Training 2023 Pre Season

Remove this Banner Ad

On another forum/site, folks saying former WB Zaine Cordy couldn't keep up with training.
Several 400m repeats, and he was 50m off the back.
During one run, he gave up and stopped.

If he was injured, he wouldn't have been doing it- just laps in the pool maybe.

Is he complacent and believed our squad is so bad that he doesn't need to be fit?

On another forum/site, folks saying former WB Zaine Cordy couldn't keep up with training.

Is he complacent and believed our squad is so bad that he doesn't need to be fit?
Doogs got lapped in his first time trial with us..

Were not even a tiny bit aware of what players are told to do with these things

SS stressheads strike again?

Some mids even struggle. Steven was no world beater. I’d worry if it was hill or windhanger who need to be very fit to do their role. Actually this seems to be the first year hill is back to his running best. I’m expecting him to be most improved out of the older players. Him and cordy especially if cordy is as fit as they say.

Interesting and somewhat surprising to note Wood working in there with the mids at centre bounces, though I can see how having a bigger body in there from time to time could be a good changeup. He's been a bloody good pickup for us, has a good mix of traits we don't have in other players. Elite endurance, good in the air, and importantly can find the goals as well. Hearing that he won the Best Clubman award last year shows how well regarded he is inside the club, and kinda cool some of the young players call him "Dad" 😀.

He has obviously worked hard since arriving at the club and is making the most of a second chance, good on him. Certainly has been a much better pickup than I thought he'd be and to top it off just seems like an all round good bloke.

Go Mase! 👍
It's so weird to me that they call him Dad because a few years ago he was the young gun from North with unlimited potential. Life comes at you fast!

They do a lot of timed runs. It could have easily been he stopped running once his timer was up and because he is slower, the track watchers have taken it as him just giving up because he ran less than others in his group.

As long as he can run the required distance to play full back, I wouldn't be too concerned about where he sits in large group runs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m the one who reported on Cordy..far from a stress head!
If you think it’s acceptable for a player with 8 years AFL experience to fall 50 metres behind in 400 metre runs is acceptable, well let’s say it’s not with me & I’m sure the boss wouldn’t have missed it.

Reckon someone posted pre-xmas about the dogs not having big expectations on their running and that Bruce was suprised when he went there. If so it wouldnt have been a priority for him as a KPP. Dont imagine many of the AA KPD's (May, Andrews, McGovern) are great repeat 400m runners.

The fact that he gave up on a run is a little disappointing but most of us have been in that position at some stage. Hopefully he is improving with it and his one on one work is holding up.

I’m the one who reported on Cordy..far from a stress head!
If you think it’s acceptable for a player with 8 years AFL experience to fall 50 metres behind in 400 metre runs is acceptable, well let’s say it’s not with me & I’m sure the boss wouldn’t have missed it.
Who was he running with or was it a whole squad thing?

I find it rather amusing that posters are continually making excuses for Cordy. Seemed like a really bad idea at the time and anything that has been reported since has just been more and more worrying. Yeah we needed key defensive depth but this guy could barely be considered a key defender. As far as backmen not needing to be too strong at repeat sprints, a vaguely mobile key forward will be demanding his opponent follow him on repeated leads. The Cordster will be cooked by quarter time. 💩

I find it rather amusing that posters are continually making excuses for Cordy. Seemed like a really bad idea at the time and anything that has been reported since has just been more and more worrying. Yeah we needed key defensive depth but this guy could barely be considered a key defender. As far as backmen not needing to be too strong at repeat sprints, a vaguely mobile key forward will be demanding his opponent follow him on repeated leads. The Cordster will be cooked by quarter time. 💩
It's more that he hasn't played a game yet. If he has been signed as depth then he is a lot better than Joyce so he's already an upgrade.

There's no point stamping a trade as a fail until we've at least seen him play. He may end up being very handy.

he is a lot better than Joyce so he's already an upgrade

I think that's the context we need to be focusing on.

We're talking about Darragh Joyce's replacement... not max kings.... (or indeed any other starting 22 guy.)

Storm in a teacup even if it turns out cordy IS a fat, slow, falldown drunk.

If he is, he'll always have a home here with us on bf.

It's more that he hasn't played a game yet. If he has been signed as depth then he is a lot better than Joyce so he's already an upgrade.

There's no point stamping a trade as a fail until we've at least seen him play. He may end up being very handy.
Also, he was a FA so we didn't give up anything and we were still able to draft some upside types with our later picks instead of using them to get that defensive cover.

Unlike all the cool heads on here , Yeah Nah
Feck , some were making out the world had ended when Max did his shoulder

Shouldn’t we wait for actual footy before we have a go at him. Michael Johnson would win 400 metre runs but plenty but I’d back cordy to spoil him when he goes for a mark. I reckon you have to watch nearly every session before you panic. He could have been unwell or only required to run at a certain speed.

Shouldn’t we wait for actual footy before we have a go at him. Michael Johnson would win 400 metre runs but plenty but I’d back cordy to spoil him when he goes for a mark. I reckon you have to watch nearly every session before you panic. He could have been unwell or only required to run at a certain speed.
Exactly. I saw the same thing with Stocker at one of the sessions I went to. Who knows? He might have done a session in the gym before they hit the track, might have been told to back off in the 400s, might have gone too hard too early in the rest of the session.
Let’s wait until they play some games and see how they go. If they don’t measure up then we can see if this Michael Johnson bloke is worth a shot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Training 2023 Pre Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back