Play Nice Is it time to replace Woodside as sponsor?

Is it time to replace Woodside as sponsor?

• Yes

Votes: 29 18.2%
  • No

Votes: 130 81.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s a bit hard to know what sort of corporate sponsor would be acceptable to the Green Left.

Car manufacturers are popular but their vehicles burn fossil fuels, banks and insurance companies exploit the underprivileged, airlines produce masses of CO2, mining companies destroy indigenous cultural artefacts.
The options become very limited!

With limited sponsorship there is less money for sport and people in the industry get paid less. Some sports may struggle to continue on a professional basis. Maybe the AFL struggles to support as many teams or, for example, the AFLW.
Climate change isn't political. It's not a left vs right thing.

That 3-4 degree increase isn't going to selectively not flood your house because you're a fascist now is it.

It's green washing. They want to expand further into pristine marine environments. Marine, gettit? Sponsor a football club and distract the locals from what they are doing. They wouldn't do it if it cost them money. Fat chance of any meaningful number of actual real-life supporters caring about it.

If you want to be woke - get Twiggy to sponsor the club..
Oh, hang about he digs up the earth and sends it all to China - even though he is moving to a ‘carbon neutral’ mining????
No win situation

This question is not going to go away. In fact, it's going to be asked more loudly, whether we like it or not.

The climate crisis is existential (let alone fricken expensive) and "approaching" a tipping point. Oil and gas companies are going to be more on the nose as time goes on. The heat, as it were, will only rise on the sponsorship.

Do it now or in 12 months' time, but Woodside won't be the sponsor in 2024.

Existential? Have you got a link to the study that shows that?

I have read a lot of long range reports and non go close to that even without further intervention. Have you got a link? I am heavily invested in a couple of start ups in the space.
No one really knows. None of the studies can properly account for all the various tipping points and their knock-on effects but I found these couple of articles interesting.

I'm also investing in a few of these areas myself. My money's mostly on carbon neutral cement.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's some absolute rubbish in here.

The usual "if you drive a car or a plastic bag you better not advocate against oil and gas". Its just gaslighting individuals and suggests a persons 5 ton per year impact is just as important as a companies 80 million tons per year impact . A person can advocate for change in society and government regulation without having to exclude themselves from society until its changed.

This is just about trying to make sure we form our opinion on woodside based on what it does as a business. Not because they've sponsored your social event, your football club or visited your kids school with Gary the gas molecule.

Once again a minority trying to dictate what we should do. The AFL, Foxtel and 6PR, etc. should start with banning all monies from all of the sports betting agencies due to the damage they cause individuals before we worry about stopping sponsorship from companies like Woodside. Fremantle’s other corporate sponsors include beer company Pirate Life, fast food giant McDonalds, betting agency TABtouch and Crown. All of those are not good for physical or mental health so do we stop all of them also??
I completely agree. You are talking about a major sponsor who has been exceptionally loyal to the club over the years too. Cancelling all gambling advertising would do much more to help the community than cancelling an oil and gas company currently too. I've got family in England. The energy crisis there is due to issues with RE and is staggering. Currently and for the forceable future the world needs fossil fuels to produce the energy to power the transition to RE all over the world. Companies like Woodside will make huge profits while we are transitioning with or without sponsoring sporting teams.

The usual "if you drive a car or a plastic bag you better not advocate against oil and gas". Its just gaslighting individuals and suggests a persons 5 ton per year impact is just as important as a companies 80 million tons per year impact . A person can advocate for change in society and government regulation without having to exclude themselves from society until its changed.

This is just about trying to make sure we form our opinion on woodside based on what it does as a business. Not because they've sponsored your social event, your football club or visited your kids school with Gary the gas molecule.

People should have their own house in order before trying to banish Woodside

Actually I'm sick to death of people saying things like you've just said. The main reason why so many issues are unresolved in society is because of the very view that it's ok for people to advocate for a change while doing nothing themselves to actually help create the changes they are advocating for.

Its a fact. The world desperately needs more energy to transition and currently the world needs oil and gas companies or that transition won't happen.

Meanwhile I know of two people who have committed suicide as a result of gambling but go get outraged at a company that if it did fold currently would in reality result in slowing down the transition towards higher use of RE.

I hope we cut all ties with betting agencies, before Woodside
It's gotten to a ludicrous level of saturation on the TV broadcast.
These morons should realise we're in a privileged box seat to have these big companies on board as a mining state. I like having Woodside as a principal sponsor at Freo and don't take it for granted. Over the years other clubs like Port have struggled with major sponsors.

This happened a couple of years ago where protestors crashed the Perth Fringe opening night. They wanted them to dump Woodside as a principal sponsor. Only for event organisers to say Fringe wouldn't exist without these kinds of big players supporting them!

Protesters are going to lead busy lives crashing surf live saving and nippers events, Freo games, NAIDOC events, Leeuwin Ocean Adventure foundation, WA ballet and youth orchestra, community rec centre openings and volunteer work initiatives. Along with all the other various things Woodside supports.

This is like a group of vegan protestors walking in to Outback Jack's and demanding everyone stop eating meat. This is where Freo politely tell them to **** off and concentrate on winning games of footy not pandering to a group of people clutching at their own self importance.
"I think that generally people have things that are more within their personal purview that are difficult to deal with, and that they're avoiding, and generally the way they avoid them is by adopting pseudo-moralistic stances on large scale social issues so they look good to their friends and their neighbours.”

I don't get it... How does Woodside sponsorship of a footy team materially affect climate change?

If punters want to make a difference go plant a tree, ride your bike to work, turn more lights off, get solar panels, get an electric car, don't waste food, don't be materialistic.

BTW most large coporates have a significant budget to invest in community as part of their social licence, which I would imagine is why they sponsor the dockers... Personally I think they have been a good sponsor.
As an example I'm really proud of dockers strong indigenous history and Woodside helped to establish and implement their reconciliation plan.

Easy to use a broad brush is all I'm saying...

People should have their own house in order before trying to banish Woodside
Depends on two things.

What you think an orderly house is for an individual. Are they expected to create their own energy system

And then how orderly you perceive woodsides current state to be.

Would honestly like to know why you think they're doing a great job.

Remove this Banner Ad

Play Nice Is it time to replace Woodside as sponsor?

Back