's got your own supporter base filled with people that work in the industry and boomers riled up.

If I was Woodside I'd ask for his sack immediately or either cut the cord. This discussion is still going on because your president failed to put out the flames and decided to both sides it.

Also he expressed the contract ends soon for two reasons

1) Fleece woodside for some more money in new contract
2) Distance themselves

None of it is good in Woodside view. Also juding by the responses it seems like the public is railing against this. Talk about not reading the situation.

Most importantly I can't believe no player has stuck up to Woodside! The first player to will most likely get set up for life. If I was a AFL player I'd be out there batting for them.

I love it when us humans go on about climate change (which I believe is absolute fact) digging up the ground burning coal and oil, using water from aquifers...all that s**t is not the problem, YOU ARE THE PROBLEM, the only problem that no government (bar china at one time in history)ever talks about is OVER POPULATION. WE ARE THE PROBLEM!

We are cutting down forests and bushland to make way for humans, we are burning oil coal for humans, eating all the other species of animals for survival, we are running out of water so we can recreate and populate. The earth has one set size of land to live on (getting smaller due to sea levels rising) yet our population is getting bigger and bigger and bigger and bigger.

All this other s**t is just dribble, until leaders of the world do something about over population, nothing will change, maybe we can slow it down but it is inevitable that if the amount of humans keep increasing, eventually we are doomed.

Growth is slowing though. We'll hit about 10 billion then start to decline as that also coincides with 2100 and climate catastrophe:

Screenshot 2022-10-19 at 11.53.20.png

The rationale is that Woodside are a resource company, they don't burn the gas and oil they produce.. Consumers do.

If there is less demand then there will be less supply.

Woodside provide domestic gas that powers a lot of WA. If it was turned off without an alternative energy source a lot of businesses would close and there probably wouldn't be much food on the shelves at the supermarket.
I like that everyone's so interested but I think there are some wrong assumptions here that might actually reflect that their advertising is working. I don't think the general public know the numbers, just what's on the poster.

Did you know domestic gas would be in the order of 4% of woodsides total energy production. They're not keeping the lights on.

I love it when us humans go on about climate change (which I believe is absolute fact) digging up the ground burning coal and oil, using water from aquifers...all that s**t is not the problem, YOU ARE THE PROBLEM, the only problem that no government (bar china at one time in history)ever talks about is OVER POPULATION. WE ARE THE PROBLEM!

All this other s**t is just dribble, until leaders of the world do something about over population, nothing will change, maybe we can slow it down but it is inevitable that if the amount of humans keep increasing, eventually we are doomed.

nah thats solved already.
everybody apart from africa and parts of the middle east have a declining population due to birth rate.

china and india alone account for close to 40% of the world population.
china had its one child policy which means they will lose half of their population by the end of the century.
India recently passed population replacement rate. it will decline further likely to quite low rates. if you are already at replacement rates before you urbanize (which crushes birth rates) become majority educated which crushes birth rates. not talking about their very well educated professional class which is a minority. before women get more control and say in their lives which crushes birth rates.

rest of asia is at or below replacement rates. latin america is below replacement rates. so is north america. europe is, we are.

No. Im making a seperate point. I'm trying to get support for a different cause by pointing out that dropping Woodside will achieve nothing. I want to get as people angry at gambling advertising during sporting events and of major codes like Rugby League to make that a cause for as many Fremantle supporters as possible.
What's wrong with a challenge... we don't only back the things we think will succeed. I mean... we support the dockers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The rationale is that Woodside are a resource company, they don't burn the gas and oil they produce.. Consumers do.

Woodside provide domestic gas that powers a lot of WA. If it was turned off without an alternative energy source a lot of businesses would close and there probably wouldn't be much food on the shelves at the supermarket.

Yes you can put all the responsibility on the customer. You would have to make a comparison to the tobacco industry. This requires the consumer to be completely informed of the risks i.e. no sponsorships, no advertising and some generic packaging on the ol' lng ship picturing the Sydney bushfires.

Always good to see people care about a topic either way.

Anyways, personally I look forward to our new sponsor, ruoccos pizza.

The usual "if you drive a car or a plastic bag you better not advocate against oil and gas". Its just gaslighting individuals and suggests a persons 5 ton per year impact is just as important as a companies 80 million tons per year impact . A person can advocate for change in society and government regulation without having to exclude themselves from society until its changed.
But that would be hypocritical wouldn't it.

Just like your local kingpin heroin dealer/trafficker is just a simple business person. It's not their fault people want to buy their product. It's just a supply and demand issue.

Will one of the enlightened folk tell me what exactly "clean energy" is?

Solar? - from what and how are solar panels made and how are they disposed of once their used by date is reached!
Wind? Again how are those giant wind turbines made and with what?

Please wake me when fusion power is finally viable and useable and I'll work to get them to sponsor Freo!

This is pretty funny.

You are too caught up in the crap the left carried on about ten years ago. Now the research is showing that under population is the new problem.

A sense of some redundant splitting of hairs in the offing...to avoid that sidebar distraction, here's something to help outline the concept.

climate change an “existential threat”?
yes i think its an existential threat however, i also don't think we currently have the ability to solve it.
if i know anything about humans is that getting them to accept declining living standards isn't going to happen.
good news is that i think we will solve it. Once the cheaper alternative is invented in regards to alternatives and nuclear then we will adopt it.

They could utilize the power of thermal energy generated by the copious amount of hot air coming from the 6 betters that penned the letter?

But then again, it wouldn't be a purely clean form of energy. Damn it, thought I was on to something....

There's some absolute rubbish in here.

The usual "if you drive a car or a plastic bag you better not advocate against oil and gas". Its just gaslighting individuals and suggests a persons 5 ton per year impact is just as important as a companies 80 million tons per year impact . A person can advocate for change in society and government regulation without having to exclude themselves from society until its changed.

This is just about trying to make sure we form our opinion on woodside based on what it does as a business. Not because they've sponsored your social event, your football club or visited your kids school with Gary the gas molecule.
What a load of shit.

Everyone knows what Woodside do, and everyone benefits from it, even if they don't know it. Whether that be from cheap energy, petroleum products, direct employment, indirect benefits from said employees (eg they spend money in your shops) or the tax they pay. Which is shitloads.

Now, if you're advocating an end to Woodside (and similar companies), you're also advocating for pretty much everyone to sacrifice some of their current standard of living. Some big, some small. So then the question is: What are you sacrificing? Because if the answer is not much (pro tip: the answer is almost always not much) all you're doing is asking others to pay for your indulgence. You're just a hypocrite.

At the absolute bare minimum, you should not be using the products that you claim to be opposed to. Set the example for the rest of us. By doing so, you create the model for society that we can follow. It would be a lot more effective than pointless virtue signalling.

Remove this Banner Ad

Play Nice Is it time to replace Woodside as sponsor?

Back