Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2022, part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dunno. Port could be a surprise packet this year.
Beware the team I say whose long-term coach has just survived the previous season by the skin of their teeth.
Thompson in 07, Clarkson 13, Hardwick 17, even Goodwin in 21 and Scott in 22.
Things turn around quickly.
Difference is Geelong in 07, Hawks in 13, Tigers in 17, Goodwin in 21 and Scott in 22 had multiple players who were elite. Who do Port have who are elite besides Wines?

Difference is Geelong in 07, Hawks in 13, Tigers in 17, Goodwin in 21 and Scott in 22 had multiple players who were elite. Who do Port have who are elite besides Wines?
Every side has good players. Only takes a small step up, and playing to the right system, for many to become elite.
We didn't look like world-beaters at the start of 07, nor the demons in the summer of 21. Did the tigers really have any elite players? Dusty for a few games in September?
Each of these sides were successful because they mastered a system that was very very difficult to beat. Only afterwards do the pundits start fawning over all their 'elite' players.

Every side has good players. Only takes a small step up, and playing to the right system, for many to become elite.
We didn't look like world-beaters at the start of 07, nor the demons in the summer of 21. Did the tigers really have any elite players? Dusty for a few games in September?
Each of these sides were successful because they mastered a system that was very very difficult to beat. Only afterwards do the pundits start fawning over all their 'elite' players.
Those teams had elite players in those teams that just hadn't put it together, and then had other players step up. By 2006 everyone knew that Chapman was a match winner, Johnson was something special, Scarlett was top 2 FB in the league, etc.

Could go through all those teams and find players who were elite before guys like Ablett, Bartel, Kelly went beast mode in 2007.

Same as Hawks 2012. Demons 2020. Geelong 2021. Richmond 2016.

Who do Port have that are elite players.

Beware the team I say whose long-term coach has just survived the previous season by the skin of their teeth.

Alot of teams re 23 - it is so hard to pick - just look at Geel this time last year - i would not have backed the Cats at a million to 1 for the flag

I watched a game i think about 5-6 weeks before the end of last season Freo v Port in Perth - 3qtr time Freo were 7-8 goals in front - Port rattled on the 1st 6 goals of the last qtr ( Freo looked like a rabble ) Gray and someone else had set shots to bring the margin under a goal ( they both missed ) if they had not of - they would have won for sure

I think Hinkley is a slack coach - he kept picking Motlop for the last 2-3 years - he was finished - Kenny has allways been a big talker ( with that Car salesman background ) - i think alot of Port supporters if they had to - they would get down on their hand and knees and beg - if it meant a change of coach

Alot of clubs could do something in 23 - its very hard to pick - i just keep coming back to the premise - which clubs would go in confident of beating Geel - and the 2 clear standouts for me ( given recent past performances - and where they currently sit - and how they have traded and all the rest of it ) are Richmond and Collingwood

Those teams had elite players in those teams that just hadn't put it together, and then had other players step up. By 2006 everyone knew that Chapman was a match winner, Johnson was something special, Scarlett was top 2 FB in the league, etc.

Could go through all those teams and find players who were elite before guys like Ablett, Bartel, Kelly went beast mode in 2007.

Same as Hawks 2012. Demons 2020. Geelong 2021. Richmond 2016.

Who do Port have that are elite players.
I'd only be listing the players that everyone already knows are very good- Boak, Wines, Rozee, Butters, Geogiadis, Byrne-Jones and so on. It wasn't a fluke that they finished top of the ladder only a couple of seasons ago.
Anyway, we'll see. They certainly don't seem to have the kind of depth that we do. But things can change quickly.

In the case of many of those teams, we didn’t know they had elite players until after each season. Could be Rozee, JHF, Houston, Butters, Marshall, Byrne-Jones etc.

We know they have 2 and a half elite players. Wines, Aliir and Dixon (when fit).

Wouldn't surprise me. They underperformed last year substantially

Had a Christmas day debate ... If JHF was at Geelong ..I believe he would still be at Geelong and happy. Maybe he returns to SA eventually but my bet a winning side and culture would have seen a different outcome.
It would have at the least increased the offer from Port to get him to leave. They could have offered him a big Mac to leave North and he would have gone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Talent only gets you so far..
Agreed. Sad for Quinton, no doubt. Would have probably been a 150-game senior player if he'd been running around in the same era as his uncle. But modern footy is very unforgiving for the directionally-challenged footballer.

Agreed. Sad for Quinton, no doubt. Would have probably been a 150-game senior player if he'd been running around in the same era as his uncle. But modern footy is very unforgiving for the directionally-challenged footballer.

I wouldn't be surprised if he was on something of borrowed time after the early impressions he made at Richmond training before Xmas - when looking for a second chance, it's generally not a good idea to turn up carrying a few extra kgs & being at the back of the pack in the time trial

Good luck to him with what comes next - be interesting to see if there's an offer in the VFL or if he looks to return to WA

I wouldn't be surprised if he was on something of borrowed time after the early impressions he made at Richmond training before Xmas - when looking for a second chance, it's generally not a good idea to turn up carrying a few extra kgs & being at the back of the pack in the time trial

Good luck to him with what comes next - be interesting to see if there's an offer in the VFL or if he looks to return to WA
Would he help GWS do you think.
Does any other club pick him up?
If not, I guess WAFL offers the best money outside AFL I believe

Would he help GWS do you think.
Does any other club pick him up?
If not, I guess WAFL offers the best money outside AFL I believe

He has the talent, but many a Geelong fan has long questioned his application & dedication in terms of training and intensity he brings

While it would be good for him to get another opportunity, I wonder if he may be better for him if he was somewhat forced back to VFL/WAFL/SANFL level for a year - being put into a situation where he has to show he really wants it, may be the turning point in getting the best out of him

Sad for Quinton personally not to get that second chance. 41 AFL games as a cat is an achievement.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but in the recorded history of our club I think he's the first player to have designed the jersey.
Hope he ends up at WCE with JJ in the near future.

Sad for Quinton personally not to get that second chance. 41 AFL games as a cat is an achievement.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but in the recorded history of our club I think he's the first player to have designed the jersey.

He did get a second chance, but turned up over weight and unfit.
Talent will only allow you to ride so far, talented enough to get on an AFL list, not disciplined enough to stay there.

He has the talent, but many a Geelong fan has long questioned his application & dedication in terms of training and intensity he brings

While it would be good for him to get another opportunity, I wonder if he may be better for him if he was somewhat forced back to VFL/WAFL/SANFL level for a year - being put into a situation where he has to show he really wants it, may be the turning point in getting the best out of him
Yep, this. he had his free shot provided by his mate. Now go back and earn that third go. A burst of 'desire' during the holidays is not going to cut it.

He did get a second chance, but turned up over weight and unfit.
Talent will only allow you to ride so far, talented enough to get on an AFL list, not disciplined enough to stay there.
Put it in perspective.
He was pick 60 in the draft.
Not a supremely gifted player. Played 41 games for our club. Very few play more than a handful from that deep in the draft.
And still, his lasting contribution to our club amounted to a lot more than what he did on the field.
If that's what someone's footy career amounts to, let's just acknowledge it for what it is. Not speculate about their fitness being the reason he wasn't given another go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back