Coach Men's Senior Coach: Brad Scott

Remove this Banner Ad

Who’s calling for the coach to be sacked? Did you even read my posts above where I said i rate Scott?
Sorry, I missed that. I think the issue is that so many of your posts in the Brad Scott thread don't mention Brad Scott.

The sky isn't falling. We are pretty much exactly where we should have expected to be. Fringe of the 8.

I agree, the list has some holes. But that's not news. Letting the last 20 years affect thinking right now is insane. The club has to maintain faith it's on the right track and make good calls to improve the list each year for the next few summers. Continually bringing the "it's been 20 years" guff into the conversation just creates additional urgency and doubt which aren't useful.

Not sure where the new CEO stands, but Dodoro has the senior players, former champions, and the board on his side, so you need to convince them that change is required.

Mahoney's near-critical error was telling them about problems instead of letting them see it for themselves, but it seems Scott's approach will give them that.

Scott's man management, game day strategy and improved team defence exposes the full potential and the limitations of the list, just as it is intended to do.
I opened this thread to write some kind of 'honeymoon is over' type comment - that he can still show faith in a player's ability to develop by consigning to the VFL.

Do you seriously believe that Weideman being continually selected is some kind of Machiavellian scheme to open the eyes of those mentioned in your first par? That's what your second par suggests when you say "seems". So, it's either by accident or by design. If it's by accident, then the honeymoon is over; selection table policy re Weid needs to change. If it's by design, the risk to the culture change I identified last night will impact the playing group in the immediate term on the gamble that it will open the eyes of those people to change the culture of the club in the long term.

Do you really think that's something Scott would do?

That’s now 3 ‘failure to launch’ games this year where we just didn’t show up.

I guess we just accept that that’s a thing with us, a side will come out and punch us in the face with 10 minutes of good footy and that’s all she wrote.

I meant the list isn't that far off in terms of who is on it, as opposed to how it's performing.

With a strictly applied salary cap, equalisation has had its intended consequences: anyone can win on any given week, and 'not far off' isn't good enough anymore, because lots of clubs are 'not far off' and they're all in the same log jam between 5th and 12th. The good part is that the gap can be closed relatively quickly, and most clubs seem competent enough to take that step once in a while.

At Essendon our list management has always favoured long-term sustainability, continually renewing a few spots at a time via the draft and considering ourselves as a draft-and-develop club – we've never done what other clubs do by investing heavily in developing a core group over consecutive drafts that learn together, develop team chemistry, and hit their peaks as a group. Ultimately, that's what gives you "sustained success" over a period of 3-5 years, rather than a flag every 18 years on average. The 18-22 bracket atm is the first to have that potential.

The rest of the club is less miles off than it was two years ago, but there are still problems. Like they've invested in Indigenous programs, development programs, VFL program, high performance (injury management, strength and conditioning), and there's something going on culturally that vaguely resembles a modern football club. The high performance and VFL programs have yet to have any pay-off, but results hopefully follow the off-season.
This is what the AFL want to make you believe. There is no equalisation. The big clubs continue to rule. Free agency, players getting traded from small clubs to big clubs just for picks. Sponsors and ambassador money enables players to get paid well outside salary cap. Some clubs have big sponsors.

The fact is Dodoro doesn’t believe in proper rebuilds which you need to do instead of constantly ‘rebuilding on the run’ which is a term for recruiting players when you’re not good enough and should be rebuilding. Instead mid table finishes and average picks looks like our next decade much like the last 6 years.

We are 3 guns away from being close. People saying we need more role players clearly didn’t watch our team of role players get flogged last night.

As far as the coach goes I am more interested in 2024 / 2025 as far as what he does personal wise . This year for me was simply about seeing if he could get the players on board with some sort of team defense and seeing some effort on a consistent basis. I think he was always going to back the senior players in as he arrived as coach too late to be moving and shaking the list.

As far as the coach goes I am more interested in 2024 / 2025 as far as what he does personal wise . This year for me was simply about seeing if he could get the players on board with some sort of team defense and seeing some effort on a consistent basis. I think he was always going to back the senior players in as he arrived as coach too late to be moving and shaking the list.

Yep. He came after the trade period. This year was always about seeing what is available.

Scott would be running things at training as well that are more selection style activities rather than strictly teaching or practicing activities.

Yep. He came after the trade period. This year was always about seeing what is available.

Scott would be running things at training as well that are more selection style activities rather than strictly teaching or practicing activities.
Absolutely, he has mentioned that a few times. This is the assessment year.

The key was to get players onside and not gut the club. He has achieved that.

Next phase is list management. I don't see wholesale changes but hopefully he can see clearly what holes need filling.

Absolutely, he has mentioned that a few times. This is the assessment year.

The key was to get players onside and not gut the club. He has achieved that.

Next phase is list management. I don't see wholesale changes but hopefully he can see clearly what holes need filling.

Reckon this offseason we see some ti Kering around the edges and then next season we see a big change.

Let’s face it, we’re not going anywhere with the current list. It’s just not good enough. It’s plainly obvious for any non-biased observer to see.

The one thing we need is fresh ideas in list management so we can give our frequently appointed coaches an actual chance. Dodo has gone through 4 premiership coaches now, yet somehow he’s not to blame. It’s just baffling.
Baby
Bath water

I opened this thread to write some kind of 'honeymoon is over' type comment - that he can still show faith in a player's ability to develop by consigning to the VFL.

Do you seriously believe that Weideman being continually selected is some kind of Machiavellian scheme to open the eyes of those mentioned in your first par? That's what your second par suggests when you say "seems". So, it's either by accident or by design. If it's by accident, then the honeymoon is over; selection table policy re Weid needs to change. If it's by design, the risk to the culture change I identified last night will impact the playing group in the immediate term on the gamble that it will open the eyes of those people to change the culture of the club in the long term.

Do you really think that's something Scott would do?
It is his stated intention to use this year to learn about the players and see where the list is at.

The Machiavellian part depends on your level of cynicism.

I didn’t mention Weid, or Shiel or Parish or Kelly or anyone else who is the flavour of the month around here.

I am thinking of things like:

If team defence is properly coached, and properly understood and executed by the players further up the ground, then the defensive unit should not be under the pump all game every game.

This gives them the best possible chance to show what they can do without the lack of team defence and resulting onslaught.

With this in mind, we can judge the defensive line as a whole:
  • How effectively does this line group defend different types of forwards and forward structures? Do we need to invest in our capacity to defend monster-size KPFs, agile flankers, creative smalls, etc? Do we need to work on structures when the opposition plays deep or high or favours a wing?
  • What is the mix of lockdown/intercept/rebound like? Can the defensive unit cover each other to allow us to zone off and intercept or provide rebound?
  • When injuries occur, we expose our depth at the top level — how do they fit into the line group, can they play an role, and what is the quality and capacity for growth in these players? What do we learn from this?
And continue with each of the other lines.

It’s as much about finding out what works with a new group, testing the structures he wants to use and whether they can execute them, and when executed whether it works or if it needs to be tweaked.

But remember that we had an internal review last year that said we needed to invest in player development, VFL, Indigenous etc and had problems with the list lacking the IQ to implement a more sophisticated game plan.

The findings made half the board so upset that they spilled the board in order to sack the coach.

A full external review confirmed the findings of the internal review after all, with a particular focus on issues with alignment and overall stability:
The review is also clear in its recommendation of the need for stronger alignment of the core functions within the football department. The areas of coaching, physical performance, player development plus list management and recruitment have lacked unity and a shared vision that is embraced by all. Creating a strong and unified Football Department is a key priority for General Manager of Football Josh Mahoney and Brad Scott during this off-season period.
What we have now is showing us what our list is capable of with a good, publicly lauded and internally respected coach and a strong investment in player development, and you can certainly see buy in and individual development across the board.

That gives us a good foundation and a wonderful opportunity to consider the overall direction of the list management, coaching, physical performance requirements, and capacity for player development.

And if 3 of the 4 areas are aligned, scrutiny must fall on the fourth area.

Regarding culture and selection table policies; I would expect that all employees have clarity about their role, their KPIs and the next steps for them to continue developing in line with the overall direction of the club.

Frustration is normal if players are motivated and performing in the VFL, and individual motivation and performance is desirable if we want to be a club with selection pressure and quality depth.

These are not in themselves evidence of a cultural problem, but they can become problems if the coach is not a good man manager.

There is no evidence, and no whispers to indicate a cultural issue with man management at Essendon under Brad Scott, and as frustrated as they have a right to be, I doubt our junior players have been given an outsized sense of entitlement under this regime.

“Not entitled to anything but over time we will get what we deserve.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is what the AFL want to make you believe. There is no equalisation.
The proof of what I have said about equalisation and 5th-12th being really even is right in front of you.

The big clubs continue to rule. Free agency, players getting traded from small clubs to big clubs just for picks. Sponsors and ambassador money enables players to get paid well outside salary cap. Some clubs have big sponsors.
We are a big club, we have all of these things, we don’t rule.

If you choose to review the evidence you would already know this.

The fact is Dodoro doesn’t believe in proper rebuilds which you need to do instead of constantly ‘rebuilding on the run’ which is a term for recruiting players when you’re not good enough and should be rebuilding. Instead mid table finishes and average picks looks like our next decade much like the last 6 years.

We are 3 guns away from being close. People saying we need more role players clearly didn’t watch our team of role players get flogged last night.
As far as list assessment goes, I don’t rate randoms on a forum any more than I rate your namesake.

The proof of what I have said about equalisation and 5th-12th being really even is right in front of you.

As far as list assessment goes, I don’t rate randoms on a forum any more than I rate your namesake.
1689472662195.jpeg

You do realise why 5-12 is so even? Bc the top 4 are so far ahead of everyone else except Geelong who have come good.

We are 1-7 from 8 games v top 8 teams. If you think we’re close you’re delusional.

Yeh don’t rate my opinion yet you cry and ban me when I disagree with you. Sad really

You do realise why 5-12 is so even? Bc the top 4 are so far ahead of everyone else except Geelong who have come good.

We are 1-7 from 8 games v top 8 teams. If you think we’re close you’re delusional.

Yeh don’t rate my opinion yet you cry and ban me when I disagree with you. Sad really
collingwood, port, and brissy being good this year is the reason why sydney, freo, geelong, and richmond all fell off and allowed us and the saints to sneak in?

what are you actually talking about? Complete word vomit that.

what are you actually talking about? Complete word vomit that.
The problem is a lot of people overate their own club. We are 1-7 v top 8 teams and aren’t very good yet people think we’re good. If you dare go against your club in these forums you’ll be attacked by others and banned from posting

The problem is a lot of people overate their own club. We are 1-7 v top 8 teams and aren’t very good yet people think we’re good. If you dare go against your club in these forums you’ll be attacked by others and banned from posting
What a load of dribble. There are plenty of posters here who regularly post that we are not that good yet do not get banned.

Well of course, we are supporters. We are going to look at the positives.

However, I have not seen a “**** we are good” narrative. Rather, “wow, I can see improvement and where we are going.”

What annoys me is people like you get a kick from being edgy and pessimistic. “Oh I tell it like it is.” “We are 1-7, I tell the truth.” But you are actually not offering anything constructive.

I actually agree with you (I.e that we aren't that good and are a fair way off genuine premiership contention).
Having that opinion isn't going to get you banned, many posters have argued it all year.

What will get you in trouble is shit trolling, baiting mods/talking about mods on the board and personal attacks or comments about other poster.

Steer clear of this things, you can post about how crap our performance was all you want.

Well of course, we are supporters. We are going to look at the positives.

However, I have not seen a “* we are good” narrative. Rather, “wow, I can see improvement and where we are going.”

What annoys me is people like you get a kick from being edgy and pessimistic. “Oh I tell it like it is.” “We are 1-7, I tell the truth.” But you are actually not offering anything constructive.
Not offering anything constructive? Any time I list problems such as players, trades, team selection and offer potential solutions I get attacked

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Men's Senior Coach: Brad Scott

Remove this Banner Ad

Back