Player Watch Pick #51 (2017) - Kane Farrell

Remove this Banner Ad

Good call but you might want to get your eyes checked. Bonner is about 10cm taller than Farrell
Wow I have never looked up their heights. Very suprised Bonner is 190cm. I would feel more comfortable with Farrell playing on them 190cm type forwards due to his leap.

Wow I have never looked up their heights. Very suprised Bonner is 190cm. I would feel more comfortable with Farrell playing on them 190cm type forwards due to his leap.
I think one of Bonner's weaknesses is that he doesn't use his height very effectively. He plays smaller than he is. Farrell has become very effective above his head

One thing I learned this weekend was that Farrell played exclusively off half back as a junior prior to being drafted. It's only once Port picked him up that they moved him to half forward/wing.

No surprise in that regard that he looks such a natural down back. Glad that the coaches gave it a shot at the end of last year and that they persisted with it over summer, because it is well and truly paying dividends.

The knock on this guy was his lack of intensity. It is amazing how he has turned that around - typified by that mark on teh weekend. One of the most complete transformations I have seen at Port. The increased intensity has also helped him become more consistent in terms of actually getting the ball.
THere might be hope for Bonner yet!

Role player? He's bordering on being a star.

I appreciate Farrell has matured as an individual and thus owns his personal improvement. but I feel the football instructions coming from the coaches box has improved, allowing players to shine.

removing the coach from the coaches box has been a stroke of genius!

I appreciate Farrell has matured as an individual and thus owns his personal improvement. but I feel the football instructions coming from the coaches box has improved, allowing players to shine.

removing the coach from the coaches box has been a stroke of genius!
Yeah, there is an element that Hinkley was such a poor coach and Carr is such a great coach that it has become blatantly obvious that players are accountable, allowed to play good, attacking footy but with a defensive mindset and most importantly, being put in a position to succeed.

The only real issue at the moment left is the ruck situation which has reared its ugly head and a key position defender which we have done well with what we have got. We haven't quite got the wings working on all gears either but they are fine enough.

There is still some transitioning to go through with this team and whether we win or lose the whole shebang, we will know where we sit with certain players, especially some of the older ones.

Farrell has been put into his natural position and has allowed his natural gifts of the sweetest boot in the team this side of Houston to become quite devastating. He knows what he has to do every week and has been pretty tight on some guys this year and has raised his one on one, contested, hard at it play.

I know he is a bit old now but it has always driven me a bit nuts during Hinkley's tenure that McKenzie's massive kick wasn't exploited to help the team more. It was wasted a bit at full back but he has done well there. It also drove me nuts that Clurey who had a huge tank at the combine played at full back and not 3rd tall.

The other guy who coached well and put guys in a position to succeed and got the most out of them was the great Jack Cahill.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lol Carr is such a great coach that he managed to shift Farrell to half back before he was even appointed assistant of Port Adelaide…since Farrell went to defence in the back half of last year.

He has developed superbly since being a flaky outside flanker in his early days. Makes good position, can defend and his kick is, as we know, a weapon. That mark he took against Essendon under the feet of the thundering pack was a thing of beauty.

Lol Carr is such a great coach that he managed to shift Farrell to half back before he was even appointed assistant of Port Adelaide…since Farrell went to defence in the back half of last year.

chris parnell wizard GIF

2 year Contract Extension

POWER BACKMAN SIGNS ON

Port Adelaide defender Kane Farrell will remain at Alberton for at least two more seasons.

The 24-year-old has secured a two-year extension that will take him through to free agency at the end of 2025.

2 year Contract Extension

POWER BACKMAN SIGNS ON

Port Adelaide defender Kane Farrell will remain at Alberton for at least two more seasons.

The 24-year-old has secured a two-year extension that will take him through to free agency at the end of 2025.

From the same story:
Port Adelaide has also re-signed Dylan Williams for a further two seasons, after last week extending Trent McKenzie for 2024. – Josh Gabelich

Been away for awhile - knew about McKenzie but know nothing about Dylan. Yes there were rumours but I think that’s all and the only email from the club was about Trent.
Dylan would be more newsworthy as he is currently on the rookie list and you would think that he would be getting back onto the main list - if that’s a thing currently (Not sure if that happens)
This story about a 2 year contract came via the AFL app.

This is great news.

Considering the complete change of the backline, he has done really well and I think he still has some improving to do.

Last year the backline was a bit of a dog's breakfast but Carr and the elite midfield seems to have helped change the dynamic down there.

Hopefully a tall young back comes from somewhere, either internally or through drafting or trading.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Pick #51 (2017) - Kane Farrell

Remove this Banner Ad

Back